Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi: New to the Blackberry world. I want to know if there is a way ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ariemoshe no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Reading word/excel/pdf on 8100

Advertisement

Hi: New to the Blackberry world.
    I want to know if there is a way to read word/excel/pdf files on my BB8100 without using a data plan (emails).
    On my Palm I was able to synchronize with the manager and read those files.
    Thank you.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Reading word/excel/pdf on 8100

Just use the Desktop Manager/Media Manager probably the same way as you did with the Palm.

If you plan to store a lot of documents you should think of getting a MicroSD storage card. A 2 gig one can be found for under $60 on Amazon.com

2ndHalfCor no está en línea Stack level 1

No-can-do. Unless you use the astonishingly expensive 3rd party eOffice software, you can only view docs received as email attachments. With a data plan you can save them on the storage card, attach them to an email and send it to yourself, but that's the only way. Strange, but true.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ariemoshe no está en línea Stack level 1

I am amazed.. a system like this that does not enable you to read a simple document. thanks for the info.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by ariemoshe
    I am amazed.. a system like this that does not enable you to read a simple document. thanks for the info.
    Arie, you can actually read the docs, you just can't edit them without the additional software. I know that isn't everything, but. I actually read many Word Docs from work on my BB, but never have found a need to have to edit while on my BB, it would take too long on a handheld.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

That's because all BlackBerry devices are designed to use a data plan. They are not meant to be a simple PDA with a cell phone. If you use the Pearl in the manner it was designed to be used, there is no problem reading any of these file types. If you need the editing capability, expect to pay for it somehow.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

Just to clear this up, I know I can read them if they are part of an email, but can I read them if they are merely stored as documents on the card? From what I read the answer is no.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
    Just to clear this up, I know I can read them if they are part of an email, but can I read them if they are merely stored as documents on the card? From what I read the answer is no.
    That is correct. In a corporate environment, the BES server will convert the documents to a readable form for you when they are attached to an email.

As someone else mentioned, a BB probably isn't the best choice if you only intend to use it as a phone and don't use the wireless data capabilities. (Please don't hang me for being a heretic! )

daruma no está en línea Stack level 1

As a newbie to BB and pinstack, I can almost understand why there isn't a general need for opening PDFs. But what about all those web links to PDFs? It's annoying to follow a link on the BB browser and then discover you can't go any further.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

daruma, I have had no real problem opening PDFs from the Browser, unless the have been Scanned Image PDFs or very large files. Most open alright, but there is some format loss.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

ej
    ej no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    280A5A37

How did you manage to do it? I'm tryin to view my ERB (army stuff) on here. Its in PDF format through the web page but it doesn't let me view it. Maybe its top big. Lemme go get the exact file size and I'll post back so I can get the proper help.
    wreckless music
    makin the hits

www.wrecklessmusic.bravehost.com

add me on myspace www.myspace.com/wreckless_music

daruma no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB
    Many thanks but I haven't been able to open a single pdf on my Pearl via the browser. Are you saying I ought to be able to? If so then do you have any suggestions? Many thanks - and happy new year!

rivviepop no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by daruma
    ~via BB
    Many thanks but I haven't been able to open a single pdf on my Pearl via the browser. Are you saying I ought to be able to? If so then do you have any suggestions? Many thanks - and happy new year!
    I can only get it to work with really small PDF files -- I have a ~220K one that I can view with the browser, but a ~2meg one fails with a server error of 500. I'm not sure who's issuing the 500, I think it's the T-Mo/Blackberry gateway; it sure isn't my webserver. So basically useless for me.

<rant>
    In short: PDF viewing on a BB sucks, it's a very large hole in a supposed business phone. The belief that PDFs will only ever be mailed to you is erroneous, a lot of us have PDFs to store on the memory card that need read standalone. This is the face of business today! A lot of places discourage the mailing of documents (mine does) as well; RIM is stuck in the dark ages, they need to get Adobe coding a native viewer like they have for S60 and WM5 devices.
    </rant>

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

The Pearl is not really a business users phone like many other BB's. It was greared as a cross over phone for the normal mom and pop, kids wanting MP3 and a camera, etc... If you want a full business BB, the Pearl is not it.

Your not lugging around a laptop or this big thing (normal business BB) strapped to your hip, its a tiny phone that fits in a pocket.

I think it works well for what it is.

wasntxme no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2408fbdc

Aug2007 and I still can't read any size PDF from the web with TMO 8800 business version.

Must get this resolved. I would gladly settle for downloading a pdf and then emailing myself, but can't figure that out either.

Didn't see any info above on how to download a link/pdf. Emailing the link didn't work.

Any help appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast