I searched and could not find this. It would seem by setting a custom ringer ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Flapjack no está en línea Stack level 1

Ring profiles/Advanced: Always ring from select users?

Advertisement

I searched and could not find this. It would seem by setting a custom ringer for a user in your contact list, then selecting the "Advanced" option under "Profiles" you could have a user ring through even if your phone is on quiet. It doesn't work that way though, apparently.

I would like to be able to put my phone on silent while sleeping, then only have my phone ring when certain people call. This would eliminate the most of the riff-raff, while ensuring only the calls I want to take wake me up.

Is this possible?

McLovin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Re: Ring profiles/Advanced: Always ring from select users?

yes its possible, add a new group and put peoples names in that group that u would like to still hear the ringer, then on the properties of that group set it to use the Loud profile always or the Normal.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Good info. I'm going to have to do this as well. Thanks for the tip!

xaden no está en línea Stack level 1

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had a similar but opposite question.

I have a custom ringer set for certain people, but I only want that to apply under the Normal profile. For example, when I'm at work I keep my phone on the Vibrate profile. I'm a bit confused with the exceptions, but right now it seems as though if those people call, it would in fact play their ringers instead of simply vibrate. In the Advanced menu, do I need to uncheck their names under the "Use Active Profile Except For:"? If I do that, will it still play their custom ringers under the Normal profile? I apologize if that was confusing.

reynalthomas no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D0DA0

Anyone have info about this .... I've wondered the same thing.I'd like it to use the special ringers for certain people only on one sound profile. I need it to vibrate when I am at work. Also mistahq mentioned creating groups ... How do you create groups?! I've wanted that feature forever too! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

xaden no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by reynalthomas
    Anyone have info about this .... I've wondered the same thing.I'd like it to use the special ringers for certain people only on one sound profile. I need it to vibrate when I am at work. Also mistahq mentioned creating groups ... How do you create groups?! I've wanted that feature forever too! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I actually just tried it out since I figured that was the fastest way to see how it works. I assigned a custom ringer to my friend's phone then called my phone from it. Under the Normal profile, it would play the custom ringer. I then switched it to Vibrate profile, and it only vibrates!! The Exceptions options are a bit confusing, but I'm just going to leave it alone because the Pearl is smart enough to know that when it's on the Vibrate profile, it'll only vibrate.

mando82 no está en línea Stack level 2

i had the same question.
    i want my phone to be on vibrate/silent and only to ring for certain people.

i have my phone on vibrate (active proifle)
    i went to profiles>>>advanced>>>
    under the section "use active profile except for:"
    all the boxes are checked and it vibrates.
    i unchecked my mom's cell, since i have a custom ringtone for her.
    i called my phone and it still vibrated.
    i also unchecked the important calls box and it still just vibrated.
    i would assume that would use the active profile except for ... but it didnt.
    and i get an error everytime i try to add a custom ringtone to a group. im using 4.2.1.96 but i was getting the same error with all other operating systems.

what i figured out was if i was in the normal profile. and i unchecked one of the boxes for the people i have custom ringtones, it uses the default ringtone instead of the custom ringtone set. hence, use active profile except for...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

mando82 no está en línea Stack level 2

i tried this and still didnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Actually it is possible, a little more time consuming than just assigning a ringtone to a group but it has been done. Follow these steps.
    1. Open Profiles.
    2. Open Menu.
    3. Select New Exception.
    4. Assign Exception Name.
    5. Input From Name (Menu Add Nam).
    6. Repeat for each name in the group.
    7. set Use Profile to how you want the tone to work. (Active Profile follows Profile Settings, Others do not follow the profile settings).
    8. Set Tone to use,
    9. Save Exception.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.

VeryBerry no está en línea Stack level 3

Open up profiles
    advanced
    click box for Use Active...Important Calls
    while highlighted click menu button
    Edit
    in From box click pearl
    click Add Name
    pick the name
    select profile and tune and save.
    Last edited by VeryBerry; 08-06-2007 at 04:38 AM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by mando82
    i tried this and still didnt work.
    -

Pay special attention to step 7. Use Profile. The is where most go wrong. If you set it to "Active" the exception will follow the settings for profile that is active (other than the tone). Any other setting will always use the settings of that profile

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~