Here's my questions, up front. My life story will follow if you need it. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Gib
    Gib no está en línea Stack level 1

Setting the "From" address and replying to another account

Advertisement

Here's my questions, up front. My life story will follow if you need it.
    I have a blackberry pearl, on BIS2.3, on vodafone uk.

How can I do one or both of the following :
    1. Get my BB account to have the "from" address of my choosing. (Before BIS2.3 I could do this). Please note I'm talking about "from", not "reply-to".
    2. Hit "reply" to a message and be able to choose which account I send the reply from. At present it uses the same account I received the message on without giving me the option to change.

If you know how to do these, please let me know. If you need more info, here it is :
    I was (and still want to) only use one email address for everything, which is my ISP's address. Before BIS2.3 came along, I had my ISP's email account (me@myisp.com) configured to bounce mail to my BB account (me@mobileemail.vodafone.net) via spamcop. That mail would end up straight away onto my blackberry. Great.
    I had configured my blackberry account so that my "from" address was me@myisp.com.
    That all worked fantastic. Using my blackberry, I got email 30 seconds after the person sent it to me, and when I replied or composed a message, it looks like it was coming from my ISP. Nobody could tell I was using a blackberry.

Now, along comes BIS2.3. Vodafone upgraded everybody to it automatically. With BIS2.3, I cannot set my "from" address on my BB account. The best I can do is to set the "reply-to" address. That's not good enough for two reasons. The first is that my girlfriend's Japanese mobile phone doesn't respect "reply-to". The second is that I don't want any trace of my BB email address being given out, because I don't want to risk spam coming to me without going through my ISP filtering and I don't want people know I'm using a blackberry.

So, using the BB web interface, I added another email account, and configured it with the details of my ISP account, but disabled the automatic retrieval of mail from it through POP. So, I'm still getting my email to my BB by bouncing it from my ISP to the BB address. This means that I still receive my messages immediately. It also means that I can send mail that looks like it's straight from my ISP by sending from that account I set up.

So I am receiving mail on one account (the BB default) and I want to send it from another (the extra one I set up with my ISP details). This works fine when I remember to set the "send using", but the big problem is that when I click "reply" on a piece of mail, I don't get that "send using" option. It just isn't there. It forces me to reply using the BB account, and I don't want that.....

So my options as I see them are :
    1. Get the BIS to let me use the "from" address again, by trying to convince vodafone to put me back a version (will they let me?), or waiting and hoping for a new BIS version that reinstates this option.
    2. Stop bouncing my mail to my BB, and just let the BB servers retrieve the mail from my ISP directly. The problem with this is that BB only checks for mail every ten minutes, which is too slow for me, and also because I'm currently bouncing through spamcop which I don't want to continue doing.
    3. Figure out how to reply to mail using a separate account than it came in on.

Any help gratefully received.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Setting the "From" address and replying to another account

I as well cannot change the from address in a reply. Have you seen BB Reply? It can allow you to set the from address... http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ads/links/5/28

Gib
    Gib no está en línea Stack level 1

I've installed bbreply, but it gives me errors when I select an address. The first error was something about not using the webclient. Now tells me that I'm trying to add to a manager while already parented... Maybe I can figure all that out.

One admission though, is that when I now send email from my bb account, it does actually have both the "from" and "reply-to" as me@myisp.com, which is what I want. My real name in the "from" looks like gobbldygook, probably unicode or something though.

I think I was wrong is saying the "from" didn't have my address. What does have the wrong address though is "Return-Path". That's got my mobileemail.vodafone.net address, which I don't want it using at all....

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I don't think you are going to be able to spoof the return-path. It's part of the email protocol handshaking header, which actually allows the BB/BIS to send the email.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

travisj2002 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    I don't think you are going to be able to spoof the return-path. It's part of the email protocol handshaking header, which actually allows the BB/BIS to send the email.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Nonsense. Outlook has allowed this to happen for years. So do most desktop e-mail clients. BIS allowed this until the most recent upgrade (and didn't tell anyone when they changed, meaning I sent to a number of people my non-professional address without me knowing).

There is no part of the protocol that prevents spoofing the return-path for a number of reasons, including the existence of forward-only e-mail addresses (e-mail addresses that don't exist as an account, but forward only). Basically, when the client logs into the SMTP server, it says what its From address is, and the server accepts it. This is why you get all those bank phishing e-mails that look like they are coming from the actual bank.

Edit: I see I misread the date and resurrected an old thread. Sorry.
    Last edited by travisj2002; 09-06-2007 at 09:50 AM.