Yeah, I got a few questions hehe. So I just checked my activity on the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4

SMS & MMS Question

Advertisement

Yeah, I got a few questions hehe. So I just checked my activity on the tmobile site and there is 1 text msg used out of my 300 free txt messages. I started to wonder when did I use a message. Said it was from number 501, I checked my messages and there it was. When I went to the tmobile website, I had chose to have the password sent to my BB. I guess that counted as a txt message. So, my question is. Anyway to disable SMS and/or MMS on the Pearl? Any issues if I do?

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

Re: SMS & MMS Question

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Sorry, I don't know of any way to disable SMS or MMS(I don't think it's possible), but I do have a little tip for keeping track of sent and received messages without a PC or signing into the MyT-Mobile site(which you can't do with the BlackBerry browser). With TMO, you can dial #674# and it will display the amount used, amount remaining and billing cycle end date. This is a free service that doesn't use any minutes or messages against your plan. Maybe someone who knows more than me will post with a way to disable messaging. Good luck.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    #msg#, gotta love it!

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

So, you want to turn off SMS / MMS?

You can try this: Home Screen --> Options --> Security Options --> Firewall. Enable the firewall, then check off SMS and / or MMS.

Now, this will prevent the messages from being delivered to your BlackBerry, but that doesn't mean your carrier won't charge you for the messages.

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4

I think I passed by that firewall option. Ah so the carrier would still charge you? Hmm, that kinda defeats the purpose.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Rogers doesn't charge for received messages, only sent. They specifically state that for international SMS, the 'send charhe' is applied regardless of delivery to the end mobile. Basically: our system will send the SMS, but we cannot guarantee it will be delivered.

Now, it sounds like your carrier is charging for SMS you receive? In that case, it's likely just a counter of SMS which pass through their server which increments the SMS-o-meter. Just because your Pearl is refusing the messages by firewall setting does not mean that you are not being charged.

MMS may work differently, because it uses GPRS/EDGE and has delivery confirmation embedded within its protocol.

toddpyoung no está en línea Stack level 1
    Whenever I try to send an SMS to multiple people, rather than listing each person I've selected, my Pearl just repeats the first person's name for everyone I'm sending the SMS to. The messages do get delivered to everyone but it's hard to keep track of who I've already picked. Is anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it? I have TMobile

Langen no está en línea Stack level 2
    Call your provider and ask them to put a block on your SMS service. Depending on the provider this might be an option.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    i dont have SMS on my phone, but for my MMS i have the option to turn reception and retrieval off. go to options>sms and see if that option is in there for SMS