I've a new Blackberry 8110, running the latest 4.3 OS, and yesterday I decided to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

doodyhead no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Saving and viewing long recorded videos

Advertisement

I've a new Blackberry 8110, running the latest 4.3 OS, and yesterday I decided to record a video of a meeting at work. I have a 4 gig card and it works fine when recording short videos.

However, the meeting was 45 minutes long and the resulting 3GP file was 958 MB. It seemed to save fine to the microSD card and there were no errors during the saving process.

Then, when I went to play the video, it failed saying it was an unrecognized format. Thinking that maybe the phone couldn't handle playing files that large, I transferred it to my PC and tried playing it over both Quicktime and Real Player. Neither worked, giving the same error.

As a last gasp attempt, I also tried a few different video fixing applications I found on the web. However, none of them worked.

Is anyone aware of any video length or file size limitations with the Blackberry video recorder, please? It would be nice to know if there's some kind of cutoff, so I could stop one recording video and start another.

Thanks!

As a further update to this, I just tried another 45 minute recording. This time, it again finished fine and saved fine. But when I went to look at the file on the card, it was 2 GB in size and the error message when attempting to play it was, "The media being played is of an unsupported format". It seems to be filling whatever space is available on the card.

I tested a one minute video with lots of motion and it was 2.7 MB. It seems strange that a 45 minute video would be more than 120MB or so (2.7 * 45).
    Last edited by doodyhead; 05-29-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo

One last update, I recorded a 10 minute video as a test and it saved and played back fine. It was only 23 MB, so I think the video file limitation is somehow related to the amount of free device memory.