Device: RIM 8100 (unlocked T-Mobile) with expansion MicroSD Mass Storage enabled OS: Original T-Mobile OS ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Sire no está en línea Stack level 1

RIM 8100 AT&T MMS Resolution.

Advertisement

Device: RIM 8100 (unlocked T-Mobile) with expansion MicroSD Mass Storage enabled
    Provider: AT&T
    Service: Voice/Corporate BES Unlimited Data/MMS package

Symptom(s)
    Unable to send MMS ERR: "Failed to send"
    Unable to receive MMS other than header ERR: "Could not retrieve message"

Tried to delete MMS service books for transport and client, get either AT&T to resend or register personally to manually resend service books, register in HRT, graceful or non graceful shutdown/restart, and even attempting TCP settings other than blank.

RIM walked through:

1. obtaining latest AT&T OS: BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.1.154 (Multilanguage)
    2. backup of device via desktop manager
    3. renaming file 'Vendor.xml' located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader to another name e.g. Vendor1.xml
    4. executing OS
    5. following through install
    6. renaming Vendor1.xml back to Vendor.xml (cannot recall exact moment this is done but we shortcut'd this step)
    7. following through Enterprise Activation
    8. testing MMS send/receive

It's been 7 full months of not being able to take advantage of this feature and not having the time to troubleshoot to this degree but after ~2 hours with RIM support, it's like having your left arm back.

I'm posting this to help anyone else struggling to find an answer after having literally tried ... everything.

Solution was provided courtesy of RIM Pawel Piwowarczyk's patient and fantastic problem resolution skills.

Thanks Pawel and hope that others appreciate you as much as I did today.

Tony

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: RIM 8100 AT&T MMS Resolution.

Cool thanks Sire. I was unaware of this problem for AT&T.

Is this with a data plan?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I am assuming Steps 1-7 are the solution to the problem?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Looks like it was something specific to the BES platform. I have AT&T BIS and haven't had an issue with sending MMS.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I don't have AT&T but I have had this issue on T-Mobile's BIS on 4 different BB's in the last year.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Oh, oops missed the BES part.

Just trying to share lessons learned on my end and Pawel's efforts. =P

Data plan - yes, BES Unlimited.

I can't claim that this is a high occurance for AT&T MMS and RIM devices but research for the last 7 months sometimes turned up clues to others including AT&T themselves providing potential 'fixes'. Some posts here have even suggested altering TCP settings - no changes on my end.

Hope that this helps others!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    Looks like it was something specific to the BES platform. I have AT&T BIS and haven't had an issue with sending MMS.
    I also spent time troubleshooting with corporate BES support and they confirmed that there were no rules in effect to prevent MMS capabilities.

Furthermore, Pawel/RIM stated that MMS is a provider specific enabled capability independent of BIS or BES. I tried both modes during my troubleshooting. For my scenario, it ended up being OS rev related.

Tony

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I dunno. I've had .73, .89, .94, .96, and .101 installed on this phone, never had any issues with MMS. I don't doubt what you're saying, just not sure it was completely OS dependent. Glad you got it working, though. Thanks for posting it in here, too. It could definitely help others in here.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

I hear ya... thanks... =P

I think the 2 major factors on my scenario was having an unlocked T-Mobile Pearl with T-Mobile's OS and using Cingular/AT&T service. Hindsight talking I wish I tried the OS route much earlier but I always assumed that the device OS was independent of the provider.

Tony

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Its supposed to be. Other than the .73 that came with my phone, and the .96 version, the other OS versions I have run on this phone have not been AT&T.