Hello all, This is my first post here. I have been cruising around for a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

crispee no está en línea Stack level 1

BB vs Smartphone

Advertisement

Hello all,
    This is my first post here. I have been cruising around for a few days and I'm am ready to chunk my pearl in the river. Dont get me wrong it works great but I have come from a smartphone touchscreen to the pearl and I am surprised at the number of things you can NOT do with a BB. So maybe you guys and gals can help me figure out how to use it.

Here is a list of what I used to do and maybe you can tell me how to with my pearl.

1. Receive an email and save the attachment to the phone and forward it on. (this strips my contractors email info out of the email so my cust thinks the file is from me)

2. Go to a web site and download a file to the phone to email to someone.

3. Edit a word doc on my phone. (if i could save it somewhere)

4. What does saving an email do? How is that usefull?

I am thinking the only use for my BB is to instantly tell me when i have email. Then I need another phone to actually handle all the emails and documents. Do I need a different BB? Please dont think I hate my phone I just do not understand the whole BB system.
    Last edited by crispee; 10-10-2007 at 06:56 PM.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Saving files to BB

crispee welcome to the stacks
    here's a shot at some help for ya
    1) what sort of an attachment? is it a word doc or image? if its a word doc, i can open and view it, but i can't save it (and i can forward the entire email, but not the attachment, bc i can't save it)...if its an image (jpg, png) then i can open the attachment and save it...then resend if i want to someone else (or forward it)
    2) again, what sort of file?
    3) you will need additional software to be able to edit a word doc (maybe that's why i can't save it...i've never purchased additional software to read office/ms docs on my bb, so im not completely sure if that will make it work)
    4) saving an email will put it in a saved folder...that way, if you have your email settings set to purge every 10 days (or whatever) that email will not be purged...

i hope that at least helps with some of the questions

1) word doc

PIN/ID
    ATA

hehe ^^ ok...

the ONLY way that i can think of is, and only if you don't have to edit it, have it sent in image format. then you can save it and resend without the contractors information

how do you send a doc in image format?

PIN/ID
    ATA

it has to be saved as an image (are these quotes or estimates?) then sent...you won't be able to convert it on bb...

eflowe no está en línea Stack level 1

Beamberry offers a good solution. It will allow you to save and view doc, pdf, xls and other files. You can even add files as attachments in email. You can't edit files. BB software is available to save, view, and edit. It's expensive. Go to handango (sp??). Go to beamberry.com for Beamberry. One thing about Beamberry is that the files are stored on their server and not your BB.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Founder no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: BB vs Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by crispee
    I have come from a smartphone touchscreen to the pearl and I am surprised at the number of things you can NOT do with a BB.
    Yeah, BB has some limitations compared to smartphone/PDA.
    So I have BB (not my choice, thou) to see mail when it comes, make quick text answers if necessary, and make phone calls. Rest of bussiness is done on laptop...
    In space no one can hear you scream.

Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock Jelly Bean 4.3)
    Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung GT-I9100 Galaxy S II (CM 10.2)

Re: BB vs Smartphone

well that seems totally crazy. Is there another BB that can handle docs?

ericjackson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    Quote Originally Posted by eflowe
    Beamberry offers a good solution. It will allow you to save and view doc, pdf, xls and other files. You can even add files as attachments in email. You can't edit files. BB software is available to save, view, and edit. It's expensive. Go to handango (sp??). Go to beamberry.com for Beamberry. One thing about Beamberry is that the files are stored on their server and not your BB.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have beamberry, and I know how to save documents. I want to know how to send them as attachments from my phone, I haven't figured it out yet. Can someone help?