OK, I am using CBW as my carrier, when I'm home the best signal I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

[Question] About Using Alt+NMLL

Advertisement

OK, I am using CBW as my carrier, when I'm home the best signal I get is -95 to -105 db. If I switch my network to Cingular my signal goes down to -85 to -89 db, which I know, the lower the better.

Heres my Question: Is -105 db good enough? I have to use "manual" network setting. I forget to switch back to "Auto" sometimes when I leave home. Should I stay on "Auto"?
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: [Question] About Using Alt+NMLL

As a rule of thum, usually -100dbM is the break poin that you don't want to go below in order to insure that the phone is still usable. Some phones due to the nature of the RF circuit design will not work well at that level, but most phones will be fine and useable at that level. Anything below that and you are flirting with strange reception behaviors, but like I said all phones work differently and some are tuned better to retain signal and reject noise at those levels.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Thx squeaker!! Guess I'll leave it on "Auto" and see.
    OH, I forgot 2 mention, I got aluminum foil between the battery and the door. Shiny side facing in, is that right?
    thx
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

I have heard o people using the tin foil but never tried myself. From years of radio operation and repair, I find it is best to just not block the antenna and use your body as a radiator. I usually try to find out where the antenna is positioned within the device and then not try to block it in anyway, and this usually yields the best reception results for me. I have been known to use foil as shielding if a particular device has an antenna that is prone to being overdriven due to the location of certain chips within the device (but that is a whole different discussion). I also use the same care when deciding how to hold the device so as to not block the mic to ensure good voice transmission. Now if I can get the wife to follow these guidelines every time as sometimes her conversations are unintelligible.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Hehe, Know what u mean, thx squeaker!
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Okay. I'm so confused. The lower the better?

Which is better? -105 or -90? (Cause -90 is greater than -105)
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

The lower the dbM rating (or the closer to zero is the better). In your example -90 dbM is a better and stronger signal than a -105 dbM signal would be. It is kind of like wire, the lower the guage of wire the larger/thicker the wire would be (ie 32 guage is like pencil lead, but 1 guage is like the size of those green, horses-leg sized pencils that the older generation used to write with early on in school (like k-2 grades). Make more sense now. dbM is a time weighted signal so the lower the delay and time weighting is the greater the signal strength, clarity, and throughput becomes. Does any if this make more sense now???

Edit: just to add for a better example if you have a really high end stereo at home they usually read the volume level output in dbM readings so they start out somewhere around -100 dbm and in a perfect world would go to 0 dbM as the volume was increased. Maybe this example makes more sense.
    Last edited by squeakr; 07-06-2007 at 08:17 AM.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

That's what I thought.

I'm just saying that the HIGHER number, the better. These are negative numbers. -90 > -100.

For some reason, it was just confusing me! I really thought I had it figured out but the lower part didn't make any sense.

Thanks!
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

The higher and lower part can be confusing as the terminology loses something when taken out of context. -105 dbM is a higher number in signal weighting terms, so a lower signal weighting is the closer you get to 0 as expressed in dbM. The dbM is essentially attenuation, the higher the attenuation the lower the signal. Although in mathematics -90dbM is the larger of the two numbers, in an electronics environment it is a lower attentuation (there is where the labeling and terminology come into play). Boy this sure makes things clear as mud. I had to reread this to insure that I was wording it correctly as I started to confuse myself. Does this clarify the confusion anymore??

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Gotcha. Thanks!

It's been a long time since I had to deal with this stuff and I remember it being a total PITA. I used to know it like the back of my hand, but it's one of those things that the more you think about it the more confusing it seems to get.

So... back to our regularly scheduled programming!
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade