I am completely new to the whole blackberry thing. I just got my phone this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

kutekristi no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Sms and mms "self deleting" issues?

Advertisement

I am completely new to the whole blackberry thing. I just got my phone this last week... I got the blackberry 8130 through verizon. (pink)
    I havefound the themes to be awesome and one of the few reasons thus far I am trying to truly like my new phone. Being a moto q owner before I am having a difficult time with this transition!
    I am going to keep trudging forward though!!!
    My issue seems to be with OTA downloads with themes... is it common for the sms and mms messages to all delete when you install a new theme? It seems to only do it with some themes.. and mainly ones I do OTA... All my text messages mysteriously disappear! It is driving me nuts! I did the updates on the verizon website that were put out a few days ago... and it seemed to be working until today when I put a theme on my phone.
    If I need to provide more information please tell me what is needed but if someone can help me here that would be just wonderful lol
    Kristi~

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Sms and mms "self deleting" issues?

It sounds like you have very low free memory. Go to Options>Status and see what your File Free amount is. Mine starts having trouble once it gets below 8,000,000. The thread below will give you some tips on freeing some up. If this doesn't help, let us know and we'll try something else.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...call_logs.html
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Thanks much! I have checked out that string and have done most of that though I am waiting on a microsd in the mail right no. I am not storing too much yet on the phone for that reason. I did remove the last theme I installed on my phone and the problem has yet again stopped. I am not sure but I think it is theme related. It only happens when I do OTA downloads of themes...

What is your current amount of free memory? Also do you restart your BB after you download new themes ota?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Being a complete and utter novice at what is a blackberry I am going to wing this part lol
    I assume for free memory I goto status?
    file free says 8236369 bytes?
    And no I didn't restart my phone after I downloaded.. though it did restart automatically after I uninstalled the themes via desktop manager
    Thanks!

That is rather low. Also each time you download themes ota you should restart your BB.
    I download themes ota frequently and never have this issue.
    How many extra themes do you have on there.....some of them take up a lot of memory.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

greystealth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319DD34b

Use the search feature in the forum. There are many threads regarding memory and the 8130. The recent software update has also helped with this issue. Check your version and make sure it is current, if not update it via desktop manager.

I updated all the software just two days ago. I had read on one of the threads to do this in the forum somewhere. I have to admit I was hesitant to post a question in the forum because there are SO many threads and I know people hate when newbies ask questions that are already previously asked... next time I will just hold off on posting a question so as not to be a bother.
    thanks so much for y'alls help.. I will quietly watch and read :-)
    -------
    azstar.. you are a doll.. thanks for answering and attempting to help!! I so greatly appreciate it!
    Last edited by kutekristi; 03-07-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Automerged.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by greystealth View Post
    Use the search feature in the forum. There are many threads regarding memory and the 8130. The recent software update has also helped with this issue. Check your version and make sure it is current, if not update it via desktop manager.
    It is ok for new users to post questions that may have been asked before. It serves as a reminder to others who are having the same issue. But thanks for suggesting the search.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by kutekristi View Post
    I updated all the software just two days ago. I had read on one of the threads to do this in the forum somewhere. I have to admit I was hesitant to post a question in the forum because there are SO many threads and I know people hate when newbies ask questions that are already previously asked... next time I will just hold off on posting a question so as not to be a bother.
    thanks so much for y'alls help.. I will quietly watch and read :-)
    -------
    azstar.. you are a doll.. thanks for answering and attempting to help!! I so greatly appreciate it!
    It is ok for you to ask questions that have been posted previously. That's why we're here.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925

The battery-pull works wonders. Good suggestions azstar!

AaronK717 no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Re: Sms and mms "self deleting" issues?

Just an FYI to anyone reading...
    I work for verizon as tech support rep. The memory issue isnt really an issue at all. It is something the pearl is designed to do when it is running short on memory. Blackberry has known abt it for a while and it was rumored that they might be launching a software update for it a while back, however they backtracked and just chalked it up to "thats the way its suppossed to operate" and they currently have no plans to fix it. If you contact us at vzw we will tell this as will blackberry. I recommend clearing your txt msgs anyway everynight and/or proactively saving any msgs that mean something to you.

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    ok, here is a post that I have used a bit. It may seem a bit confuding but read through it and try it is you like. This is a decent way to free up some memory.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ory_pearl.html

As far as battery pulls, it can be pita if you have any sort of case or cover. I use the DL "soft reset" to accomplish the same thing.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...oft_reset.html

also check out this thread. A lot of reading but you will see that it has some good info.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...l_logs-15.html
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict