first, hi pinstack! i caught this forum and i've been abusing it for a few ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Rajinn no está en línea Stack level 2

signal strength

Advertisement

first, hi pinstack!
    i caught this forum and i've been abusing it for a few days now, just bought a new pearl.
    my only thing is i do not have signal at my house, i have 1 bar randomly but it is never enough to call out, i have found though that when leaving my service enabled, and hooking the blackberry up to the wall adapter (not pc usb) and putting it close to my speakers i will get enough signal (1 bar) to call out and its actually very clear.

the thing is - it only works when hooked up, and only when its next to one of my computer speakers, it also makes my speakers make a lot of noise (static/popping)
    if its running on battery i lose signal instantly.

i already have foil behind the battery (that actually helped more than i thought it would) but i just need a HAIR more strength.

any ideas would be completely appreciated! free is best but im willing to spend a bit to have service at my house (my home phone SUCKS!)

(i searched and found the foil and tried it but cant find any other tips)
    thanks!

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Re: signal strength

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    Who is your service provider?

at&t
    i have service all the way up to my driveway.
    ps: i've never seen a phone with service at my house so this was a massive surprise.

Ju1c3 no está en línea Stack level 2

id have got a curve with the wifi. i have the same problem crappy reception at my house, but i have wireless internet and it give me perfect reception going through the internet instead. sure the curve is 100 more, but well worth it. just my 2 cents.

as for better reception with the pearl, ive seen tings that help, but they all cost like 200 bucks. stickers and junk just doesnt work
    INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE

well i'd get a curve but i just dont like them. i wasnt going to originally get a pearl but i managed to get it free and i cant pull the same deal with a curve. equally i do not have wifi (i've never been a fan of packetloss as im a big gamer)
    yeah i've seen the 3 watt repeaters but i dont know if they will do what i need, 200$ is nothing if i can ditch my home phone

j33t3rz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24b45e8f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i had bad reception at my house until i tried this
    go into options/security options/WTLS & turn encryption strength to strong only

thanks for the reply
    i tried it but it didnt seem to have any effect.
    anyone else have an idea? i have signal literally 15 ft away.

stranjal7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    #ASK#
    Quote Originally Posted by j33t3rz View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i had bad reception at my house until i tried this
    go into options/security options/WTLS & turn encryption strength to strong only
    What does the WTLS encryption strength do?

bump
    any input ?

geekmaster1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f184be

Any software to boost signal strength?

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

signal repeater?

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

what kind of house are you living in...is it concrete? if so the rebar inside creates a faraday cage inside your house thus no giving you any reception...also...do you live on top of a hill or in the hills...where i used to live before i moved to LB we were up in the hills above the town and we got crap reception in our house but once we got down the hill to the main street about 100 yards away perfect reception...sorry for your situation...hope you figure something out
    -------
    you can also call your provider and see if they're planning on putting up more towers in your area of anything like that...they may have info on your problem or at the least they would be aware of it and maybe fix it
    Last edited by magellan0547; 11-06-2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged.

does anyone know a repeater that works well and with a pearl?
    i live in a house made from wood and sheetrock in the middle of a set of mountains, not much hope for signal.
    the thing is, i just need a HAIR more strength to get service consistently.
    i have service here randomly as stated before, but its too inconsistent.
    anything that is confirmed to boost signal is what im after.

i'm still trying to find something.

edit:
    provider says "we do not offer service in your area" my area being a 100ft radius. i had to use a different address to sign up in the first place. the bad thing is i have service in my driveway but i lose service on my sidewalk! have you ever driven out of reception, backtracked to find the line where your service ends, then fought to make your phone hold the service just a hair longer so you can make that 1 call? thats my house.
    Last edited by Rajinn; 11-07-2007 at 10:30 AM.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Well seems like tricking your provider in the first place was your problem. They said they don't cover your area. Its so close I'd think a repeater would be your best bet. But you can't be upset (you didn't say so), they said it wouldn't work.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    Well seems like tricking your provider in the first place was your problem. They said they don't cover your area. Its so close I'd think a repeater would be your best bet. But you can't be upset (you didn't say so), they said it wouldn't work.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    well, NO provider (you can list every one in existence) covers me. according to verizon / suddenlink i dont even have DSL or cable modem so if i dont give them a diff address then i dont get a phone whatsoever. (i have cable modem... suddenlink is crazy!) hell even direcTV says im in a no access zone... thats just plain sad

im not upset that it doesnt work at home, but its so absurdly close i was hoping there was a way to boost it to where it would work.

edit
    i have service 2 minutes down the road in any direction... thats how sad my location is. dont get me wrong, i didnt expect service at my house when i bought the phone, it actually shocked me that it was so close. so a repeater, i have at&t so a gsm repeater (isnt that 850?) any recommendations on which one to get?
    Last edited by Rajinn; 11-07-2007 at 08:57 PM.