this sounds like a naive question (and to someone who considers themself above average BB ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sany33 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question removable drive not to be found

Advertisement

this sounds like a naive question (and to someone who considers themself above average BB knowledge wise) but... i'm trying to set up a blackberry for a friend. on my own, i have a 2gb transflash card which pops up the explorer window to manage the media everytime i connect it to my pc.

but when i hookup this other pearl (no media card, but under advanced>media card, mass storage support enabled and media card support on), this does not happen. i would expect it work out the same way, but instead of using the media card memory, the phone memory. when i go to explorer on my computer then to "removable disc E" to look at the files on the phone, i get the typical error message of "please insert a disc drive to E..." how do i get this to go away, and get the typical blackberry>videos, ringtones, music, pictures folders to show up?

i really do not know what i am doing wrong, i just want to transfer one measly song for this guy! thanks so much for your time

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: removable drive not to be found

he MUST have a media card for mass storage mode.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

yeah he's correct mass storage mode only works on the memory card.

so there is absolutely no way to put a song or anything onto the phone using the desktop manager or anything? what if i took my card, but it into his then did copied and pasted the song from my card to his device memory... would that work out?

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

you could do that.
    when you have the song on your memory card in his device, then go Media, menu and select Explore. Navigate BlackBerry\Music find the song and hit menu then copy, it will ask you where to save it and see if you can save it to the device memory

before i have to take out the battery and get my memory card out and all that jazz, do you know whether its possible to copy and paste videos that way as well? or is there a file size maximum?

i forgot to say before, thanks so much for your help cliffr

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

no problem. There is a limit yes, you are limited to the remaining amount of free system memory. Remember this is used for the call logs, emails, sms, address book etc so you are shortening it by putting a song. I also read recently that the max file size is 2.5mb although I do not know for sure as I've never been brave enough to sacrifice that memory
    I would highly encourage a memory card, pretty cheap on eBay and other online sites (just make sure they are with strong feedback).

PIN/ID

^ beat me haha

that is DEFF a quick way to use up all that much needed memory

yeah, he's planning to get one as soon as possible once i told him all about the wonders of having one (and showing off my 300 songs on mine). i'm in the middle of it right now, i'll try out a video and various songs and get back to you if i find a rough maximum.

so, after trying it out.. i was able to move a 1mb song from my card to his device memory but 2 and 4 mb files did not work. just in case you wanted to know. thanks for your guys' help!

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by sany33 View Post
    yeah, he's planning to get one as soon as possible once i told him all about the wonders of having one (and showing off my 300 songs on mine). .
    he would love the extra card i have filled with dvd rips

i wonder where i put that

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

Quote Originally Posted by sany33 View Post
    so there is absolutely no way to put a song or anything onto the phone using the desktop manager or anything? what if i took my card, but it into his then did copied and pasted the song from my card to his device memory... would that work out?
    Yep, this would work.

HTH
    Peter
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery