It's been about 4 days since I switched from my 8703e to the 8130 on ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Review: Sprint latest 8130 OS on VZW 8130

Advertisement

It's been about 4 days since I switched from my 8703e to the 8130 on Verizon. The first night I got it, I set up BES, and saw the 13MB free right from the get go - so off to Pinstack I went to get the latest OS from Sprint. Deleted the vendor.xml file from the common/shared folder, and then went through a deleted the uncessary languages, pre-loaded pictures, and the sample video. Allowed desktop manager to do the OS upgrade. About 20-30 minutes later, including the BES register...I started with a fresh new device as follows:

Verizon Pearl 8130
    v4.3.071 (rel 137)
    Platform 3.1.0.37

I've installed/setup the following apps - with some thoughts on what I like about them:

1. GTalk
    I have been successfully running GTalk, with jabber transports for over a year, so this was the first thing to go on the device. I should say that I had issues with stability on Verizon's OS, but haven't experienced issues on the latest Sprint release. I have 3 transports (MSN, Yahoo, AOL) and of course Google capable of running on this app, and unless you simply feel the need to pay for JiveTalk, this is the way to go

2. BB Messenger
    Trying to get friends that I know who have BB's to use this is the hardest part. Once they use it with me once, they are hooked. Enough said. I wish BB Messenger could have some "transports" and this be my one-and-only IM client

4. BBLight
    I was already planning to put VZNav on (and add the 9.99 plan to my account) and this is a must-have IMHO for nav programs to keep the screen on. But I also use it when I'm tethered to the PC for charging, etc.

5. Soft Reset
    A friend recommended this to me. And while we all love that the BB is stable, it's another principle of mine that reset the device is a necessary evil and should be done periodically. Since the keyboard is not "friendly" for the 3-button requirement to do this manually, this app comes in handy.

6. Mobile Google Updater
    I'm a fan of the Gmail app versus setting up GMail on BIS. My main reason is that IMAP setup doesn't keep sent mail with incoming mail breaking the thread capabilities. The POP setup requires I do "dual maintenance on the account. With Gmail's latest version having notification, this is the way to go for Gmail users. The only reason to set up the email on BIS is if you have purchased a HTML viewer app so you can see emails in HTML. I can see the value then to set it up as a BIS account. In addition to GMail app, I installed Google Sync (for syncing calendar to Google Calendar), Google Docs, Picasa, and Google Reader.

7. BB Weather
    My wife's favorite app on here BB. I was trying to avoid installing, but going to the browser and selecting my Accuweather bookmark just isn't as convenient. This is a must have.

8. Golden Tee Mobile
    The only app I have bought to date - I'm a GT addict, and I will say that this app runs 20x faster on the 8130 than it did on the 8703e. I almost feel cheated for having to deal with this app on the 8703e, and it almost caused me to not install it. I'm so glad I did!!!!!

9. VZ Nav
    Well, I decided to take the plunge and add another $10/month to my plan to have GPS navigation. The Google Maps and Live Search map programs and tower triangulation just don't cut it for me as I travel almost every week. Since I now get a % discount on my VZW bill, this was not added cost from my prior bill. So far, the navigation is as expected. I'm not impressed with the GUI, so I'm likely going to install Live Search and/or Beyond 411 or possibly Google Maps to do searches, etc.

I believe the upgrade to Sprint's OS is worth the time and effort. I also would like to know / hear what apps I'm missing in people's opinion and what the benefit of the app is. Given the memory issue (or lack there of)...I'm being picky as to what gets installed. As of today, my memory is ~14-15MB when running all apps, and 18MB when reset.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Review: Sprint latest 8130 OS on VZW 8130

Nice write up but at the moment the app your missing is Alltel's 4.3 updated OS here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/558454-post5.html It is Applications Version: 4.3.0.81 Software Platform: 3.1.0.40 which came out yesterday. Update again and see if it improves your memory.

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    Nice write up but at the moment the app your missing is Alltel's 4.3 updated OS here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/558454-post5.html It is Applications Version: 4.3.0.81 Software Platform: 3.1.0.40 which came out yesterday. Update again and see if it improves your memory.
    Please see this thread: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...841#post559841
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Wow - guess I better put a reoccurring task in my Outlook that says...

"Check for new OS for 8130 with CDMA vendors. Download. Modify and install. Re-register with BES"

Set to run weekly, indefinitely