Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you just recently purchased a Red Pearl from Cingular/AT&T and had the following issue, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Problems with your Red (Cingular) Pearl?

Advertisement

If you just recently purchased a Red Pearl from Cingular/AT&T and had the following issue, I might be able to help. Try these fixes before you take the phone back to the store. Please note, this is a known issue by Cingular/AT&T and RIM, (links to follow) so don't let the store people brush you off or act like you are the first person to have this issue. For the record, the rep at my local store was extremely helpful in getting this issue resolved for me, so I have nothing but good things to say about the help they offered.
    When I installed the Desktop Manager on my laptop, I followed the instructions in the Quick Start guide, and linked the phone. After the first update, when the phone rebooted the browser icons were gone. I tried several things at the suggestion of many on this forum (Thank You!) and the store rep. Nothing seemed to help. I was given a new phone at the store, we verified before I left that everything was working fine. As soon as I got home and linked back up, I was right back to square one.
    If you are in the same boat as I am, here is what I was able to do to fix the issue:
    1. Do a complete backup from within Desktop Manager. Disconnect your Pearl from your computer.
    2. Completely uninstall/remove the Desktop Manager from your computer. You will have to use the Add/Remove software utility if you have Windows.
    3. Go to the Cingular site and click on the Support link, Phone/Device Support, Blackberry Software downloads. Or click (sorry I can't post links yet) to go to the Cingular download site. Be sure to click the "Red Pearl 8100c" software, not the "Main Slate". (Although that software should work just fine, it is a slightly different version)
    4. Download the latest version. As of today's date, it is:
    Software For BlackBerry Pearl (Red 8100c)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.0.89 (Multilanguage)
    Package Version: 4.2.0.89
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.2.0.73
    Software Platform: 2.2.0.41
    File name: 8100M_PBr4.2.0_rel89_PL2.2.0.41_A4.2.0.73_Cingular .exe
    File size: 68.02MB

5. Install on your computer, follow the instructions given by the setup wizard.
    6. Start the Desktop Manager, connect your Pearl, follow the prompts.
    7. Upon completion of the software update, your Pearl should shut down and reset automatically. You will see the hourglass spin for up to 5-10 minutes while it processes the upgrade/reinstall.
    8. Once your phone resets and you get the main screen back, finish the install by doing a hard reset. You may know this better as the famous "battery pull". Take the battery out of your phone, leave it off for 30-60 seconds, reinstall the battery and wait for it to boot up.
    This should reset everything back to normal.
    The first time I did this, I thought it didn't work, because nothing came back. After several long minutes of "what next?" with my sales rep, he finally asked "Okay, did you remember to pull the battery?" After I got done slapping my forehead, the phone came back just fine, and my browsers were there and everything works great.
    Here are two sites that you may find helpful. One is the Cingular Customer Forum that had a thread with fellow customers with the same issue, and the other is the RIM/Blackberry Tech Support document that outlines the fix.
    I hope this is helpful to anyone trying to get their browsers back.

PM me or BM me if you want the Cingular or Blackberry support threads. I'll repost these links after I can post links.

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Problems with your Red (Cingular) Pearl?

Thanks for sharing!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ct5694 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    n/a

wow that is a lot of great information!! thanks so much for posting that. That is good that it is a known issue within Cingular. I just wonder if the average customer at Cingular would want to go through all that trouble. i work at a Cingular store and i do not see my customers being pleased going through all that trouble. I bet they would just complain to me and ask for an exchange or even worse, RETURN the blackberry i really hope cingular creates a patch and sends out Pearls that are fixed.

im going into work soon, i hope i dont have to deal with angry customers regarding this issue because we have been selling quite a few red blackberries

Joelynn no está en línea Stack level 1

Problems with Red Pearl

Are their problems with the Red Pearl losing icons when syncing with PC because of disk sent with new phone?

Thanks Joe

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Re: Problems with Red Pearl

Nope...I havne't had an issue here. But then, I dont deal with the DM...I just use the USB cable to charge my phone.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

did you 'sync' it or did you install applications?

Joelynn no está en línea Stack level 1

Just used the software that came with it, it auto updated and browser icons were gone. I have read about this at Cing forums but not here.

Thanks Joe

piperbaby no está en línea Stack level 2

A couple of us who have the red pearl had to reinstall the OS after using the switch device wizard. It was giving uncaught exception errors. There should be some older posts on it you can search for.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

here found this older thread it may help
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lar_pearl.html

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Its a common problem with the Cingular Reds. PM me or BM me if you have trouble. I got pretty good at fixing the issue, had to do it twice.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

ct5694, all I can suggest is be helpful, courteous and understanding like my rep was. Yeah, it was frustrating having to repeat this stuff again after I got my phone exchanged, but once I realized what I had to do to fix it, it didn't take any time at all. Thats why I posted it here, I hope it saves somebody else a lot of time.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

we had the same issue on both our pearls. you don't need to uninstall the existing desktop manager, just install the newer file on the computer. it's a problem with one of the library files, i don't know which one but it will give you a message about it when you install it. it just needs to repair the file and then it's good to go.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

just download the latest software from cingular's website and install it, that should take care of the problem.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Thanks for the update on that suggestion, psi_chick. I agree, the DM uninstall doesn't appear to be necessary. I ended up having to go back to the original CD-ROM to reinstall that. Worked just fine second time around, not doing the DM uninstall.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Here are the links to the other forums that I had indicated in the OP.

The RIM help doc:
    http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...%200%209268566

The Cingular Customer Forum:
    http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board...hread.id=17040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast