Results 1 to 15 of 15

Well, as luck would have it since I purchased two 8220s from ebay and got ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #1
    gritsinct's Avatar
    gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    491

    Replace/repair trackball?

    Advertisement



    Well, as luck would have it since I purchased two 8220s from ebay and got them unlocked for AT&T, one of them is having a trackball problem. This is the first time I've purchased a phone outside of my provider AND the first time I've had a problem with a phone. It figures!

    We can move the trackball in every direction except down. It got better for a while but now is getting much worse. So I called RIM, explained the situation. Since the 8220 just came out, it should obviously still be under warranty, but I understand that I purchased the BB from an individual so it's not... fine.... Can I pay to have the BB repaired? NO!!! I still can't comprehend that. I can't pay for a repair????

    They told me I will have to find a 3rd party repairman. I have to say I'm very unimpressed with RIM regarding this stance! I understand about it not being covered under warranty, but I do not understand not being able to pay for repair! At the very least, they should provide a list of factory-trained 3rd party repair services. (I work in electronics and that is what most of our vendors do if they can't repair themselves.) So, in addition to getting out some much needed ranting, my question is: does anyone know how I would go about finding a place to repair this? It is so new that I have had no luck so far. Can anyone help?

    I have removed the trackballs from my 8100/8120 for cleaning, but this looks like a different set-up and I really don't want to make matters worse! Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    shepherd's Avatar
    shepherd no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21
    It's essentially the same process you took with the 8100. I've cleaned and replaced the trackballs from my 8300 and my 8310 a few times, and after the first time, it's pretty easy. You can check out how at horizonwirelessonline dot com, where you can also purchase replacement trackballs. (You can also try gsm4world as well, but horizonwirelessonline has tutorial videos)

    -Strike that, my memory's horrible. It's cnn.cn that has tutorial videos. You can also purchase replacement parts from there, as well.
    Last edited by shepherd; 11-18-2008 at 12:49 AM.

  3. #3
    gritsinct's Avatar
    gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    491
    My issue with the 8220 is that long silver strip that runs between the keys from the trackball housing. If that is part of the trackball housing, I have no idea how to remove it. I do not want to do any damage at all to the BB. It doesn't look the same as the older styles to me, although I think the trackball itself is the same. I will check out the videos and see what those sites have to offer though. Thanks!

    Also, what could be stopping a brand new BB's trackball from rolling down? It's not like it needs to be cleaned as of yet. It seems like something might need to be replaced.....

  4. #4
    shepherd's Avatar
    shepherd no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21
    It does sound like it might need replaced. I'd actually go as far as to say that the person you bought the devices from on ebay should be responsible though legally isn't. Morally, that little detail is something that definitely should have been included in the summary.

    I believe horizonwirelessonline also does send-in repairs.

  5. #5
    gritsinct's Avatar
    gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    491
    Great! Thanks

  6. #6
    gritsinct's Avatar
    gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    491
    Now that it's been a while since the 8220 came out, does anyone have any idea how to replace the trackball? Do I have to go in from behind like with the Bold? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  7. #7
    eleung321's Avatar
    eleung321 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    96
    i would think so.. i tried to look for a guide to change the housing i am picking up from CNN. . but no luck.

  8. #8
    galavanter's Avatar
    galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by gritsinct View Post
    So I called RIM, explained the situation. Since the 8220 just came out, it should obviously still be under warranty, but I understand that I purchased the BB from an individual so it's not... fine.... Can I pay to have the BB repaired? NO!!! I still can't comprehend that. I can't pay for a repair????

    They told me I will have to find a 3rd party repairman. I have to say I'm very unimpressed with RIM regarding this stance! I understand about it not being covered under warranty, but I do not understand not being able to pay for repair! At the very least, they should provide a list of factory-trained 3rd party repair services. (I work in electronics and that is what most of our vendors do if they can't repair themselves.) So, in addition to getting out some much needed ranting...
    RIM most certainly does repair out of warranty Blackberrys. If the rep didn't get into that with you I suspect it was because they didn't want to hear your rant when they told you it is a fixed fee in the neighborhood of $200.00. "What! For a trackball replacement!!!"

