Just got a new Blackberry 8100 Pearl after my razr hinge broke off, so this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rj101 no está en línea Stack level 1

Slow & no voice dial after loading app - Normal?

Advertisement

Just got a new Blackberry 8100 Pearl after my razr hinge broke off, so this is my first BB. Slick little phone, but a computer database application we use loads a separate application on the phone to "sync" with for contacts and appointments - it does not sync with the "built-in" calendar or contact list (bummer). My real concern is that if the app is on the phone, (not open and even completely empty of data) every function on the phone is sloooooow. A little hourglass pops up every few seconds, and the voice dialing will not work - just sticks on "initializing - please wait" with no voice prompt or action. Removing the app restores the zip and voicedial.

You Blackberry users - is this normal behavior with an application supposedly written specifically for version 4 of the desktop/OS, or has this phone got other problems? Thanks.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    First thing to try, pull the battery, wait 30 seconds and then reinsert.
    If that doesn't work try holding the alt key (far left lower corner) and click the back up key,which is just to the right of the trackball. Keep holding the alt key and use the trackball to scroll through your list of open applications. Your phone, message and address book will always be there, but if there are a lot of apps running, this will really slow things down. Be sure to exit apps from the menu or the back up key in order to exit properly not just holding down the red end call button. Not saying you do this, but its easy to do.
    Hope this helps!

Toddboy - thanks. Don't assume I know anything about BB because I don't. I had already tried removing the battery, but didn't think about the "multi-tasking" phone. When I look, I have the standard programs running, plus the new app's "Core Library" (this has different modules that hold/sync different information from the computer program). When I try to switch to the Core Library to close, nothing happens - the phone just freezes with a blank screen. After a while, I can switch to another app, but the Core Library always is open. Is that normal for a program? It seems to be cause of the problems I'm having. Would wiping the phone help (hard reset)? Or am I just stuck not using the program and taking back the phone?

Thanks again.

PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Well I'm thinking that wiping might be your best option. I'm not a fan of suggesting this, but not sure what else to suggest. What Operating system do you have on there? You can find this by going to options, then selecting about. If its 4.2.0.42, I'd suggest upgrading to 4.2.0.64. When I upgraded to that OS nearly all of my sluggish behavior disappeared.

Its the latest Cingular - 4.2.0.69. I assume - Options-Security Options - General Settings - MENU - Wipe Handheld is what you mean. Now, can you tell me what will happen when I wipe?

PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    If you have the latest, I truly suggest taking your Pearl back to Cingular for a replacement. If that doesn't work, I think you're pretty much screwed. It sounds like the app you are trying to run might not play well with this OS.

You don't think a wipe would do any good?
    I am beginning to believe that the program (for BB) is one that can receive info automatically from a BB server OTA - so could the problem be it ties up the entire phone seeking new pushed information?

Toddboy - I appreciate your help for a newbie - thanks.

PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    I'm confident in your assesment of your application. That's likely the case.is there a setting where you can limit the constant "polling" for information?
    I'm not saying the wipe won't help. Its possible it will. I just always hate suggesting that unless in desperate situations. Especially when you don't have enormous experience with blackberry. Plus I'm mobile right now, and can't get you the thread from here that gives you step by step instructions on doing this. If it were me, I'd do a javaloader wipe, which completely removes your OS, and then totally reload your OS from Cingular. But if you're not completely confident in doing this, wait for another Pro who might be also able to help you out who might be here. Sorry I can't help more while I'm driving

You kidding? "Sorry" for taking the time to help while driving and not _also_ being able to direct me to a thread? Maybe I need to keep this BB if only to teach me to multitask like that.

Seriously, in preparing to take the phone back to Cingular, I loaded the bad app - after moving the SIM card to another phone for use. Without service and with the bad program, the phone runs great - voice dial works, etc. But when I put the SIM back in and got service, same old problems. Is there any way to tell BB not to allow the program to "poll"?

PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Well here's something else. Maybe you have a bad SIM card. Cingular can replace for free. I was having coverage issues and a new sim helped a lot another possible solution!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Sounds like this app you have loaded Core Library is not really suited for the BB. It really sounds like it is only partially completing it's update of data and is continually trying to sync. Is this a manditory application for your phone? If not, I would try deleting it, either using Desktop Manager or from the Options/Advanced Options/Applications.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Yes, unfortunately it is really the only reason I got the BB; the Windows Mobile version of the program is _real_ slow in sync'ing, I just don't like the size of the Palm based phones. This is the BB sync created by the company, but I think it is really geared towards use of one of their Enterprise versions working through a BB server. So, if I can't get it to play nice on the phone, it will have to go back and I will go back to carrying a separate Palm when needed. Thanks for the suggeston.

FYI update - tech support for the computer/BB app has now determined that there is an "issue" with the sync app that loads, but only on the new 8100's. Hopefully, they will come up with a solution before my return time runs out. Thanks again Toddboy and Rcbjr.

PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    No problem! Hope you get to keep your Pearl, I love mine!