Bought my 8120 (I know, wrong forum, but hardly see anyone ever in the 8210 ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

arysseus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242F676A

Question Right convenience key stopped working, 8120

Advertisement

Bought my 8120 (I know, wrong forum, but hardly see anyone ever in the 8210 forum) in about March 2008.

For the past few months, right convenience key lagged a bit when pressing.. then about three weeks ago stopped working all together.

Think I have a good chance of getting this replaced? I called tmobile last week, however they refused to do anything since I was on the phone that was having the troubles, and needed to call from another phone. This being my only phone, my only other option would basically be to call from a payphone, so instead going to try to borrow a friends phone tomorrow.

While I was on the phone though it sounded like I was going to be sent a new phone. What is the process? Do they send me a new phone, then I send mine back? (I doubt I get to keep the defective one).

Also, Tmobile still only has 4.3 available as their blackberry OS to download. I downloaded 4.5 on mine. Should I revert back before I send it in?

I've tried battery pulling, reinstalling OS, and everything else I could think of, so the right convenience key is definately dead.

Please share your exchanging stories (tmobile preferred) if you have any. Thanks!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I am not on Tmo but I will try to answer from my experience. If you get them to send you a new device then yes you will be asked to ship the old one back and they should send you something to return it in and cover shipping.

Before you send it back downgrade it because if not and they catch it. They may void the warranty and blame the unofficial OS on your issue. Hope this helps.

arysseus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242F676A
    Got it.

Going to downgrade to their latest upgrade now, before I call. Have a hunch they might make me read the OS number to them before I send it in, so might as well be safe.

I'm sort of glad its malfunctioning, if I'll be able to get a new one. Within the first month of getting the 8120, I accidently bumped it against my desk and scratched the screen. Nothing big, less than 2mm, but I was livid, especially after spending over 300 for the brand new phone.

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    One of the solder terminals holding the switch to the motherboard might have come loose. Not hard to fix if you're handy with a soldering iron- but it takes a steady hand and some patience.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~