It's been a busy week for my 8130. Installed Sprint's OS (4.3.0.71) on Wednesday, and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Review: Alltel 4.3.0.81 OS on Verizon 8130

Advertisement

It's been a busy week for my 8130. Installed Sprint's OS (4.3.0.71) on Wednesday, and today upgraded to Alltel's (4.3.0.81). I also used a batch file that a friend found that helps with deleting files from the OS folder to ensure that the correct files are deleted (if I should post this batch file, please advised, as I did not create it, and do not want to offend the creator - I did have a friend help me to modify this for Verizon).

I modified the install to remove all languages except English, remove the preloaded images, sample video file, and the Dimension Icon Theme. (The batch file will ask you if you want to delete these, along with Voice Dialing, and some other things)

Upgrade seem to hang at the device initialization, which concerned me. Otherwise, all apps already installed were restored, along with messages, and then the device automatically re-activated with my BES (which is nice - not sure if it's a setting on our BES that allows me to do this or just part of the install)

So far, I haven't seen a big difference with Sprint's and Alltel's. With the following installed, I have 20MB after a reset:

BBLight
    BBWeather
    Blackberry 4.3 Core Apps
    Blackberry 4.3 System Software
    Blackberry Attachment Service
    Blackberry MDS Runtime
    BB Messenger
    Browser
    Email Setup Application
    Gmail
    Golden Tee Golf Mobile
    Google Mobile Updater
    Google Search
    Google Sync
    Help
    Live Search
    MemoPad
    Phone
    SoftReset
    Tasks
    VZ Navigator

I uninstalled GoogleMaps and Beyond411 as VZ Nav & Live Search are my preference.

My main complaint is that when I upgraded to Alltel's, I lost a lot of my 3rd party and system configurations. This was not the case when putting the Sprint OS on 2.5 days ago. However, memory management seems good, and after a softreset, the system is running very good/as fast, in not faster than Verizon.

More to come. Any one else that has upgraded, please add thoughts/issues.

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

UPDATED Review: Alltel 4.3.0.81 OS on Verizon 8130

After opening several apps, doing a lot of browsing I can say that the latest Alltel OS has drastically improved the memory leaks/loss issue. After reset I'm at 19.5MB. I open Gtalk, do some web browsing, launch VZ Nav, then log into Live Search and I used to drop to 13-14MB. I've opened all of these and done some pretty goo work on the phone, and current memory is at 18.8MB. I'd say that is worth the upgrade!

vsp1140 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Review: Alltel 4.3.0.81 OS on Verizon 8130

I agree Lindy, I had the same memory leak issues until I upgraded to ALLTEL's version, After the initial reset I was at 17.5 megs and as I began to run my apps (mainly JiveTalk) It did go to 15megs where it is holding tight at now for about two days straight. Im very pleased with this update. If you are having a memory leak issue I highly recommend this update.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the initial review. Before I had seen some conflicting reports on the memory issue, so maybe I'll try this out tonight while watching the BCS game.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

Did the upgrade. No big memory gains. I guess I'll watch it and see if it "drops" less than it used to. I was kind of panicky after the upgrade completed as things were really really slow. But I let it sit for a few minutes and then did a battery pull, and a few minutes after it booted up following that, it feels about the same as it was with the .60 OS.
    Last edited by applejosh; 01-07-2008 at 10:40 PM.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

correct applejosh - had the same thing, slow at first, so I did a softreset after the initial upgrade. It doesn't run faster, but what I have noticed is that memory usage with apps opened is much less. My device routinely ate up 4-5MB with apps opening/etc., now it's about 1-1.5MB at best with a lot of big/cache-heavy apps.

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Lindycu- Please post that Batch file you're talking about. Also can we just use it without upgrading because I already upgraded and want to delete all those things?

TIA
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

No the batch file is for changing the install folder on the desktop. So you would have to "rerun" the install (or upgrade). Let me make sure my friend who shared it with me does not mind me posting it. I'm not sure who created it. It was found somewhere on a forum. PM me for more information.

chubbychibimeui no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2436BFEA

I really need this update. my blackberry rep basically knows nothing about anything. when I asked if the new update would help the memory leak he replied "what's memory leak?" seriously?! so if anyone hears of anything even a leaked beta, please let me know.

Voyagger no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Review: Alltel 4.3.0.81 OS on ATT 8300?

anyone knows if the OS 4.3 Alltel works for ATT 8300? it is fully compatible or this upgrade will damage my device?

s16ri no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Review: Alltel 4.3.0.81 OS on ATT 8300?

Quote Originally Posted by Voyagger View Post
    anyone knows if the OS 4.3 Alltel works for ATT 8300? it is fully compatible or this upgrade will damage my device?
    Better not.