I'm a new user, and I would like to set my Pearl up to automatically ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

Question about password protecting bb

Advertisement

I'm a new user, and I would like to set my Pearl up to automatically lock after, say, 30 minutes.

When I go into Options/Security Options/General Settings, it has password disabled. I don't want to enable it, until I verify my password (I have a password set up which I use when I completely turn off the bb, but I'm not sure that's the correct one (it was set up on my previous phone, on the sim card I believe).

What I'm trying to do is CHANGE my password before I enable password locking of my device. As I understand it, if I don't enter the correct password 10 times, the device will wipe out all of my data... NOT a good thing!

So... where do I go to change my password? I go into General Settings and click Menu, but it doesn't have option to set or change password.... again, I want to make sure I know what my password IS before locking my device.

Also, do most of you leave your device unlocked, and rely on the password program to protect your data, or do you have your Pearl automatically lock after a certian period of time, in case you ever lose it?

Thanks!

(P.S. did a search without much success)

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Re: Question about password protecting bb

you would need to enable the password setting to create a password for your BB

Thanks cwakulik!
    Didn't want to lock without making sure I knew my password, but couldn't find where to set/change it until I enabled the feature!

Do you have your bb auto lock, or just rely on the Password program?

Thanks again!

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Shel
    Thanks cwakulik!
    Didn't want to lock without making sure I knew my password, but couldn't find where to set/change it until I enabled the feature!

Do you have your bb auto lock, or just rely on the Password program?

Thanks again!
    autolock is a program that enables the keygaurd/password protect program when you don't want to use a password. for instance, lets say I wanted to key gaurd my phone without having it password protected or having to manually hold the sym key down. I would use the autolock program, that way it "autolocks" without setting a password.

and as for me I password protect to keep my data safe.

Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    autolock is a program that enables the keygaurd/password protect program when you don't want to use a password. for instance, lets say I wanted to key gaurd my phone without having it password protected or having to manually hold the sym key down. I would use the autolock program, that way it "autolocks" without setting a password.

and as for me I password protect to keep my data safe.
    Sorry, guess I used the wrong terminology. What I was asking about was the security program, NOT the keylock (autolock) program.

Guess it makes sense to set your bb up to lock your device, and require a password, after a specified time period, in order to protect your data.

Thanks!

bfdm_mexi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a27821

is autolock "keyguard" on the phone already or do I have to download it?

When does the phone "password lock" itself?
    AT&T. 9000 Bold. Fresno, CA

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by bfdm_mexi
    is autolock "keyguard" on the phone already or do I have to download it?

When does the phone "password lock" itself?
    Without the 3rd party app called "autolock", the only way to auto lock your bb is through enabling a password.

bfdm_mexi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a27821

k too much overlapping terminology going on here let me start over...

k the KEYGUARD function on the phone.. where you lock the phone so you dont acidently dial France while its in your pocket... is there a way to automate that feature so that when lets say the backlight goes black it key locks?

the Security lock I get but I dont use.. I have nothing to hide.........yet.
    AT&T. 9000 Bold. Fresno, CA

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by bfdm_mexi
    k too much overlapping terminology going on here let me start over...

k the KEYGUARD function on the phone.. where you lock the phone so you dont acidently dial France while its in your pocket... is there a way to automate that feature so that when lets say the backlight goes black it key locks?

the Security lock I get but I dont use.. I have nothing to hide.........yet.
    YES there is a program that can put the KEYGUARD function on when the backlight turns off. You can set it to different times as well, it's available here:

http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/

WITHOUT this, the ONLY way to put it on auto KEYGUARD is enabling a password. Password protection puts your phone automatically on KEYGUARD (lock). Putting your phone on standby DOES enable "keyguard", and is far superior to keyguard but unfortunately there is no way to automate the standby mode.

Hope that clears some confusion up!
    Last edited by absolved; 07-11-2007 at 04:23 AM.