Results 1 to 13 of 13

Is there anyway to put a password on a specific mail account, or on my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #1
    Deviantmissy's Avatar
    Deviantmissy no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    23ED8C94
    Posts
    187

    Security Questions

    Advertisement



    Is there anyway to put a password on a specific mail account, or on my phones memory card?
    ~ "We may lose and we may win, though we will never be here again."
    _____________
    BB 8100 Themes -
    http://deviantdigital.ws
    The evil empire that is -
    http://myspace.com/deviantdigital

  2. #2
    blackninja's Avatar
    blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Security Questions

    no and sorta.

    even though you see an icon for a particular mailbox it really is just a shortcut to built in filter. the actual messages are all going into the one big "Messages" folder.

    you can set your memory card to be encrypted and only be opened by your handheld, but thats not exactly the same thing. there are programs you can download that will password encrypt any drive, but I don't know how that would interact with your BB being able to read it..

  3. #3
    avante's Avatar
    avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1
    Posts
    638

    Re: Security Questions

    BlackNinja-Did I understand right when you said you can have different Icons for different e-mail accounts? If so could you tell me how to set that up? I'd love to know which e-mail people are using the most.

  4. #4
    avante's Avatar
    avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1
    Posts
    638

    Re: Security Questions

    Would still be interested to hear an answer to this.... Anyone?

  5. #5
    Deviantmissy's Avatar
    Deviantmissy no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    23ED8C94
    Posts
    187

    Re: Security Questions

    Ya. I'd like to know how to change the icons as well.
    ~ "We may lose and we may win, though we will never be here again."
    _____________
    BB 8100 Themes -
    http://deviantdigital.ws
    The evil empire that is -
    http://myspace.com/deviantdigital

  6. #6
    cwax's Avatar
    cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB
    Posts
    4,513

    Re: Security Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Deviantmissy
    Is there anyway to put a password on a specific mail account, or on my phones memory card?
    You can choose to password protect the media card, where you can view files on it even if it's used in another device as long as you have the password, or you can choose to lock it to your handheld only, or both. BUT! if you copy files over using mass storage mode(not the media manager) the files will not be encrypted and will be able to be read even on a PC with a media card reader. I have a case in with RIM to see if they can do something about this because I don't see too many people using the media manager over mass storage mode(using the pearl like a usb flash drive)




  7. #7
    blackninja's Avatar
    blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Security Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by avante
    BlackNinja-Did I understand right when you said you can have different Icons for different e-mail accounts? If so could you tell me how to set that up? I'd love to know which e-mail people are using the most.
    no, I didn't mean it in that way, sorry. I meant how when you bring up menu, you see icons to the various email addresses you have registered. I guess I should've said seperate. I'll choose my words -edit- more carefully-edit- next time, lol.

  8. #8
    avante's Avatar
    avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1
    Posts
    638

    Re: Security Questions

    No worries BlackNinja. I got excited for a minute but it's ok that you crushed my dreams. Would be nice to be able to do though.

  9. #9
    j llama's Avatar
    j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME
    Posts
    4,319

    Re: Security Questions

    i have three different email icons in addition to my messages icon.
    I have an email icon for yahoo, Gmail, and blackberry email.
    i just have them "hidden" on menu list

    not sure if this is what you guys are talking about.
    if so, i didn't do anything extra. they've just been there
    since i set up the email accts.

  10. #10
    blackninja's Avatar
    blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Security Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by j llama
    i have three different email icons in addition to my messages icon.
    I have an email icon for yahoo, Gmail, and blackberry email.
    i just have them "hidden" on menu list

    not sure if this is what you guys are talking about.
    if so, i didn't do anything extra. they've just been there
    since i set up the email accts.
    they thought I meant that I had different icons (like chosen ones), not different icons.

    get it? lol

  11. #11
    Deviantmissy's Avatar
    Deviantmissy no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    23ED8C94
    Posts
    187

    Re: Security Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by cwakulik
    You can choose to password protect the media card, where you can view files on it even if it's used in another device as long as you have the password, or you can choose to lock it to your handheld only, or both. BUT! if you copy files over using mass storage mode(not the media manager) the files will not be encrypted and will be able to be read even on a PC with a media card reader. I have a case in with RIM to see if they can do something about this because I don't see too many people using the media manager over mass storage mode(using the pearl like a usb flash drive)
    I dont have my memory card yet, but once i get it, how do i go about putting a password on it?
    ~ "We may lose and we may win, though we will never be here again."
    _____________
    BB 8100 Themes -
    http://deviantdigital.ws
    The evil empire that is -
    http://myspace.com/deviantdigital

  12. #12
    blackninja's Avatar
    blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Security Questions

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ in options, advanced options, media card. I think you'll understand the big holes in media security once you get it. With a regular media card reader anyone can just pop in the card and read the contents, nothing like a pw window would pop up. Anything you drag/drop onto card isn't protected, only certain types of files that is saved THROUGH the phone, like pictures.

    Anyway, play around with it and you'll get a better understanding for it. My suggestion is not to encrypt the card since there's more negatives than positives in how the pearl does it, but it's your call.

  13. #13
    avante's Avatar
    avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1
    Posts
    638

    Re: Security Questions

    I'm with Black Ninja on this one. No huge positives to outweight the negatives with encryption on the Pearl.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •