Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi everyone, I'm quite new here, and still haven't got my pearl (it's on its ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Szadzik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E23EA8

Sharing an internet connection

Advertisement

Hi everyone,
    I'm quite new here, and still haven't got my pearl (it's on its way ).Some time ago I read a topic about sharing your PCs internet conection with your Pearl. What I want is to reduce the data transfer cost. My Mobile OP does not have the unlimited data price plan, and I don't want to spend too much money on data transfers. I am just getting some allowance for sending and receiving email, but nothing for surfing the net on my Pearl.
    The question is:

If I connect the Pearl to my laptop, which has an internet connection, will the Pearl be able to use the laptop's interenet connection instead of GPRS/ EDGE?
    Phone Tales:
    OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i BB Pear + Axim x51v

saku no está en línea Stack level 2
    Same here! Awaiting for replies from experts...i'm just with 1MB plan, whoelse can offer that bandwidth - Rogers.

For additional 1MB, i pay $32. wooh!

sliptech no está en línea Stack level 2
    I've been looking for a way to do this for some time now. As of now, I don't think it's possible with the current methods available. You can do it the other way around however, using your mobile internet to be used on your PC.

PIN/ID
    23E23EA8
    Quote Originally Posted by sliptech
    I've been looking for a way to do this for some time now. As of now, I don't think it's possible with the current methods available. You can do it the other way around however, using your mobile internet to be used on your PC.
    Why would I want to do this? I don't want to pay for an interent connection established via Pearl, because I've got boradband.
    What I need, is to use an internet on my Pearl and not pay any extra for it, which is not possible with my BB plan. And you tell me to do something completely reverse.
    Phone Tales:
    OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i BB Pear + Axim x51v

sliptech no está en línea Stack level 2
    Calm down. Read carefully. What i told you was that it's not possible to do what you want to do (as of now). However, the reverse is possible.

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Szadzik
    Hi everyone,
    I'm quite new here, and still haven't got my pearl (it's on its way ).Some time ago I read a topic about sharing your PCs internet conection with your Pearl. What I want is to reduce the data transfer cost. My Mobile OP does not have the unlimited data price plan, and I don't want to spend too much money on data transfers. I am just getting some allowance for sending and receiving email, but nothing for surfing the net on my Pearl.
    The question is:

If I connect the Pearl to my laptop, which has an internet connection, will the Pearl be able to use the laptop's interenet connection instead of GPRS/ EDGE?
    so your phone already has an allowance for emails, so you just want to surf the net on your pearl. You're pearl is connected to your laptop which has an internet connection.

Tell me what I'm missing here...because if you were sitting in front of your laptop which has an internet connection, why would you want to "surf the net" on your Pearl? wouldn't using the laptop 1) make the web surfing experience better and 2) reduce data costs to your Pearl since you aren't using it for websurfing? Is your laptop screen really that small that the Pearl's screen is better for surfing the net?

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I concur. Sharing the network connection of a computer is quite a strange request.

If using wifi in a Pearl, then I would understand the question.

Hey Saku! Rogers has introduced new price plans recently, some are actually quite decent (compared to what they were just a couple months ago!).

PIN me up and I'll let you know what I've found out. Because I just switched my plans today from separate voice and BlackBerry Data Plan to a combined voice & BlackBerry Data Plan.

PIN/ID
    23E23EA8
    Yeah guys, you are bashing me for wanting to surf the net on my pearl when having an internet connection on my laptop.

Now, what happens with all the OTA content? How do I download it to my pearl without having a plan for surfing the net and surfing the net without a plan is horribly expensive?
    Phone Tales:

most things you want to install on the BB can be downloaded to your laptop and installed with the desktop manager. There are very few things like the only 4 available themes that have to be done OTA.

Specificlly what programs are you talking about that you want to use on your BB while you are sitting in front of your laptop?

Most BB programs I have require a data connection, but my laptop with broadband connection have programs that can do what all my OTA programs do, and do it much better and easier.

Let's see from my list of programs comparing the BB to a laptop:

OperaMini vs. any browser on the laptop
    Gmail mobile vs. Gmail website on laptop
    Skip mobile vs. Skip website on laptop
    Google maps mobile vs. Google earth/maps on laptop
    Berry411 vs. the myriad of websites for info on laptop
    Piconews vs. the myriad of websites for news on laptop
    IM/chat programs vs. the myriad of chat sites/programs available on laptop

None of the programs on my BB rival what can be done on the laptop and if i were sitting in front of my laptop, the only time I pick up my BB is when i get an email (because it's quicker to read than to go to the email site), SMS, or phone call.

So unless you have a specific example of a program that you want to use on your BB that you cannot use on your laptop, again, my question would be why you want to "surf the net" as you stated, on your BB?

PIN/ID
    23E23EA8
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    So unless you have a specific example of a program that you want to use on your BB that you cannot use on your laptop, again, my question would be why you want to "surf the net" as you stated, on your BB?
    I'm not talkin about any specific programs but about getting content OTA. What about all the content from mobile.blackberry.com? Can I download it onto my laptop and then to my Pearl. If the answer is yes, then there is no problem with the internet connection on Pearl.
    Phone Tales:

what content are you asking about? First you mention "All OTA content ", and now you mention "all content from mobile.blackberry.com".

There is some content that can be downloaded to your laptop, and some that you can't. If you can't specify which you intend to load, then how can we know what you are trying to do?

The answer to your main question is a resounding "NO". You cannot use the internet connection from your laptop for data on your Pearl.

But if you are asking how to download a specific program or something, then maybe we can find a workaround that wouldn't require data use on your pearl. But if you cannot give us a specific problem or content you want to download, then we cannot give you a specific answer or specific advice on how to do it.

PIN/ID
    23E23EA8
    But if you are asking how to download a specific program or something, then maybe we can find a workaround that wouldn't require data use on your pearl. But if you cannot give us a specific problem or content you want to download, then we cannot give you a specific answer or specific advice on how to do it.

OK. You are right. So, even if some things are only downloadable via Pearl, I can still ask someone to download it for me and send it to my laptop so that I can install via DM? If so, there is no need for me to use internet browsing on my Pearl.
    Or, maybe there is some kind of FTP server with all the stuff for the Pearl?
    If not, maybe we should arrange something like that for people like me who can't download things via Pearl?
    Phone Tales:

As far as I know, the only time i have run across something REQUIRING OTA downloads are the themes for the 8100. I don't remember seeing anybody actually downloading the files to the laptop.

But then again, we're talking about themes here and even if it costs you a little extra to download the themes, they do not use any data during normal operation, unlike other programs, so might as well bite the bullet and download them from the Pearl one time.

Again, it all depends on what you are looking for, and if it can be done without OTA, then we will try to help.

PIN/ID
    23E23EA8
    Again, it all depends on what you are looking for, and if it can be done without OTA, then we will try to help.
    There are lots of link here in the forum to OTA programs, games and stuff. Are they also available to download to my laptop? If so, where can I download them?
    Phone Tales:

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Quote Originally Posted by Szadzik
    There are lots of link here in the forum to OTA programs, games and stuff. Are they also available to download to my laptop? If so, where can I download them?
    It depends...Some games/themes/programs are ONLY avaliable OTA and some are avaliable via downloading to your computer the ZIP file, then extracting it and running the Desktop Manager, so it's going to vary on which programs you are talking about.

If you notice, I believe on getjar.com, you can either install OTA by pointing your browser to wap.getjar.com or you can go and download the file on your computer, then transfer it over via USB cable...Berry Pix I believe is the same way also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast