ok, so i'm a recent treo 650 convert and i love love love this pearl! ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tdblanchard no está en línea Stack level 1

sms, email, messages in general

Advertisement

ok, so i'm a recent treo 650 convert and i love love love this pearl!
    my only problem so far has been with it's handling of messages. am i just spoiled having had a treo?
    with sms', the threads are completely whacked with regard to how they display.
    and emails are about as cluttered as filene's basement on presidents day!
    am i missing something here??
    help!

coldchill no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DB3E7C

Re: sms, email, messages in general

now thats something weird. really just give it time.. coming from Treo it might not be easy looking at BB, but you surely made the right decision.
    -Nick

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Would like to help, but you need to be more descriptive. "whacked" and "cluttered" does not really explain how it is displaying on your screen.

If the email contains HTML, the pearl can not display it. I believe the treo can so in comparisson it might make it seem "cluttered" with all that code in the email. Regular emails not containing HTML display left to right in the similar default way Microsoft Word sets up documents.

As for SMS it displays in a messenger mobile type fashion. top line contains sender, followed by date/time, followed by message. there is then a space followed by the previous message. you can change if it displays previous messages and by how many. I have mine set to 7 (makes it easier to remember what the convo was about).

My guess is your bb is functioning normally and you will just need to adjust to the less graphic-based messaging system. Also, try taking some screen shots if you aren't quite sure how to describe how it is displaying.

**Taking screenshots of your actual Blackberry**

the link will take you over to blackberrycool and lead you through the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja
    Would like to help, but you need to be more descriptive. "whacked" and "cluttered" does not really explain how it is displaying on your screen.
    ~ sorry for not using the technical terms...mr. ninja

as far as sms', the treo was a lot more intuitive. it displayed the threads just like a chat session. the pearl gets the timeline all wrong if you're having any sort of extensive conversation through sms. that gets confusing as tits on a billygoat.

with emails, i know the diff between an html and a plain txt email. this isn't my point. there just doesn't seem to be any sort of organization to them (ie. folders).

PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by tdblanchard
    there just doesn't seem to be any sort of organization to them (ie. folders).
    everything is kept together via 'Messages' including missed called, sent/recieved calls, emails, text messages, pin messages, voicemails, etc. There are filters set up to easier nagivate it. Each email address you have attached has an icon to only view email from that particular address.

Within the 'messages' folder you can click the berry button and select 'View Folder'. It then breaks it down into Browser Messages, Missed Calls, MMS Inbox/Outbox, Phone call logs, SMS Inbox/Outbox, SMS Sim Card Inbox, WAP Push Messages.

Also from the 'messages' folder click the berry button and go to 'Options', 'General Options'. It will let you better customize how your mail/messages are displayed and let you choose what you want shown/hidden.

Between those options, call folders and email folders, it should help provide you with some organization.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Bb does take some getting use to. But you will

kayman no está en línea Stack level 2

they are also shortcut keys when in the messeges view such as ALT + S to show sms's only and ALT + M to show MMS messages only etc etc ... more shortcuts can be found here : http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rl_8100_a.html

I also found it easier to go to message options and turned of showing sent messages otherwise it gets cluttered.

i guess i just have to get used to it. the short cuts help a little. but the fact that you can't group all messages from a single sender really blows. if you're having a txt conversation with someone, it fills up the screen real quick and you scroll scroll scroll...
    the treo is MUCH cooler in this scenario.
    maybe once a few more "hip" folks get the pearl, they'll start paying more attention to the asthetics of the UI.

PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by tdblanchard
    i guess i just have to get used to it. the short cuts help a little. but the fact that you can't group all messages from a single sender really blows.
    highlight the message, click menu, 'search sender'.

all messages from a single sender.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Question Re: sms, email, messages in general

Hi,

Brand new to Blackberry and just received my pearl today. Looks like there is a ton of collective experience here. Sorry if this is a pretty basic question but I'm going to take what my preschool teacher told me to heart here. "The only stupid question is one that isn't asked" Anyway I was wondering if there is a way to default to removing the history in SMS messages. I know when I'm replying to a SMS that I can push the "berry button" and select "remove history" but I was wondering if there was a way to just make that the default. Call me lazy but I like to take as few steps as possible when sending texts Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

kayman no está en línea Stack level 2

Avante.... i know under Options > SMS there is a option to say Number of previous items, that could be it not to sure.

tdblanchard... if you open up a sms from someone it should show the history of the conversation below it, so you can scroll down and see the whole convo.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

[quote=kayman]Avante.... i know under Options > SMS there is a option to say Number of previous items, that could be it not to sure.

Kayman
    Thanks a bunch. That was it exactly! No more having to manually do it each message!!! Hooray!