I'm noticing that while browsing or typing a letter,my bb screen keeps dimming then gets ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4

Screen Issue?

Advertisement

I'm noticing that while browsing or typing a letter,my bb screen keeps dimming then gets brighter on its own. Is there a setting to fix this or should I be concerned?

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Screen Issue?

go to 'Options'

go to 'Screen/Keyboard'

Under there should be an optino to turn off auto-dim or whatever its called.

I don't have that option since i'm on a slightly different OS. There's a light sensor somewher eon the screen. I don't know where it is. On the 7130c, it was to the right side near the 'blackberry' name above the screen. I have yet to find it on the Pearl and think its integrated into the indicator LED (I put my finger over the LED, the trackball lights up).

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

On the Pearl, it is on the top right, inside the speaker hole.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    There's a light sensor somewher eon the screen. I don't know where it is. On the 7130c, it was to the right side near the 'blackberry' name above the screen. I have yet to find it on the Pearl and think its integrated into the indicator LED (I put my finger over the LED, the trackball lights up).

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4

I changed it to auto dim off, and I believe it stopped doing it. But for some reason I feel it was brighter, maybe I'm just imagining. I guess light sensor, should be disabled now?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have my screen turned down to 50 for full brigtness' so when it does go dimmer I don't notice it much. I guess for people who like the screen 100 bright would notice and be annoyed by the auto dim more

Quote Originally Posted by ocanyc
    I changed it to auto dim off, and I believe it stopped doing it. But for some reason I feel it was brighter, maybe I'm just imagining. I guess light sensor, should be disabled now?
    Yes, with auto-dim off, the programming stops accessing the sensor.

When you turn auto-dim off, the screen should go to the brightness level you have the phone set to. E.g., I have it at 100%, so when I turn auto-dim off, the display brightens big time because of the 100% setting.

If a display does not seem that bright to you at any one time, keep in mind that such may depend on what is on the screen. E.g., a white background is so bright that in the dark the Pearl makes a good flashlight. But, with a light blue background the Pearl does not seem as bright.

So I don't think there is anything wrong with the brightness of your display.

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    On the Pearl, it is on the top right, inside the speaker hole.
    You sure? It was changing for me when I covered the 'indicator' light. When I covered the speaker hole nothing happened.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by HyperM3
    You sure? It was changing for me when I covered the 'indicator' light. When I covered the speaker hole nothing happened.

Alex
    there seems to be about an 8 second delay before it dims.

but if you're working in a bright area and the trackball isn't lit, if you place your finger over the LED indicator, the trackball will light up immediately and the screen will dim after the delay.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I am pretty sure that the sensor is near the indicator light...8700 and 8100 both have the keyboard light up when the indicator light is covered...

That's what I was told a month ago. But on looking inside there just now with a jeweler's loupe and flashlight, I don't see anything that looks like a sensor.

The signal light looks like it could have a dual purpose, it has sort of a "sensor" look to the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperM3

Alex

Drewbe no está en línea Stack level 1

I went in and turned off the led coverage indicator but it still goes dim and I don't have an option called auto dim. Is there maybe a software issue with my 8100?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbe
    I went in and turned off the led coverage indicator but it still goes dim and I don't have an option called auto dim. Is there maybe a software issue with my 8100?
    you need to have an updated OS to get the option.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rade_your.html