  9. #9
    gritsinct's Avatar
    gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    491
    Good point, I certainly would rant about $200 to replace a trackball! :-)

    But she even went and checked with a supervisor (or at least put me on hold and said that was what she was doing) and came back and told me they wouldn't. Oh well, $200 is way over my trackball budget so I guess it's irrelevant...

    I ordered one and will attempt the replacement myself. I would just feel better if I could get info on how to do it!

  10. #10
    luciferseamus's Avatar
    luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by gritsinct View Post
    Good point, I certainly would rant about $200 to replace a trackball! :-)

    But she even went and checked with a supervisor (or at least put me on hold and said that was what she was doing) and came back and told me they wouldn't. Oh well, $200 is way over my trackball budget so I guess it's irrelevant...

    I ordered one and will attempt the replacement myself. I would just feel better if I could get info on how to do it!
    replacing the track ball is EASY just make sure you are careful with the clips that hold that silver ring on after that just turn the phone upside down, tap out the old assembly, put in the new one, and then just snap the ring back in place

    good luck
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey


  11. #11
    gritsinct's Avatar
    gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    replacing the track ball is EASY just make sure you are careful with the clips that hold that silver ring on after that just turn the phone upside down, tap out the old assembly, put in the new one, and then just snap the ring back in place

    good luck
    I know it's easy on the 81xx - I've done those before...

    What concerns me with the flip is that the silver trackball housing is different, set flush into the BB with a bar running out from each side. So it doesn't look like you can remove it from the top like with the older models. Has anyone attempted this? Can you remove like the older models?

  12. #12
    Berryadict's Avatar
    Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,297
    From Balsillie and Lazaridis on down, RIM happens to personally use their own products. So who among them would allow designs which would preclude the easy maintenance of trackball assemblies? It is obvious from previous designs that they appreciated the necessity of regular cleaning and ease of replacement. Why was this abandoned?

  13. #13
    luciferseamus's Avatar
    luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,930
    ohh I see what you are saying, hmm haven't even seen it yet, so I'm not sure how it would be done.


    good point berry addict, why would anyone abandon the sleek elegant (EASY TO USE) former style, to go with something much more complicated? I guess maybe it's cheaper to build that one single piece as opposed to making the silver ring and individual buttons on either side.

    damn cost effectiveness!!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey


  14. #14
    gritsinct's Avatar
    gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    491
    I just thought I'd share my experience of replacing the trackball on the 8220. I discovered that you do have to take the BB somewhat apart to replace the trackball.

    So here's how I did it, in case someone winds up in the same situation:
    1. remove battery and SIM card
    2. Unscrew all 6 screws from the back using a T4 screwdriver. (The top 2 screws have covers over them that have to be pried out. The bottom 2 screws are covered by white labels. I believe that if you remove those white stickers you void your warranty! That wasn't relevant to me but might be for some people.)
    3. Open the flip and gently separate the top (keypad and surround) from the bottom.
    4. Gently pry out the old trackball and replace.

    At first I thought I needed to remove the circuit board (or whatever it's called) as the video of the Bold shows them removing that and then popping open a clip to remove the trackball. But the 8220 seems to be set up differently with the circuit board attached through the flip hinge and not removable in the same way as the Bold. So you do not have to remove it in order to replace trackball on 8220.

    Note: Be aware that the speaker is attached to the top and you don't want to flatten the small metal contacts on the bottom middle or you will have no sound. It's very easy to do when reassembling - as we found out the hard way! :-) Luckily they are soft metal and easy to pull up slightly to regain the contact. But because they are soft metal, I'm sure they will also break easily.

    So now my daughter has an 8220 with working trackball and sound! LOL

    Hope that's helpful to someone!

  15. #15
    Sirthinks's Avatar
    Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    ohh I see what you are saying, hmm haven't even seen it yet, so I'm not sure how it would be done.


    good point berry addict, why would anyone abandon the sleek elegant (EASY TO USE) former style, to go with something much more complicated? I guess maybe it's cheaper to build that one single piece as opposed to making the silver ring and individual buttons on either side.

    damn cost effectiveness!!
    Because some of us like to move out of the stone age once in a while.... ;-)
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •