I need some opinions. I currently use an 8830 WE on Verizon. I cant stand ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3

Should I make the change?

Advertisement

I need some opinions. I currently use an 8830 WE on Verizon. I cant stand the "tunnel effect" and people not being able to hear me clearly. Since Verizon doesn't offer the curve I am limited and thinking of switching to the 8130. Can anyone help me with some opinions if they made the switch, or pros and cons that you know of? I know the keyboards are different but is it that much of a difference when you get use to it? (I have been using qwerty boards for a very long time)
    Thanks in advance.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    You might not like the suretype on the pearl... I had a 7130 before my 8830, and suretype really isn't that bad...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I've had the Pearl (SureType) and the Curve (QWERTY) and I think you'd be happy with the Pearl. My biggest problem with the Pearl was also it's biggest advantage -- size. While it was a great size for carrying, I really do appreciate the larger screen of the Curve.

Also, with my larger hands, the smaller Pearl could feel cramped. Overall though, SureType does work pretty good. I was impressed.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

ewvarn no está en línea Stack level 2
    It boils down to personal preference. I have a Curve and my wife has the Pearl. I love my full qwerty and she doesn't mind the suretype (once she got used to it). I would imagine that you'll be able to "test drive" the new phone for at least a week, so I would say test it out with a lot of emailing/texting during that period to see how you like it and if you get used to it or not. That way, you still leave yourself with options and aren't stuck making a blind decision. At the very least, try one out in the store by sending yourself a couple emails/texts to at least get initial impressions.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    hold out for the 9000! touchscreen slider with trackball & full qwerty.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    I loved my Pearl. I love my Curve. Never liked the 8800. Since the Curve isn't available on VZW yet, you would enjoy the Pearl. Expect SureType to take 2-3 days to get used to. Once you make the adjustment, you'll really like it.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    are you serious the 9000 is gunna have all that? thats way to much stuff to go wrong for an always reliable phone. any moving parts always have some kind of negative. and i was almost certain that slider phones were on their way out.

size vs. Ease of typing.... you decide whats more important to you

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    As a tech talking calls, 95% of the people I talk to have hated going from a full keyboard to the Pearl. I used my Pearl on Multy tap, but then I was using a 7100 before that and a Razor before that. I am now on the Curve and I still catch my self double tapping sometimes LOL. like ewvarn said, test drive if you can is the only real way to tell.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    that's what i read last week on BGR. i'm willing to give it a shot tho. the pearl was the first of it's kind and they eventually worked alot of the bugs out. there will be probs no matter what and with TMO all you do is complain something isn't working and they'll mail you a new phone for $15.

jay_man33 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301DFD64
    The only downfall with my 8130 is the screen size. I like that it comfortably fits in my pocket and I don't need a case w/ clip to carry it around. Also, the suretype works pretty sweet and you can always program your own words/dictionary.

GREAT PHONE!
    Best of Luck!

JM
    301DFD64

JNHohol no está en línea Stack level 1
    I love my 8130 pearl. The size is great (the reason I bought a pearl), I like having an actual keyboard & suretype works well, and all of the features are really nice (GPS, 3.5mm jack, external SD Card, etc.). It is a very small and powerful package.

I have also been downloading a lot of shows off of videos4blackberry, which has made me use it even more.

I haven't had any complaints about call quality, either on my end or the opposite.

It seems to run a lot more smoothly than my 8100 pearl. My T-Mobile pearl would really slow down and the internet would freeze. It was very frustrating, but I have had no issues with the 8130, but I am also on Sprint now.

The only real problem I have heard is the battery life. I use my pearl as a tethered modem at work and I plug it in at night, so battery life isn't a big issue for me. Without charging and high usage, it could have trouble making it through the day. I'm looking into the Seidio extended life battery.

Bottom line is that the 8130 is an excellent phone.