I'm currently subscribed with Tmobile and it's been about 2 months since I signed up. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

fashionrider57 no está en línea Stack level 2

Should I cancel internet/data plan?

Advertisement

I'm currently subscribed with Tmobile and it's been about 2 months since I signed up. I also signed up for that unlimited data plan and unlimited text messaging. Only reason why I signed up for the data plan is because the tmobile rep guy told me I needed it to receive "necessary" updates or else my phone will probably break fast. I asked him if I could do it through the computer and he said no.

I updated my phone to 107 through the computer. I basically don't ever use any instant messaging or browser. Only thing I use is text messaging and I'll be downgrading my unlimited texting to maybe 400/month since I doubt I even use that many in a month.

My question is: is there any reason why I shouldn't discontinue my unlimited data plan?

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

Re: Should I cancel internet/data plan?

For one there are many features your phone comes with that uses data.........just to list a few google maps, 411 info, OTA downloads and more! But best of all Pinstack launcher.....got to have it on the go!

Its all up to you................... !

Welcome to pinstack!

wh1te no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204CC96A

Other than the offchance you may use it someday. I can't see any reason you keeping it is benificial. On the other hand I couldnt live without it!!!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

So you basically only use your 8100 Pearl as a phone? The data pretty much makes up what a BB is most useful for but for some people maybe all of the full features BB's offer aren't what they need. If you don't use it then why pay for it.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

i was planning on using the browser and stuff, but I don't like how the phone displays pages, and the speed is much slower than i hoped.

I can guarantee you that most of the users that chose the pearl as their first Blackberry basically got it because it looks good and is cool. If people wanted the features, they'd get the curve, or other blackberrys... but when the pearl came out, amount of blackberry users just jumped big time. I actually know lots of people that I meet in school and stuff, and they don't even know how to hook up their e-mail.

I say about 90% of all strangers I meet with the pearl never upgraded the OS to a newer version. They just use it as a regular phone.

Unlike them, I know how to use my phone's features. I just choose not to.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

If you are not using the data feature get rid of it. You can always add it back on in the future if things change and you find that you need it. Yes there are programs that need the data feature as mentioned prior by Ranz. Not mentioned was BB messanger and the ability to pin2pin, but if you do not use them then there is no point. Just remember if you take the internet feature off the account make sure that you have them add the BB enabler. It is free and will give you basic data connection for those all important "updates" the rep was speaking of and the ability to send a picture message. (mms does need a data connection to work)

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

i would recommend that you keep the unlimited texting tho...if you're using any IM clients you're gonna run up a high SMS count and you don't want to pay overages on that...you could also check your bill for the past few months and average out how many texts you're actually sending and go from there to see if it's actually cheaper to lower yourself to 400...don't know about anyone else here but i send over 1,500 texts a month easily so unlimited is best

i never ever use instant messaging. I just prefer text messaging instead. Maybe I'll downgrade to 1000 text/month and see from there.

Thanks for all the info guys.

slingshotzack no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FBC82E

wow, under 400 in a month jeeze, that is like a weeks worth, do as stated above and check how much you truely send, go from there but dropping the data plan wouldnt be a bad idea for you, its not like they are going to strike you down if you decide to put it back on

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

1500 text a month 400 a week i cant use the 500 i have and i only have them because they are free

nicodimus22 no está en línea Stack level 1

I work as a sales rep for an AT&T wireless retailer, and while it is our job to convince you to get as many features as possible, it's also our commission on the line there, so some people will say anything to sell it. It IS required to get the $100 Pearl rebate in our case, but a lot of customers just cancel the service 2 months later after the rebate is in their hands.

You know yourself best. You sound like me, actually...I use probably 10 text messages a week or less, and I have internet access at home and at work so I'm never in need of a mobile device that can do internet, e-mail etc. I don't have the BB data or texting plan, and I certainly don't need it in my situation. I just happened to luck out and get this phone for free in a contest, and I'm using it as a regular cell phone with a good media player in it.

It entirely depends on your needs, and you know better than anyone whether you need data and unlimited texting or not. You can always get a small plan that gives you a little of each...I know we have media bundles that are 1MB data and 400 messages for $10 a month, or 5MB data and 1500 messages for $15 a month, other carriers probably have similar offerings.

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

as mentioned before, if you don't use data services, then by all means remove it from your account. i consider it indispensable. it is the main reason i purchased a pearl in the first place (the curve hadn't been released back then)

slingshotzack no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FBC82E

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    1500 text a month 400 a week i cant use the 500 i have and i only have them because they are free
    It initially started as a way to better myself with the keyboard and now, well it has just gotten out of hand.

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by fashionrider57 View Post
    I'm currently subscribed with Tmobile and it's been about 2 months since I signed up. I also signed up for that unlimited data plan and unlimited text messaging. Only reason why I signed up for the data plan is because the tmobile rep guy told me I needed it to receive "necessary" updates or else my phone will probably break fast. I asked him if I could do it through the computer and he said no.

I updated my phone to 107 through the computer. I basically don't ever use any instant messaging or browser. Only thing I use is text messaging and I'll be downgrading my unlimited texting to maybe 400/month since I doubt I even use that many in a month.

My question is: is there any reason why I shouldn't discontinue my unlimited data plan?
    sorry to hear about the experience you had with a less than informed tmo rep. the data plan should be all about value for the user. if your lifestyle can make use of the email, web browsing, weather and traffic, news, etc, that data plan can be a great value to you. for your particular usage, you not getting a value out of the data plan, you should probably remove that feature (and deal with a different tmo rep, next time)