Hi, I have just discovered the site and have spent the last 3 hours reading ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

carson no está en línea Stack level 2

Separating sms and email messages.

Advertisement

Hi,
    I have just discovered the site and have spent the last 3 hours reading . I am a BB newbie and am learning more from here than I ever thought. Anyway I have read a thread on this and tried to follow it

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The separation of SMS from email is only a function of 4.1 Zen; this is NOT the case with 4.2 Zen on the Pearl.

You should use filter shortcuts when in the Messages app list to view only email or only SMS. There are several shortcuts which are default, but the best method is to go into the shortcuts and view them all and edit or add new to meet your own preferences.

From the Messages app, press Menu --> Search --> press Menu --> select Recall. This will display the list of shortcuts currently defined.

Shortcuts are accessed by pressing ALT + (letter) from the Messages list. This will filter the view to display only what is defined within the shortcut.

As for sending from address, you're with Rogers, and a new customer to BlackBerry (I'm assuming), so therefore you're on BIS 2.1.

When you enter the compose screen for an email, the very top of the screen ought to display "Send Using: [default]". To change the send using field, scroll up, click the ball, highlight the account you wish to use, then click the ball again.

As you compose emails and send from a specific account to a certain contact in the Address Book, the BlackBerry will remember this and automatically choose the "send using" for you after you have entered the recipient in the "to:" field.

However, it doesn't seem to work for me. I have my email account set up on my BB when an sms comes in it goes to the messages inbox and when an email comes in it goes to the email box and the message box. I also cannot delete from one without deleting it from the other. I would ideally like to have my sms in messages and email in email. Am I being really stupid or is there something i can do? Judging by the level of expertise on here I know if I can't find the answer here it can't be done.
    Last edited by carson; 12-08-2006 at 09:03 PM.

carson no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Separating sms and email messages.

Anyone ? Sorry if i am being a total nerd. I have tried everything that I can think off.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

honestly on this one I am not 100% sure, but I am sure that someone will be around that will be able to help you. Lets try to keep this post at the top.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Carson, it's working as designed for you, just not what you want it to do. Please read this post for an explanation of the SINGLE Message List, Understanding Multiple Mail App Icons (BIS 2.x).

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

fvargasfrank no está en línea Stack level 2

if you ever find a way to do this let me know cause its a pain receiving it at both places.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Maybe another way of explaining it will help. There is only one place that the messages go to, the Message Database. All the different Icons and folders are just different queries to report what is in that database.

Some are provided as Icons, Some are provided as searches and others are shown as folders. But all messages are kept in only one place, except for Saved messages, which appear to be a copy.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

seedyburner no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2438f59d

Maybe they'll consider this in the next upgrade. Keeping the email inboxes seperate is a good idea and it seems that most people like it.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

I have 8 email accounts, plus do a lot of sms/mms and what I do is I hide all the invidual icons and just use the main inbox. This lessens then clutter in the list.

Then I just use Alt + S for the incoming sms, Alt + O for the Phone call list, Alt + M for MMS messages, Alt + I for incoming. While in the messages list, you can also press MENU then VIEW FOLDER for an all in one list of all the folders.

I really dont need to know what email account they came from but when I do, while viewing the email, I just click MENU and use the SHOW ADDRESS function. Then you just scroll up and it shows which account the email was sent to.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

A single Messages list is best.

I agree with rkkeller.

If I was ever forced to have 10 different icons with which to view my messages, I would likely dump the BlackBerry.

But hey, it's all about preferences. The real solution here would be for RIM to NOT have the BIS send those silly useless email icon/folder/shortcut things for each account on the BIS. This would greatly reduce confusion.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Exactly Lewis, That one thing has started a lot of complaints.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

i just hide them and forget about them.