Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You're gonna want that holster, anyway. It's a big part of what makes the Blackberry ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

icepulse no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Ringer doesn't work in your pocket!

Advertisement

You're gonna want that holster, anyway. It's a big part of what makes the Blackberry cool. Get an email chime? pull out of holster and it will automatically open the email. Phone ringing? You can set it to answer automatically when you remove it from the holster.

TexRob no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by icepulse
    You're gonna want that holster, anyway. It's a big part of what makes the Blackberry cool. Get an email chime? pull out of holster and it will automatically open the email. Phone ringing? You can set it to answer automatically when you remove it from the holster.
    No offense, but well, holsters aren't for everyone. I'm probably that person that diehard BB fans hate, and I can appreciate that, but I don't want to have a big ole holster on my belt. The pearl is the first BB to appeal to me becaue I have to have my phone in my pocket. Those holster features do sound cool, but not cool enough to make me wear something on my belt. Heck, I don't even wear a belt 95% of the time

Hopefully this is fixed soon. I bought my pearl knowing about this problem, expecting RIM would get a way to disable the "feature" soon.

bellaa2020 no está en línea Stack level 1

so where can I get one of these cases???

I don't have the Pearl yet. I was debatting on whether I should get because of this problem.

Would anyone recommend me getting is, or should I just wait to see if the problem gets fixed?

eyehate no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF25FD

rim is aware of the issue and should have a way to lock the trackball in the next software update

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Thumbs down Guess It's Official - Missed Calls Because of Ball is a BUG

As reported on computer tech sites:

Trackball Accidentally Kills BlackBerry Pearl Ringer

September 19, 2006

The Pearl in Pearl, the trackball in RIM's first BlackBerry to feature a camera and a media player, is having some problems in association with receiving phone calls. Early reports say a bug causes the trackball, which replaces the traditional BlackBerry scroll wheel, to silence the smartphone's ringer with the slightest movement.

Unlike a scroll wheel, the trackball isn't recessed. It sticks out of the phone and is extremely freewheeling. So if you have a BlackBerry Pearl in your jeans or a purse, the trackball could easily move and have important consequences on whether or not you have a phone call.

Sure, it isn't that much of a problem if you hear the handset ring first and then start to reach in to pull it out beforehand. But it is a real issue if the movement happens before you become aware that the ringer had gone off. Then you would almost certainly miss the call.

We would expect T-Mobile, the first carrier to ship Pearl, and RIM would jump on this and offer a fix fairly quickly. Engadget says they tried to explain the problim to RIM rep at CTIA last week without much luck. As the blog points out, the Canadian push e-mail and PDA leader would have to 'get' the problem to fix it. With enough complaints, I'm sure they will pretty quickly.

T-Mobile sells Pearl for $200 after $150 in discounts and with a 2-year service contract.
    Next week, Rogers Wireless is expected to become the second operator to deliver Pearl, while Cingular Wireless should start offering as the BlackBerry Pearl 8100c later in the fall.

BlackBerry Pearl won't ring in your pocket

Posted Sep 17th 2006 12:53PM

Anyone who's had the good fortune of seeing a Pearl in the flesh knows that it's one extraordinarily good looking phone, particularly by BlackBerry standards. Unfortunately, where we come from, phones that don't ring are called "paperweights" -- which is exactly what the Pearl becomes when the trackball gets nudged.

You know, like if it's in your pocket, or your purse, or pretty much anywhere besides a stationary counter top. As it turns out, when the phone rings, the handset immediately silences the ringer with even the slightest movement of the trackball, regardless of whether keylock is enabled.

While we do appreciate the Pearl taking the initiative for us and ignoring phone calls so we don't have to, there is an occasional situation where we like to make the decision ourselves, and until RIM issues a fix users simply don't have that option.

Strangely, two Engadget editors patiently attempted to explain the issue to a RIM representative this week at CTIA for several minutes without success; we think the first step to RIM issuing a fix would be for the company to understand the problem, so we could be in for a bit of a wait. Maybe the words we were using were too big?
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 09-23-2006 at 02:12 PM.

abadaba no está en línea Stack level 1

So damn annoying! Rediculous

BigDread no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204D4C4B

First off i just found this site and thank you lord, second yep i've missed most of my calls from my pocket. and actually last night @ the jackass movie i laughed so hard that i fwd'd a message 20 times from my pocket
    i think i'll return mine

abadaba no está en línea Stack level 1

I am thinking the same thing. A 'Minor Annoyance"???? A phone that doesn't ring is a "Minor Annoyance"??? LOL
    And you are right BigDread, when in pocket, the bloody thing is busy doing other "minorly annoying" things like forwarding messages, making other calls, scolling to screens other than the one it was placed in pocket with, etc. As a newbie Blackberry owner, somebody please tell me the engineers at this company aren't idiots! Have others models had issues that are this obviously moronic?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

BigDread, Welcome to PinStack.

Have you tried using the keyboard lock feature before placing the pearl in your pocket. I don't think it will solve the ringing issue, but it should prevent the other problems.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

I wear my BB, and all phones in the past, on my belt, so the ball issue is not a problem.

I did wear a suit yesterday and noted that when I had the phone in my shirt pocket I missed two calls.

I am sure RIM will have a fix quite soon since this issue may make the national news and cause sales to plummet. I can just see the headlines:

"RIM's New BlackBerry Takes 'Do Not Disturb' To New Level"

BigDread no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204D4C4B

I bought an incredibly cheap $5 case on Madison ave and i will say i havent missed as many calls but i am still debating on returning it.I love every feature but, if it dont ring it aint a phone.By the way could someone point me in the direction of video help,and how to download songs for ring tones and basic nube info on playing w/ my phone

scotteru33 no está en línea Stack level 2

You can adjust the pearl's trackball sensitivity by going to options, and then to screen/keyboard. I haven't had a chance to experiment with the settings, but i think if you choose one of the lowest two sensitivity settings this should fix the problem.

sepudo no está en línea Stack level 1

Arrow Re: Ringer doesn't work in your pocket!

if you activate the 'sensor' in the pearl all buttons are disabled and when a call/message comes in the trackball moving will not disable the ringer.

I offer two fixes...get a small magnet from your local home depot and crazy glue it to the bottom back part of your holster. (the 'sensor' in on the bottom portion of the phone and can be activated by placing a magnet on the back by the copper points or on the front by the space bar, #0 key.

for those who dislike wearing a holster, another fix is to get a wrist sweatband, like those used in tennis (= and sew a magnet somewhere on the outside of the band and wrap your phone vertically with the band. essentially covering the phone from top to bottom with the magnet placed by the copper points on the lower back. it will not only disable the trackball but also protect the body of the pearl while its in your pocket with keys or in your purse.

again, im new but as soon as i am able to i'll post pics of this and of my bootleg phone pouch (with magnet) that i made. works like a charm and you do get the benefit of the cool blackberry features like new message opening, etc...

I have my Pearl set on vibrate and when I get calls i can move the trackball like crazy all over the place and the phone keeps ringing just fine!!! I also have bluetooth enabled to my headset, if that makes a difference.

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

Well here is a thought... DON'T put it in your pocket. That is the number one cause to damaged cell phones.. if you pay for something take care of it.
    Welcome to my World!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast