I've searched and read multiple threads on the "security timeout" feature, but none addressed an ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rebasinka no está en línea Stack level 1

security timeout feature - working as designed??

Advertisement

I've searched and read multiple threads on the "security timeout" feature, but none addressed an issue I am seeing. My company's BES policy requires that I use a password to unlock my BB pearl. I can change the "security timeout" from 1 minute to 60 minutes...I have it set at 60 minutes. What I've noticed though, is that this feature/setting does not wait for 60 minutes of inactivity, it appears to just be a 60 minute counter. Meaning that the phone locks every 60 minutes, regardless if I've touched it our not in the past 60 minutes. Its happened several times where I have just checked an email, put the phone down (I don't own a holster), picked it up less than 2-3 minutes later and it says its locked. One time I had just ended a call with someone, they called back 2 minutes later and I had to enter my password before I could pick up the call! (The call went straight to voicemail) Needless to say, this was pretty frustrating.

Is this how this feature is supposed to work?

thanks,
    rebasinka

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Re: security timeout feature - working as designed??

The security time out will lock the BB regardless of activity

dclawyer no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cwakulik
    The security time out will lock the BB regardless of activity
    I don't think thats how mine works. I just tested it by setting the timeout to 1 minute. I then let my blackberry sit for about 30 seconds, then picked it up to check an email. I put it back down for 30 more seconds, but it was still unlocked.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by dclawyer
    I don't think thats how mine works. I just tested it by setting the timeout to 1 minute. I then let my blackberry sit for about 30 seconds, then picked it up to check an email. I put it back down for 30 more seconds, but it was still unlocked.
    Same with mine. Mine is based upon inactivity. Could this be a different BES setting?

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

There are 2 BES settings:

'Set Password Timeout' - this one will lock the handheld only if it is idle

'Periodic Challenge Time' This setting will lock the handheld regardless of activity

rebasinka no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by cwakulik
    There are 2 BES settings:

'Set Password Timeout' - this one will lock the handheld only if it is idle

'Periodic Challenge Time' This setting will lock the handheld regardless of activity
    I assume 'Periodic Challenge Time' is a setting on the BES only and I probably have to contact the BES admin to see if they are willing to change it.