I love the Pearl, and am planning on buying one from T-mobile next month, but ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Chaucer no está en línea Stack level 1

Questions about Pearl without data plan

Advertisement

I love the Pearl, and am planning on buying one from T-mobile next month, but I've got a few questions that I hope you can help me with (a forum search answered a few of my others).

First, you should probably know that I mainly plan to use the Pearl for the PIM features - web surfing, email, etc aren't as important as the calendar, notes, etc.

1. Will I be able to remove the "Data connection refused" error message?
    2. Will I be able to install apps/etc OTA?
    3. For someone like me, who really isn't interested in BIS, would the Pearl be a good investment or should I wait for the 8320 and wifi, etc?

Thanks for your help!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Questions about Pearl without data plan

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ you will not be able to install apps OTA or remove the data connection refused message without the data plan.

b_d0za no está en línea Stack level 3

If you do not have a data plan on the Pearl, you can go to Options, then Network, and turn Data Services to OFF. Take your battery out for a half a minute to reset it or use SoftReset and it will be gone.

You will not be able to download OTA, however I have found a way to get OTA only downloads if you want to try it. It is kind of time consuming your first time, but... here's the link:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...nlaod_ota.html

If you do try it, make sure you read post number 11 in that thread. It explains an error you might get.

For someone like me, who isn't planning on getting the data plan, do you think it would make sense to wait for a wifi model? My thinking is that by doing so, I might be able to get some of the benefit of the whole BB experience without the extra cost.

I'm a poor college student... that explains some things... :-)

b_d0za no está en línea Stack level 3

What year are you in college? Do you live on campus where you will have wifi access all the time?

I'm fixing to graduate and got the Pearl a couple of months ago. I know I will be using the data plan in the near future for emails and stuff once I start working. But if you are a freshman or sophomore and plan on being around campus for a couple of years I'd probably get one with wifi. Check out the 8300. Looks pretty sweet to me.

I'm going to be in graduate school (read: a student for the next 5-7 years) so I will have almost constant wifi access.

The 8300 does look pretty sweet, and if the BG rumor of May 7th holds true, I shouldn't have to wait long. My contract with Alltel is up at the beginning of May, so it'll be good to switch.

Any other thoughts about the Pearl vs 8300?