Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The biggest issue with the Pearl that I can see is the behavior of the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pcm2 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Ringer doesn't work in your pocket!

Advertisement

The biggest issue with the Pearl that I can see is the behavior of the trackball when a call is incoming. In short, it behaves exactly like the scroll wheel on older Blackberries: If a call is incoming and the phone is ringing, moving the trackball will immediately silence the ringer. Try it -- call yourself, then move the trackball just a hair. The ringer goes mute immediately.

Why is this a problem? Because unlike the scroll wheel on older models, the trackball on the Pearl is extremely free-moving and is not recessed but actually sticks out of the front of the phone. If you have the phone in your pocket and you're moving even at all, the trackball will move, guaranteed. The net effect is that so long as you have the phone in your pocket, it will almost never ring -- at least, not long enough for you to hear it.

Does anyone know a fix for this? There is no preference that I can find that will let the ringer keep going while you're choosing between "Answer" and "Ignore."

If there's no fix, could everybody please contact T-Mobile and let them know about this problem? If it becomes one of the top "known issues" with this hardware then hopefully we can get a fix from RIM soon.

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

Re: Ringer doesn't work in your pocket!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Have you tried keyboard lock?

Yes; keyboard does not lock the trackball.

zyggy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF2532

can you adjust the sensitivity of your track ball?

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You could pour some soda on the trackwheel so it doesn't move so freely?

Sorry no not be so helpful. But I don't see an easy solution.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I do not know. Interesting problem. Hmmmmm.... Maybe a good case/holster would solve this problem. Of course there are not many of those out on the market, and I understand the 8100 does not come with one on its own.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Yes, there is no easy solution. It's a problem related to the redesigned BlackBerry... they're using the same software as older BlackBerrys but the hardware works differently in the real world. The only way it will get resolved is if 8100 owners contact T-Mobile and notify them of the problem. If enough people complain then we will get a fix from RIM. Otherwise we will be stuck with a cell phone that doesn't ring for incoming calls except when it's lying motionless on a table, and that's just unacceptable.

ccjjr59 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have the same problem here, I never feel new messages and calls because of the trackball moving.

Hopefully they will fix this problem soon.

merlik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204AEA28

I hope they fix this soon. I thought the whole point of the pearl was so that you could put it in your pocket and not have to have a holster.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

This seems to be an issue affecting most 8100 users. Even if the keys are locked I'm hearing. Seems like an issue users will be stuck with at least till an OS update. Let's HOPE!

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Odd that this would not come out in testing. I wear my 7100t on my belt. I suspect that maybe in testing that is all RIM did too. So they did not catch the trackball/pocket issue.

Seems easy enough to fix with a firmware or OS patch/upgrade. They can add a "disable trackball" feature [maybe activated by pressing and holding the trackball for three seconds] or a "trackball inactive when phone rings" command. Or maybe they should just disable the trackball to have any effect on phone features, such as silencing.

rydintl1 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have had the Pearl since the 12th when it came out. Since it did not have an official BB case available at the time (and still doesnt until the 20th) I just purchased a small "Body Glove" one they had at the T-Mobile store for 12 bucks and I have not had a problem with the "ringing." Yes, it vibrates twice first (according to the profile I use) and then rings and YES as soon as I begin to pull it out of the body glove, the ringer goes off but by then I have already heard the ringer and it served its purpose.

ayomik no está en línea Stack level 1

Try holding down the mute button to put it in Standby Mode instead and see if that resolves the issue for you.

lushtaoh no está en línea Stack level 1

The mute option does not resolve the issue of the ringer stopping when extracting the phone from a pocket or holster...

When the holster is used, available from T-Mobile specifically for the 8100, you insert the phone 'headfirst' into the holster. This puts the phone in sleep mode by way of the magnetic clasp on the holster.
    The phone will vib and ring for a call or im until you extract it from the holster and the trackball is moved which ends the ringing cycle.

bellaa2020 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by lushtaoh
    The mute option does not resolve the issue of the ringer stopping when extracting the phone from a pocket or holster...

When the holster is used, available from T-Mobile specifically for the 8100, you insert the phone 'headfirst' into the holster. This puts the phone in sleep mode by way of the magnetic clasp on the holster.
    The phone will vib and ring for a call or im until you extract it from the holster and the trackball is moved which ends the ringing cycle.
    So you're saying i'd have to buy one of these holders for me not to have this problem with it not ringing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast