Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My understanding is that ISP.CINGULAR isn't enabled unless you pay for it (basically a full ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gqnyc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E627BC

Setting Up BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Modem on PC (Cingular) W/O BlackBerry Tethered Plan

Advertisement

My understanding is that ISP.CINGULAR isn't enabled unless you pay for it (basically a full isp) but WAP is. That is why in the APN settings on the Pearl you have to enter wap.cingular.
    Therefore, instead of using the +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR" string (which basically is setting the APN to ISP.CINGULAR"), I set the string to +cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR". Instead of username ISP(DA)@CINGULARGPRS.com, I used wap.cingular.com. The password stays the same: CINGULAR1.
    1. Connect Your BlackBerry
      Make sure your BlackBerry is connected by USB cable, and your BlackBerry Handheld Manager is running (just launch BlackBerry Desktop to run it.) This is necessary for using the BlackBerry as an external modem. You cannot use BlackBerry as a modem unless you have BlackBerry Handheld Manager running in the background!
    2. Modem Driver Install
      If you installed a recent version of BlackBerry Desktop that came with a 7100t, 7290, 7250, or 7520, it should include modem drivers and already be automatically installed. In the event you need to manually install them, the modem drivers should be located in this directory:
      C:\program files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Modem Drivers
      However, if you are having problems with these drivers, uninstall, delete all leftover RIM files, and then reinstall the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop.
    1. Verify The Modem Driver Is Functioning
      Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11). Click Properties -> Diagnostics -> Query Modem. You should see the following:
    2. Quote:
    1. ATQ0V1E0 - OK
      AT+GMM - BlackBerry IPmodem
      AT+FCLASS=? - OK
      AT#CLS=? - OK
      AT+GCI? - OK
      AT+GCI=? - OK
      ATI1 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
      ATI2 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
      ATI3 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
      ATI4 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
      ATI5 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
      ATI6 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
      ATI7 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem

steedtek no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

Re: Setting Up BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Modem on PC (Cingular) W/O BlackBerry Tethered Plan

i did this the other day, it worked fine for me, i just had to follow one of the FAQ's on the forums, and it's about 2x faster than dialup, (connected via USB with EDGE and cingular with normal BIS plan, non-tethered).

Any idea if using a Bluetooth connection would work / get faster speeds? as i know the COM port has speed limitations that BT doesnt.

This is a great solution for me in general, as i hate the ripoffs of WiFi at hotels etc. My question is, can i use the BIS internationaly? even with romaing data charges at all? cause then i'd never need to use those $25 for an hour hotel charges that own me.

PIN/ID
    23E627BC

Re: Setting Up BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Modem on PC (Cingular) W/O BlackBerry Tethered Plan

Would you happen to know though if Cingular will charge us lol I been doing this occassionally for the past 10 days lol

mobilehavoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ec80a2

Yes Cingular will charge you for this data you're using with your laptop tethered to the BB. At least they have done in the past...they can see what the client is that is connecting to their network and making requests.

Not worth paying so much money in fines.
    8100c - Personal on BIS
    8700c - Work on Corporate BES

"Only 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't"

PIN/ID
    23E627BC

Well I guess ill just have to come up with a hack to bypass haha lol

PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

I only used mine for about 5 minutes to see if it works, and i wasnt charged.

I'm assuming with heavy use they would charge you, which is why i'm hoping to only use it in emergency cases.

atarimaster no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)so will I get charged for this cause I'm already paying for unlimited data?

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I think international roaming charges for data are steep unless you buy the intl data unlimited add on to your plan.

PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

Based on what Cingular.com states for the "Blackberry Personal Plan - Unlimited" which is $34.99 ($29.99 with qualified voice plan)
    http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...egory=cat50012

It states these costs for rates:

Included Data Unlimited
    Additional data $0.0/KB
    Canadian Data $0.015/KB
    International Data $0.0195/KB

So it seems like its about 2cents per KB for INTNL roaming for my data plan, and i'm assuming that it will basically work when i'm there, but i dont know that part.

But 2cents to check 50 text emails (without any attachments)as they come in couldnt be more than a few bucks which is cheaper still than net cafe's and costly WiFi, not to mention the hassle of finding a place when you cant speak the language!

avrau no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Setting Up BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Modem on PC (Cingular) W/O BlackBerry Tethered P

Have been trying to get this up and running following directions in this and other threads. When I query my modem as suggested, I get the following:

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - BlackBerry IP Modem
    AT+FCLASS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    ATI1 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI2 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI3 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI4 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI5 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI6 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI7 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem

When I dial the modem (using Pearl and Cingular with BBunlimited but no tether plan), it seems to communicate with the server but then the request is rejected.

Are the "COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED" errors part of the problem?

PIN/ID
    23ec80a2

Re: Setting Up BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Modem on PC (Cingular) W/O BlackBerry Tethered P

I got it to work over USB and Bluetooth using the Widcomm 5 BT stack...works great. I also get the COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED thing above but it works like a charm.

As stated, best to only use this in an emergency because when they see you using 100MBs of data - they'll definitely know something's up. Very possible to use 100MB or so of data on a BB but probably rare...

Also they can easily check to see the client that is connecting to their proxy servers/firewalls, etc.
    8100c - Personal on BIS

PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

Wonder if someone has created a "proxy" program for the BB that allows the PC to use it as a gateway and not have the ISP know it's coming from a different device? I'd rather pay for that software once for $50 than $69 each month for cingular's tethered plan.

PIN/ID
    23ec80a2

One simple solution is to use a browser on your PC/laptop that emulates the Blackberry browser - for all intents and purposes Cingular wouldn't be able to differentiate between tethered and non-tethered.

Not sure if there's an easy to do that though. I think there's an extension for Firefox (useragent) that lets you create custom ones...but first need to figure out the string for the BB browser.
    8100c - Personal on BIS

PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

well it seems i found some software that might hide this info from cingular, it's called Pulse.
    http://software.blackberrysource.com...ct.asp?id=9568

Anyone use this program at all and know if this is in fact a good solution?

Babusg33 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20940b1d

does anyone know how well it work with t-mobile, and i will get charged if i have the unlimited data plan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast