I just picked up my Blackberry Pearl yesterday - it's the first type of smart ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

IOAFreak13 no está en línea Stack level 1

Simple Questions for a First-time BB User

Advertisement

I just picked up my Blackberry Pearl yesterday - it's the first type of smart phone I have ever used, and let me just say I am extremely impressed.

It's good I found this community because I have a bunch of "noob" questions that I need answering.

1) I have the Desktop Manager tool, I would like to edit my address book on my PC - what (free, if any) programs exist that I can sync my Pearl up to to be able to do this?

2) I have had ease installing applications, but I'm having trouble deleting them - I see the delete button on the application loader, but it is not clickable no matter what program I select.

3) Another sync question, as far as the calendar - what (once again, free) programs exist to create calendar items and upload them to the Pearl?

I am using a PC - I'd much rather use my Mac but PocketMac is not working for me with my Pearl - it gives me a "Skipping" error whenever I try to sync. If anyone has Mac help, let me know as well.

Thanks in advance, and it's good to find a community like this!

steedtek no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

Re: Simple Questions for a First-time BB User

1) You can find a list of "Syncable" applications in your Desktop Manager, click on "Synchronize" and goto "Configure Sync" and you can choose what program you sync what attribute with, and see which ones are free, if any.(doubt any are free to be honest)

2) You need to "Uncheck" the item for it to be removed.
    I've found the Delete button is only clickable when i uninstall something while on my Device, and later goto my application loader and it's unchecked, and i can then delete it.

3) Same as #1, just look through the suppported applications and hope one is free.

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if you have Microsoft outlook, your BB pearl can sync your contacts AND calendar. Also if you can't delete your programs on your handheld you can do it using desktop manager. Just uncheck the program when you use the app launcher.
    I hope that helps.

PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

The thing is he was looking for "free software" to do this, which is when i assumed he didnt want to buy MS Office.

Outlook Express DOES NOT work with Desktop Manager, only Outlook that comes with MS Office.

IOAFreak13 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks guys. It seems like this phone would be amazing in conjunction with iCal and Mac's address book. I think I'll try and struggle with PocketMac rather than buy additional software for the PC.

Unfortunately getting it to actually work on a Mac is rocket science...

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

My Outlook Express imediately synced up with my BB (I do not have Office installed). I don't think it will do calendar but it will do contacts. So I'd try it to be sure.

Bill

PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

didnt work for me =\
    i hate outlook in ms office, but i installed it just for it to work.
    then again maybe i didnt something wrong, but i coulda sworn it wouldnt work.

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

I should note that I might not have actually used DM to sync with Outlook Express. I've played around with both the MS Bluetooth (BT) Stack and the WIDCOMM BT Stack. Currently I have the WIDCOMM one installed and I just tested a BT sync with Outlook Express and it worked fine.

So I would assume that it would also work for a USB cable connection (although you know what "they" say about assuming). I might have also tested it with DM using a BT connection back when I had MS BT Stack running but I cannot recall for certain.

I have a 64 bit operating system so am forced to use BT to connect to my system.

Bill