Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know of a way to disable the feature of ringer silencing when you ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Xalam no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Ringer Silence...?

Advertisement

Does anyone know of a way to disable the feature of ringer silencing when you push a button while the phone is ringing on an incoming Call?

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Ringer Silence...?

huh?

Do you mean you want it to continue ringing when you push a button?

Why not just not push a button?

Not pushing a button is not the issue...

If the device is sitting on your hip and you bump into something, pushing a button, just as the phone starts ringing...

Anyway, anything useful?

roamingcharg no está en línea Stack level 1

I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I just got mine yesterday, but the slightest little touch of the "pearl" and the ringer stops ringing. I called my BB rep but he was no help. I can't find anything in the settings. I've missed quite a few calls because of carrying it in my pocket and movement cuts off the ring.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Xalam and roamingcharg, welcome to PinStack,

Can't really help with the Pearl, but wanted to welcome you anyway.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

If your concern is movement of the trackball while getting a call, there's 2 solutions to this...

1) Wait for the official T-mo OS update, or install the Rogers or O2 Pearl OS. These other OS's fixed the trackball ringer-stop fuction...so the phone can ring and rolling the ball will do nothing. Unfortunately the T-mo OS update isn't available yet. I have the O2 software so that fixed it for me as well as supporting my 2gb sd card.

2) Other option is to get a case with sleeper function. Not sure if putting the pearl to sleep will stop this problem, but i suspect it will. I have a seidio clip where i can mount the phone facing in (protecting keys and ball) or facing out. Either way, it sleeps in my clip.

But simply getting a case for it to prevent movement of the trackball may solve your problem too...but if you were to get a case, i suggest you get one with the sleeper function.

Thanks for the suggestion, but in my experience, the case will not help. While the sleep function saves battery and instantly applies 'quiet mode', it does not prevent button pushes.

Also, were would you be able to get the OS upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Xalam
    Thanks for the suggestion, but in my experience, the case will not help. While the sleep function saves battery and instantly applies 'quiet mode', it does not prevent button pushes.

Also, were would you be able to get the OS upgrade?

I fail to see your point. I never heard of a software program that can tell the difference between accidental and intended button pushes. If they come out with an OS that disregards all button pushes when the phone rings, then no one would be able to answer their phones. The new OS only cures the trackball rolling problem, not button pushes.

further, if the case is not a sleeper case, it will STILL help prevent buttons from being pushed and the trackball from rolling, and therefore not turning off the ring when you receive a call. do you plan on participating in some extreme contact sports while wearing your pearl that buttons will be pushed while it is in a case?

And if the case IS a sleeper case, it will prevent any action even if the buttons ARE pressed. With my seidio clip, i can put the phone in so the buttons face outward, but it would still be asleep. If i receive a call, i can't do ANYTHING...i can hit buttons and roll and push the trackball until the cows come home, it will NOT DO ANYTHING while asleep except keep ringing or vibrating until voicemail picks up. This was while i still had the t-mo software. the only way to answer it is to take the phone OUT of the case and wake it up.

So again, those are your options. I really don't see how you reason a case, either with or without sleeper function, won't work.

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3

I want to know the opposite. How do I silence the ringing if my phone is in the clip? I have the seidio clip and the ball is on the inside. Ive tried hitting every button but it keeps ringing. Kind of embarassing if Im talking to a customer in front of me and I cant even turn my phone off.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by HyperM3
    I want to know the opposite. How do I silence the ringing if my phone is in the clip? I have the seidio clip and the ball is on the inside. Ive tried hitting every button but it keeps ringing. Kind of embarassing if Im talking to a customer in front of me and I cant even turn my phone off.

Alex
    just do a quick pull out and in. i usually keep my phone faced inward, so that's the only way to silence it anyway. much better than fumbling with buttons or letting it ring in front of a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    just do a quick pull out and in. i usually keep my phone faced inward, so that's the only way to silence it anyway. much better than fumbling with buttons or letting it ring in front of a customer.
    Not as easy as a quick pull in/out. With the clip I have to undo the top latch and move the phone. Kind of awkward. Im much more used to tapping the volume key or something to silence rings. That is much easier IMHO.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by HyperM3
    Not as easy as a quick pull in/out. With the clip I have to undo the top latch and move the phone. Kind of awkward. Im much more used to tapping the volume key or something to silence rings. That is much easier IMHO.

