Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i'm with tmobile and the browser that comes with my pearl (8100) seems to be ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lwalk06 no está en línea Stack level 1

Should I Stay Or Go

Advertisement

i'm with tmobile and the browser that comes with my pearl (8100) seems to be pretty slooooooow. I'm thinking about downloading opra mini. what if any would be the difference? if i do switch, will i still need to pay for the data package from t-mobile?

jbean7916 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245A99C3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i happen to use both... That way I can multi-task!! Also, opera mini has some connectivity issues sometimes! In fact, I have been able to use it since all the slow browser stuff started happening! You do still need the data package though. I'd say download it and give it a try, if you don't like it you can always delete it!!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm T-Mo and I was just through Atlanta - I thought the coverage there was pretty good even though I wasn't there long - you have EDGE, right? I'm in Arkansas with all-the-time GPRS (no EDGE except when roaming) and I'm REALLY slow here.

've tried Opera several times. I love the browser for some things but I've had to get rid of it every time simply because of speed issues. I can't use it and it just takes up memory. It's a good browser though with some real nice features.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

lwalk06 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks jbean,thanks blackfish...that pretty much answers my question. yea I do have EDGE and atl coverage is fantastic! And tmobile is the bomb. I'll just stay with my existing browser at least til my next upgrade. Peace
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yep you still need the data package. I used opera mini for a short while and reverted back to the regular browser. I didn't have any issues just didn't care for it. As for the speed issue, I'm always on EDGE so I can't really say whether OM would be faster or not.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

xomargiemariexo no está en línea Stack level 1
    What is EDGE anyways? My phone said it in lowercase letters and then when I got the data packedge it went to upper case!

I believe that the lower case means that you have a connection but do not have a data plan. The GPRS indicates a degraded coverage - that is less efficient than EDGE. One of the experts can correct me if I'm wrong.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jbean7916 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245A99C3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ha I'm no expert but that sounds about right to me!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I have GPRS here. Carrier does not support EDGE. GPRS is ok from browsing WAP site. When viewing HTML I try to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot.I'm using GPRS service to post this

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    I have GPRS here. Carrier does not support EDGE. GPRS is ok from browsing WAP site. When viewing HTML I try to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot.I'm using GPRS service to post this
    Well, your GPRS is better than mine! I tried for 10 minutes(2x) just to get the page up on my BB and it NEVER came up - all I got was a constant "requesting" so I came back to my p-c to reply. GPRS here in AR is practically unusable. I can never depend on being able to get even the simplest page up. On some rare occasions I can function slowly but, like now, I couldn't have responded to this post if someone held a gun to my head - it's really maddening.

UPdate: I finally got "unable to connect to internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider." The kicker in all this is that I have a full 5-bar(it looks like 5) connection. It just won't load a page.

UPdate 2: Then...the thing started working (reason unknown) and I was able to do a few communications in the stack via BB - ? Intermittent to say the least.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 03-24-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4
    Wireless data Evolution:
    General Packet Radio System (GPRS) 114Kbps
    Enhanced Data GSM Environment (EDGE) 384Kbps
    Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service (UMTS). 2Mbps (also called 3G)

Aprox 2-3years in between them? So soon UMTS will be replaced

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Yeah really, pretty soon we'll be browsing the stacks with 3 Megabyte per second data speeds!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I'd switch to ANY carrier for that kind of speed...I might even give up my BB - (I didn't mean it! I'm sorry!) :-)

tyayo14020 no está en línea Stack level 2
    so, let me understand this right, you can connect your black berry to a wifi hot spot aka your houses wireless router?

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Hey, count your blessings. Some Berries only get GPRS... and they can still browse the Net!

I set it not to load images, so I can see a page in decent time. I can then load some or all images if I elect to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast