I have several Pearl questions that I could not find the answers to on this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bscherokman no está en línea Stack level 2

Several Questions

Advertisement

I have several Pearl questions that I could not find the answers to on this forum. Again, I am new and forgive me:

1) what is the difference in turning off the Pearl by holding down the red end call switch, clicking the off icon in the menu and putting it in a magnetic case?

2) what is the difference between the two mail folders in the menu - messages and the other one labled with my email address?

3) can one safely delete the non-english languages under applications to save memory?

4) if I want to send a text message to an non-BB phone can I do that with BB messenger or is there another way to do it on the Pearl or do I need to download an instant messenger?

5) is there a way on the standard Cingular menu to move the memo pad icon and the tasks out or the applications folder and onto the main menu? I know how to move the icons around but can't get the memo and task icons off of the second page.

That's it - again sorry for taking up your time.

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Several Questions

1) Nothing, just two different ways to turn it off
    2) The messages folder has both email and text messages and the email has just email in it
    3) Yes Options->Advanced->Applications then delete all of the languages you don't need lol obviously don't delete English
    4) To send an sms(text) just go into the messages folder and hit menu and then hit compose sms and choose a contact to send it to and then start plugging away. If you were talking about an instant messanger program, use JiveTalk. Before you use it though make sure you have the unlimited data package, as it uses data instead of text messages.
    5) Lol The Cingular theme is like the worst theme possible to be using. If you like it it's fine. The Today theme is good for keeping things organized. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there is any way to move those things to the application folder.

Hope this helps somehow

GP

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Hi bescherokman welcome to the stacks

As far as i know,

1 red button and off icon switches pnone off completely.
    Mag case and top mute button puts phone on standby(will still recieve calls and e-mails but saves on battery)

2 Message folder will have all messages e-mails and sms etc. only Your e account mails will be in the other folder.

3 Yes its OK.

4 when you select from address book it gives you the option to call or sms/mms

5 Whatever icons you put in the top 5 places on your apps menu will appear on your main menu.

Hope this helps Gaz.

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

you beat me to it gotpearl, i need to type faster LOL

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Yeah all of the above are correct. Great info guys. Just so you do know bbmessenger and pin messaging is for communicating with other blackberry devices. And sms/mms is for communicating with everyone.
    When it comes to your email and message icons. Your message folder shows all your messages from all email accounts as well as your sms and mms. If you go to a specific email folder you can see the emails that went to that specific address and you also be able to compose or reply from that address as well. Hope that helps out. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bscherokman no está en línea Stack level 2

One last question about attachments

When you open an attachment and then close it is it saved on the Pearl. If not then how do you save it?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

i am pretty sure that the only file type that you can save on to the pearl, via the pearl, would be a media file. if you open up the image, click on it and click menu, there should be an option to save. i tried this for a ppt slide and an excel ss and the option wasn't there anymore.

you CAN use the pearl as a mass storage device, if you need to take a large file home or something? but the only way to do this is to enable mass storage and use windows explorer to drag/drop the file onto your SD CARD (like a flash memory stick, sorta kinda )

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by bscherokman
    I have several Pearl questions that I could not find the answers to on this forum. Again, I am new and forgive me:

1) what is the difference in turning off the Pearl by holding down the red end call switch, clicking the off icon in the menu and putting it in a magnetic case?
    End key turns it all off, while the magnetic case is just sleep mode and you will still receive emails, im's, calls.... and the "radio off" icon option means it disconnects from the network but is still powered so you can play games, read old messages, run a program etc (similar to flight mode on cell phones)
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.