Hi everyone! This is my first post here and the Pearl is my first Blackbery. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

revenant no está en línea Stack level 1

Question ringtone pause/delay?

Advertisement

Hi everyone! This is my first post here and the Pearl is my first Blackbery. Woo!

So here's my question. I apologize if this is a "duh" question, but I'm tried to solve it myself and haven't come up with anything. I used a little trial app that I downloaded online to cut up a few of my MP3s into little bite size chunks for ringtones. Not long clips, maybe 10-20 seconds long. What I've discovered is that when one is set as a ringtone, the ringtone will play as it displays there's an incoming call, then when the tone is over instead of immediately looping it (like I'm used to on other phones I've had) it pauses for about a second or so, and then starts the tone over. This ends up sounding, well, stupid.

Is there a way to tweak this? I can't understand why it's not an immediate loop of the clip. I'm not wanting to play full songs, just clips, and would love it if I could get them to seemlessly play. (And if no one else has had this problem I wonder if it's the program I'm using adding a delay at the end...?)

Thanks in advance for any help, I so far haven't found an answer!

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    There is no way that I am aware of to fix it,
    The ringtones always pause for a quick second.

As far as I know most phones pause for a second or less between rings. my nokia does as well as my BB.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Hi revenant, welcome to pinstack. Why not make the ringer longer? I have mine to 30-45 seconds and that is perfect.

PacificDude8 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by revenant
    What I've discovered is that when one is set as a ringtone, the ringtone will play as it displays there's an incoming call, then when the tone is over instead of immediately looping it (like I'm used to on other phones I've had) it pauses for about a second or so, and then starts the tone over. This ends up sounding, well, stupid.
    What I've noticed is that ringtones you download online are always usually 30 seconds. Or anyways from any professional site i've encountered. I also make my own ringtones using iXchange Mp3 Editor, and usually my clips sound good at 30 seconds.

i'm going to vote that it is a device issue, and not the software you're using to create your own tones. And my reasoning for this is that I've seen some sites with downloadable soundfx with just neat ringers (like on the voip phones on tv show 24) and since it's a short clip, with just one ring the phone inserts a silence, so there are also other files you can download of the same tone, only repeating the tone in the sound file until the standard 30 seconds is up. so you don't get that silence for the phone to reload the ringtone again.

I don't know how much sense that last paragraph makes to you, reply if you 'don't get it' and I'll try to simplify my text.

Some good advice; Put your custom ringtones in the DEVICE memory instead of your Media Card. Do this to prevent delay in loading of the ringtone. I was noticing that reasonably longer clips for ringtones (20-30 secs) weren't ringing until a good 10-15 seconds AFTER the phone lit up to show someone was calling! This meant I wasn't being alerted that someone was calling by hearing my phone ring until after my callers heard 3 rings on their end and were about to go to voicemail. I missed a lot of calls this way (job interview calls too :cry: )

revenant no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the timely replies everyone!

Upon listening to rings on my old phone, I do notice there's a slight delay, but not nearly as long a delay as on my BBP. I think I will either try and a) find a program that allows me to loop a clip more than once and thus, PacificDude, do what you described-- have the same part of the clip repeating up to 30 seconds so you don't have that long delay between repeats or b) make the clips longer as cp6169 suggested.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    revenant, Welcome to PinStack.

I think the pause between rings, however they are made is pretty much standard with all phone Cellular or other. Can't recall if I've ever had one that didn't. But as you have acknowledge, the Dude and cp have pointed out, there are workarounds. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles