Blackberrys are great, however, with the Pin identifiers they make it difficult when upgrading devices! ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

syclone1978 no está en línea Stack level 2

Should only pay once for apps? NOT what eMobistudio.com believes!

Advertisement

Blackberrys are great, however, with the Pin identifiers they make it difficult when upgrading devices!

I paid for the registration code of the application when I got my first Pearl 8100, then upgraded to the Pearl 8110 with GPS when it came out. Now I upgraded to the Bold.

Vendors like eMobistudio.com, makers of MemoryUp for Blackberry, do not believe that it is there problem if you get another BB. They want more money for the same application to re-register it.

Yes the site, (now updated to read this) allows 2 re-registrations for 1 year, but when I purchased it before it never stated that. Plus third party application sites like Handango.com do not state that information.

I contacted both Handango and eMobistudio support for a new registration for my Bold and Handango says to contact the vendor, eMobistudio says that I have to buy it again at a 20% discount.

Am I the only one who has any problems when upgrading devices and not being able to keep the applications you paid for the registration codes on your old device?

Any input would be great. As I am now looking for another memory application from another vendor who respects me as a customer.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    IMO for as many vendors as there are that make you buy an new license (for each new phone) there are probably 5 that don't. I've changed a lot of phones and I only had to buy one license and THAT was my fault. I couldn't find my purchase confirmation. (Naturally I found it AFTER buying a new copy.)
    Last edited by jblackfish; 12-08-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: left out a few key words in haste - fixed to make more sense
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

pshift no está en línea Stack level 3
    Pay once, except for probably major upgrades. That is my philosophy. Find another vendor whose pricing suits YOUR needs, not theirs. It's a new economy out there and those vendors who do not respect the consumer, will be doomed to fail.

There are plenty of horror stories and examples on the net about this.

Quote Originally Posted by pshift View Post
    Pay once, except for probably major upgrades. That is my philosophy. Find another vendor whose pricing suits YOUR needs, not theirs. It's a new economy out there and those vendors who do not respect the consumer, will be doomed to fail.

There are plenty of horror stories and examples on the net about this.
    I don't really have a problem with companies charging for upgrades - after all, they have to make money to survive and initial sales isn't necessarily the ONLY way. Look at all the computer software companies - they nearly all charge for upgrades.

Fortunately, this is something that's NOT a complex problem: the question to ask yourself is 'are you getting a good value for what you have to pay?' If the answer is yes, go with it. If not, move on to something that's worth it to you.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

syclone1978 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Jblackfish,

In a way after reading your comment I agree, if it is an excellent application I can not live without.

But then I also say to myself, you purchase an application for general purposes, its not a must have but still you purchased it. Then you lose your blackberry, its stolen, your kid drops it in the toilet or whatever the scenerio. You get another BB either with insurance or from pocket, but it comes with a new PIN identifier, now your saying your comfortable paying for the same application(s) again just to get them registered to the new BB.

Well, you must have a really great career and do very well for yourself (disrespect not intended).

I believe that RIM should look at what they are doing with their sales focus of the Blackberrys now, they are reaching customers other than Business men and women. Therefore should manufacture personal user BB's for the individual consumer who has no need for the PIN protections. This is all just my opinion and as usual, many will disagree. But in business, enough people agreeing is enough demand to aid the supply of the consumers wishes to fit their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by syclone1978 View Post
    ...................But then I also say to myself, you purchase an application for general purposes, its not a must have but still you purchased it. Then you lose your blackberry, its stolen, your kid drops it in the toilet or whatever the scenerio. You get another BB either with insurance or from pocket, but it comes with a new PIN identifier, now your saying your comfortable paying for the same application(s) again just to get them registered to the new BB.

Well, you must have a really great career and do very well for yourself (disrespect not intended).
    Syclone, I have found that if I can produce the receipt for my original purchase, NOT a copy of the software, that most software sellers will transfer the license. Whether I still have the previous device doesn't seem to matter. If you lost your BB you should be able to do that too, if you can keep up with the receipt. It's usually an email.

BTW, I did have a great career but, that aside, how well do you have to do to afford a $5-20 license. For more expensive software I'd simply find our their policy BEFORE making a purchase because I WOULD NOT buy it twice...and, remember, some of this applies to upgrades which should be less than the cost of the original license.

In the example I mentioned above, I had stored the receipt on my P-C but not in my "normal" place and didn't find it until after I re-purchased the license.

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    some developers, such as beejive, will actually offer user licenses (transferable between devices) and device licenses (which are associated to one device only). however, this is not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by anfrey View Post
    some developers, such as beejive, will actually offer user licenses (transferable between devices) and device licenses (which are associated to one device only). however, this is not the norm.
    Thanks for pointing that out, anfrey. I had forgotten that and, when I bought my Jivetalk license I went ahead and paid for the user version. After all, most people don't keep any device for that long with all the technology changes and (hopefully) improvements. I'm on my 5th BB since getting my 1st the summer of '06...all mostly by choice, sort of.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via 8120 (wap.pinstack.com)~

I wish the vendors I bought my apps from, for my 8120, would allow me to get codes for my 8100.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    That's why I usually dont pay for applications. If it's not free or under $5 I have a hard time paying for it.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    That's why I usually dont pay for applications. If it's not free or under $5 I have a hard time paying for it.
    I totally agree with you. I usually buy applications only if I think they are worth it. I definitely would buy an application if the user license could be transferred from one bb to another. (To date, I only know of one application and that is BeeJive.)
    Last edited by jblackfish; 12-08-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: font color