Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey all! I am sooo careful with my pearl, but out of my control now ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pradaisgood no está en línea Stack level 1

scratch remover?

Advertisement

Hey all! I am sooo careful with my pearl, but out of my control now there's a small scratch on my screen. Just enough to make the pixels flare up in that one line.Has anyone had any success with a scratch remover, ie for cd's, that could remove that?I read an article with someone doing that to their nano and it working great.?Thanks!

lilbukka no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DED170

Re: scratch remover?

I had an apple nano I no there's a scratch fixer just do a google I'm sure you'll find one

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by pradaisgood
    Hey all! I am sooo careful with my pearl, but out of my control now there's a small scratch on my screen. Just enough to make the pixels flare up in that one line.Has anyone had any success with a scratch remover, ie for cd's, that could remove that?I read an article with someone doing that to their nano and it working great.?Thanks!
    You may want to try Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner. It takes out light surface scratches. I have used it for years on different plastic pieces.

If does not take out the scratch, it will at least remove the microscopic grains inside the scratch and make the scratch less visible.

After using that you may want to put a screen protector over the screen. This will reduce the reflection the scratch gives.

Scratches are visible for two reasons. Either there is white or colored "dust" [residue] inside the scratch, thus you see a white or dull colored line.

If the scratch is clean, then what you see is light reflecting off of it and/or the disruption of an otherwise smooth surface.

So that is why a piece of plastic [screen protector] may make the surface smooth once again and the scratch less visible if not totally gone.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar's %20Brand)%3EClear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=15101

pradaisgood no está en línea Stack level 1

I'll have to check that out!

thanks!

NightFire no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Wheel

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks for the scratch info. I have been looking into getting a screen protector for my BB. So, am I to understand that there are now screen protectors made for BlackBerry?

I would also like it to cover the silver frame around the screen. I have a little scratch on the frame's finish. It drives me nuts. Do you think there is something I could use to buff off the frame scratch--or would that damage the finish?

LGV2006 no está en línea Stack level 2

For screen protectors, I'm using Fellows WriteRight to create a custom one for the screen of my Pearl. I also use a small strip on the battery cover. This product comes with 12 sheets which yields 2 screen protectors per sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFire
    Thanks for the scratch info. I have been looking into getting a screen protector for my BB. So, am I to understand that there are now screen protectors made for BlackBerry?

I would also like it to cover the silver frame around the screen. I have a little scratch on the frame's finish. It drives me nuts. Do you think there is something I could use to buff off the frame scratch--or would that damage the finish?
    I NEVER buy screen protectors made specifically for my devices. They are over priced.

I buy generic screen protectors and simply cut to size. Go to your local computer store and see what they have. Fellowes are good, but there are others too.

Most come with a graph measuring sheet or you can measure the screen size with a ruler.

Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-01-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Eagle_R no está en línea Stack level 2

I temporarily used Fellowes WriteRight as my screen protector until my RIM BlackBerry 8100 Pearl Total Body Skin arrived from bestskinsever.com

I think it is decently priced at $6.99....also got free shipping since I did a group buy for 2 Pearls, 2 Razrs and a SLVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_R
    I temporarily used Fellowes WriteRight as my screen protector until my RIM BlackBerry 8100 Pearl Total Body Skin arrived from bestskinsever.com

I think it is decently priced at $6.99....also got free shipping since I did a group buy for 2 Pearls, 2 Razrs and a SLVR.
    Yeah, I like that total body skin concept too. I just ordered 3 for the Pearl so I could get the free shipping [will give one to a friend who has the Pearl too.

Thanks for the reminder about the product.

ernestdefoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    218D1F76

I just ordered a full body kit for my Pearl. I love this device too much to let it get scratched. I do carry mine in a pouch, but still.....it never hurts to have some added protection.

poiuytman no está en línea Stack level 1

Whatever you do, don't try polishing with Brasso, as recommended for the iPod Nano. I tried it and messed up my screen pretty bad. It softened the scratch somewhat, but left a dozen more tiny scratches, causing that awful rainbow effect. Luckily I was able to make up an excuse so T-Mobile would exchange it for me.

I'm guessing that the plastic on the 8100 is harder, but more brittle than the type used on the Nano. I found some Displex scratch remover on Google, made especially for cell phone screens, but now I'm a bit paranoid about polishing.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

poiuytman, Welcome to PinStack, and thanks for the warning.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by poiuytman
    Whatever you do, don't try polishing with Brasso, as recommended for the IPOD Nano. I tried it and messed up my screen pretty bad. It softened the scratch somewhat, but left a dozen more tiny scratches, causing that awful rainbow effect. Luckily I was able to make up an excuse so T-Mobile would exchange it for me.

I'm guessing that the plastic on the 8100 is harder, but more brittle than the type used on the Nano. I found some Displex scratch remover on Google, made especially for cell phone screens, but now I'm a bit paranoid about polishing.
    Generally, one has to be careful when using any scratch remover because all of them contain some sort of abrasive.

Some of the gentler ones contain less aggressive abrasives than others.

I would definitely not use any scratch remover or polish that was NOT specifically made for plastic. Brasso is a metal polish. I would have steered clear of that.

Generally you are safe in using any polish or remover designed for plastics.

How lucky you were to get an exchange.

LGV2006 no está en línea Stack level 2

Has anyone received and installed the full body skins? How does the screen look - any distortion? Are the skins themselves easy to clean?

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

I now have the full body skin on my pearl, it's nice and there is no distortion! Shieldzone.com!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast