So...I could be dreaming, but here's the scenario... I went to bed last night with ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

StatFreak101 no está en línea Stack level 2

SMS Messages disappearing...

Advertisement

So...I could be dreaming, but here's the scenario...

I went to bed last night with plenty of messages in my "inbox" that I had received over the last few days...I wake up this morning, and all the messages I had gotten or sent from June 27th-29th are gone...and I know that I did not delete them unless I did some crazy stuff in my sleep last night.

Can anyone help? Or does anyone know where messages that are no longer in your inbox go to? Thanks!

And it seems like the only messages left in my inbox are through email.

Where do all the SMS messages go after a week or whatever?

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293
    SF, go into Options - Status and see how much memory you have left. How long have you had your BB? Memory bleed is a known issue with many (all?) BBs. The only way to remedy the problem is to do a battery pull every couple of days or as you notice your memory depleting. Another solution is to download the free app SoftReset, which allows you to reset your BB (essentially the same as a battery pull) by clicking an icon instead of having to physically pull your battery.

Also, it's usually helpful if you tell us your BB and OS. Just an FYI.

jason2nails no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31c33731
    Actually thats not true, if you upgrade to OS 4.3.0.127 it stops most memory leaks, and you can press ALT+LGLG everyday and delete the logs to keep your phone running smooth, but most importantly you need to turn off the memory cleaning application to do this go here options>security settings>memory cleaning>disable.. When this is enabled and the phone gets low on memory it will delete call logs and text messages to keep the phone running, and if you go into options>auto on/off>enable.. set it to turn off and back on everyday, this keeps you from having to do a battery pull... I set mine up to shutdown at 4am and restart at 401am, that way the phone does it itself and i dont have to be bothered, except with erasing logs (ALT+LGLG>menu>clear logs...

I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130...where do I find the OS that you speak of?

Also...I hope this is right...

It says:

File Free: 1184962 Bytes
    File Total: 50462720 Bytes

I assume I am low on memory...how would I go about deleting some things off of my phone that I do not use?

Thanks!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2nails View Post
    Actually thats not true, if you upgrade to OS 4.3.0.127 it stops most memory leaks, and you can press ALT+LGLG everyday and delete the logs to keep your phone running smooth, but most importantly you need to turn off the memory cleaning application to do this go here options>security settings>memory cleaning>disable.. When this is enabled and the phone gets low on memory it will delete call logs and text messages to keep the phone running, and if you go into options>auto on/off>enable.. set it to turn off and back on everyday, this keeps you from having to do a battery pull... I set mine up to shutdown at 4am and restart at 401am, that way the phone does it itself and i dont have to be bothered, except with erasing logs (ALT+LGLG>menu>clear logs...

Sorry but you are wrong about the Memory Cleaner deleting call logs and texts, it does secure garbage collection and clears caches like key stores and content protection. For more on how the memory cleaner works see this link to the official RIM site: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2071365827

Although some software version seem more stable than others, there are also many 3rd party programs that can cause memory issues. It's just a matter of monitoring your BB and having a routine of using something like softreset every couple days......and know your berry. In my experience with my two BBs I have now, powering off then on does not clear up nearly as much memory as using softreset. Here's an OTA link to that if you are interested: http://www.geekandproud.net/blackber.../softreset.jad

and for the newest OS by device: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=86
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

sishgupta no está en línea Stack level 1
    Wow yes, this has happened to me twice. Once a month ago and again today. So frustrating. If anything the last thing i want deleted on my BB is my emails and sms history.

But ive been autobacking up every other day so i shouldn't be too far behind, ill just import the messages.

I checked my file free and I had like 200kB, which sucks. I guess thats what I get for not resetting for a month. I deleted some apps I wasn't using and then reset so how i've got 12MB free.

I'm still running 4.3.0.66 (129?) waiting for 4.5 on Bell Canada.

Anyway,
    thanks for the tips.

PIN/ID
    31c33731
    All I know is what works for me on my pearl since I upgraded OS to 4.3.0.127 and disabled the memory cleaning I no longer get my logs and texts deleted which was happening everyday, www.crackberry.com under forum 8110,8120,8130 there is a sticky at the very top of the page with the link and step by step instructions.. STAT try it and see for yourself if it works on your pearl the way it did on mine.

It says that I have the "30 days" option picked for how long my messages are said to be kept.

I just got my Blackberry Pearl 8130 like 3 weeks ago...so wouldn't I already have the most up to date OS?

PIN/ID
    31c33731
    No when the operating system updates are released, they are released to different carriers at different times. Alltel is running 4.3.0.81 (i think it is) and Sprint is running 4.3.0.127, while verizon is running 4.3.0.97... You can install any carriers operating system for the 8130 series on your phone as long as you delete the vendor file found in the operating system that tells the software to only load onto the carriers phones it was released for..

Quote Originally Posted by jason2nails View Post
    No when the operating system updates are released, they are released to different carriers at different times. Alltel is running 4.3.0.81 (i think it is) and Sprint is running 4.3.0.127, while verizon is running 4.3.0.97... You can install any carriers operating system for the 8130 series on your phone as long as you delete the vendor file found in the operating system that tells the software to only load onto the carriers phones it was released for..
    I have Alltel as a service provider.

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293
    VZ is my carrier and I have Sprint's 4.3.0.127 OS, a la jason2nails. True, I have noticed a slight improvement in memory leak since upgrading to 127, but I still do suffer from leaks. As stated by azstar, it is mainly caused by 3rd party apps--I have the Viigo beta, which is a known memory sucker, as well as vlingo, opera, etc.

Again, I have found that getting softrest and running that once every 2 or 3 days works great and is easy. From your BB, click on the link to softreset in azstar's post above and download the app.

Maybe 4.5 OS will reduce the amount of memory leak but we'll have to wait and see.

PIN/ID
    31c33731
    Yeah STAT as Uncle mentioned he has, you can have a different Carriers OS on your phone, Alltel's OS is outdated by two verisons, verizons .97 and newest out right now is sprint's .127, not like it is a major difference but I think it was worth the download and time..
    I dont use any 3rd apps on my phone besides beyond 411.. so that may be why I dont have memory leaks any more..