Alex
    undo the top latch? are we talking about the same seidioclip?

I am wearing it in a horizontal position on my left side (i'm right handed, by the way). I can put my left hand, facing inward, fingers pointing down and forward (45 degrees), and grab the phone with all fingers EXCEPT my index finger. Then I use my index finger and push up on the latch enough so i can pull the device out with my other fingers. I can do this without looking like it's 2nd nature. Then i can either look to see who is calling, or just push it back in as soon as it 'wakes' without touching the latchl. I have the bestskinsever on it so i'm not afraid of scratching it where it rubs onto the latch.

would it be easier if you can just push a button to silence it? sure...but my life would be easier if i had $5 million dollars too. since i don't have $5million and you can't push a button to silence this phone while it's sleeping, i guess i'll just have to go with the 2nd best option...work for a living and do a quick in-out with the phone to silence it.

since i don't have $5million and you can't push a button to silence this phone while it's sleeping, i guess i'll just have to go with the 2nd best option...work for a living and do a quick in-out with the phone to silence it.
    I hardly see it as a fair comparison. Pardon me if Im used to every other phone manufacturer in the world making it easy to shut a ring off by hitting a button. Considering I cant get to the 'mute' button on the top because of the way the Seidio clips in something else has to work. I would also appreciate an empathetic answer instead of cynicism.

Thanks,
    Alex

it's a completely fair comparison. We are not talking about every other phone on the market, we are talking about this ONE specific phone.

And if this phone doesn't have this feature, then it doesn't have this feature and you have to live with it or get a different phone, plain and simple. Same as I don't have $5M dollars...I don't have $5M and I have to live with it, plain and simple.

So your choices with this phone are simply this: 1) futily keep pushing buttons, 2) let it keep ringing, or 3) do a quick out-in like I suggested. At the moment, there's NO BETTER choice.

seriously, what kind of "empathetic" answer are you looking for? The answer you are looking for DOES NOT EXIST.

Sorry I am not the "touchy-feely" type, or the type to whine about life's little inconveniences. I'd rather move on and find the next best alternative, which I shared with you, rather than ask people to give me "empathetic" answers that, at the moment, does not exist. And i like to look at things from a humorous and light-hearted approach. If you see that as cynicism, then my advice to you is to lighten up.

I fail to see your point. I never heard of a software program that can tell the difference between accidental and intended button pushes. If they come out with an OS that disregards all button pushes when the phone rings, then no one would be able to answer their phones. The new OS only cures the trackball rolling problem, not button pushes.

further, if the case is not a sleeper case, it will STILL help prevent buttons from being pushed and the trackball from rolling, and therefore not turning off the ring when you receive a call. do you plan on participating in some extreme contact sports while wearing your pearl that buttons will be pushed while it is in a case?

And if the case IS a sleeper case, it will prevent any action even if the buttons ARE pressed. With my seidio clip, i can put the phone in so the buttons face outward, but it would still be asleep. If i receive a call, i can't do ANYTHING...i can hit buttons and roll and push the trackball until the cows come home, it will NOT DO ANYTHING while asleep except keep ringing or vibrating until voicemail picks up. This was while i still had the t-mo software. the only way to answer it is to take the phone OUT of the case and wake it up.

So again, those are your options. I really don't see how you reason a case, either with or without sleeper function, won't work.

When you are in a situation were you install certain items for certain people, you can be put in some rather tight areas. In this situation, you must be worried about accidentily hitting a button while it is in a case. The phone can not be left away from the individual, as someone may need to contact them. Also, The phone can not be placed somewhere else in the room with the individual, as that is a 'sensitive item' issue, and may be left behind.

This issue is not my personal question, it is the question asked unto me by others around me.

I would like to know if anyone knows of a way to accomplish the initial situation. If no one knows of a way, then fine. It would just be great if someone did know of a way to keep the ringer on the phone from silencing when a button is accidentily pushed while on your person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast