Greetings all I have many questions, but I will start with just a few. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hexwulf no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20626B9D

Questions

Advertisement

Greetings all

I have many questions, but I will start with just a few.

I am not 100% new to BBs, but I am new to owning an 8120.
    I purchased it unlocked, from someone local.
    It's black with titanium/silver on the sides, with no branding whatsoever.

Ive been pondering upgrading the handheld firmware/OS, however, all I am able to find is 4.3.
    When I look at OPTIONS>ABOUT; it reads: v4.5.0.9 Platform 2.7.0.39
    Am I on 4.5? Why is it I can not find the version I am using?

I am also curious, as to what wifi applications for the blackberry there are, that will work without an actual blackberry plan. I am with Fido, and data in Canada is ridiculous.

I try the gmail app, and it tells me I need data, but I simply want to use wifi, to avoid data charges.

I also try blackberry maps, as well as google maps, and both of them lock up.

Sorry for the wall of text, and future apologies for many questions to come Im betting.

This device is slick otherwise.

Cheers
    hw

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    "...what wifi applications for the blackberry there are, that will work without an actual blackberry plan."

If my experience is any indication (8120 with wi-fi and no data plan) you can forget about Opera mini and Viigo as well as BB Maps and Google Maps. The 1st two should work but I have been unsuccessful making them work and the "maps" programs require a data plan. I think emails are all going to require a data plan too.

Good news: BB browser works great..
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    If it says 4.5 on it than your might be running a beta version of the software which is not officially out yet.

most of the apps like maps ect. Requiere a data plan a few you will be able to use using wifi like the browser as it was mentioned above.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3
    Are you sure it's an 8120 and not an 8100? The software version you listed is for the 8100, not the 8120...as far as I know. Do you have a picture of your phone you could post?

hexwulf no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20626B9D
    Thanks for the help guys, I had my suspicions, and now they seem to be valid.

It is an 8120, as it has the wifi, I can use the browser no issue, as well it states the hardware model in the information of the unit. I unfortunately do not have a photo of it.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Download jl commander, run it and get sreec shots of the probs you are having...makes it easier for us to help.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    You chose a great device. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~