Hello! I'm going to be taking a trip outside of the US for 2 weeks. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

carlo949 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Questions about Unlocking a Pearl

Advertisement

Hello!

I'm going to be taking a trip outside of the US for 2 weeks. Someone told me it was cheaper to purchase a prepaid sim card there and use their carrier instead of signing up with T-mobile for the International calling. Anway, I wanted to get my phone unlocked for this.

I have a few questions on the effects of having your phone unlocked.

First. I'm sure that my tmobile features will be disabled, but will I be able to regain all my phone programs/settings/ when I return to the US and put my original Sim back in ?

Second. Does this void any warranties?

Thrid. Is this a hard process?

Thank you!

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA
    Alright, sorry for responding so late but I gathered some info for you. So here's how it works

To get an unlocking code you just have to call T-Mo and they will give you one with-in 24 hours and they will also send you step-by-step instructions on your email on how to use it. This service is absolutely free so you don’t have to worry about that. Now when you go to a different country you just insert a different sim card and use it for as long as you need with the code or serial # that T-MO gave you. After you go back to your original sim card in US none of your info/programs will be lost. You will be able to regain them right away. And to answer your last question about warranty, absolutely not. It won’t affect any of your warranty. And judging on my own self I'd say it's a very easy process. For more info, please ask and I or anyone else will be happy to help you.

PETE
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]

Evoluti0n no está en línea Stack level 2
    great info peter!

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

What about O2 in the UK?

I'm in exactly the same situation but I'm with o2 in the UK. Does anyone knows how do I unlock an o2 pearl?
    I doubt o2 will email me instructions like Tmo in the US...

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA
    Quote Originally Posted by rashumon
    I'm in exactly the same situation but I'm with o2 in the UK. Does anyone knows how do I unlock an o2 pearl?
    I aint that good with all these names. It might help me out to find some stuff for u if u'd tell me wats "o2"

sorry

Thanks, o2 is a major UK based mobile network operator www.o2.co.uk

Gar-williams no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hi - I went through this with T-Mobile UK, but not as a T-Mobile customer, which perhaps added to me difficulties. Check out the thread below.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...tml#post108371

Upshot was that T-Mobile could do it, but could take up to 28 days as they supposedly have to get the code from RIM. That's after you write in and send cheque for Ł15. I would check with O2 first and see what they say.

Failing that the alternative is to go to a 3rd party. I did a lot of checking around for someone in UK but the answer I got most of the time was that the unlocking software isn't reliable enough for such a new handset. As the post above shows, I went to gsmphonesource.com and got everything sorted in the end.

Definitely seems to be easier in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Gar-williams
    Hi - I went through this with T-Mobile UK, but not as a T-Mobile customer, which perhaps added to me difficulties. Check out the thread below.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...tml#post108371

Upshot was that T-Mobile could do it, but could take up to 28 days as they supposedly have to get the code from RIM. That's after you write in and send cheque for Ł15. I would check with O2 first and see what they say.

Failing that the alternative is to go to a 3rd party. I did a lot of checking around for someone in UK but the answer I got most of the time was that the unlocking software isn't reliable enough for such a new handset. As the post above shows, I went to gsmphonesource.com and got everything sorted in the end.

Definitely seems to be easier in the US
    Thanks for the info
    i talked to O2 and indeed its the same - 28 days waiting and 15 squids on my bill... how exactly did you approach gsmphonesource.com? i mean i checked their site and they list all sorts of US based setups for the pearl but how do i get the unlocking code for a UK O2 phone?
    how much did they charge you?

Thanks again
    Rash

carlo949 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks Pete!!!!!!!!!

Gar-williams no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the info
    i talked to O2 and indeed its the same - 28 days waiting and 15 squids on my bill... how exactly did you approach gsmphonesource.com? i mean i checked their site and they list all sorts of US based setups for the pearl but how do i get the unlocking code for a UK O2 phone?
    how much did they charge you?

Thanks again
    Rash
    Rash - it wasn't cheap $125, although I saw the price has come down to $100, and what with the exchange rate against the pound, it's a good time to pay it!

The option you're looking for is "any Pearl unlocked" rather than all the US network options. When you select it you end up at a PayPal page; you have to enter details of the network and country the phone is locked to, model name and number, IMEI number (the code is specific to each IMEI number) and PIN number. That's about it. It might take up to 1 week allowing for the 8 hour time difference, but this guy (Adam) can do it and all works first time.

Let me know how you get on, or if you need any further info.

Gareth

hootie311 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EF9D15
    wow t mobile takes 24 hours with cingular, it takes 5 days, for the unlock code to get to you, and u have to meet a lot of requirements

tee51397 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E8FA80
    What are the Cingular "requirements," any idea? I'd like to know what I'm going to be getting into before I experience the run-around first hand.