Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have been dealing with this strange issue for over a year - since I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mm1334 no está en línea Stack level 1

Problem with Call Forward and ID - HELP!!!

Advertisement

I have been dealing with this strange issue for over a year - since I got my phone. I'm hoping there will be some real experts on here that can help me - this issue has gone well over the head of level 1 and level 2 blackberry tech support at T-Mobile, and even a RIM technical representative who happened to be at their facility one time when I called.

I forward calls from my work-issued Nextel to my personal phone when I'm at home - my personal phone is my Blackberry Pearl 8100.

When someone calls the Nextel, it will forward to my personal phone but the caller ID shows up "Private Number".

There have been random instances during the last year when the caller ID started working for a day or two - these instances have been completely random and without any consistency.

I have tried having my nextel forward calls to my friend's Pearl 8100, which is identical to mine and has the same software versions. His phone shows the caller ID of the forwarded call just fine.

I went through literally every setting on my phone and my firend's phone - ensuring that they match. Yes, this was a very long and tedious process.

I tried putting the SIM card from my phone in his phone, and vice versa. The Caller ID showed up fine on his phone still (with my SIM), but still failed to show up on mine (with his SIM). This obviously seems to indicate the phone is the problem.

I tried changing my SIM card (just to be safe), wiping the handheld completely, and resetting all settings - with no success.

I tried forwarding calls from my wife's t-mobile RAZR to my phone to ensure it wasn't something about Nextel, and the same issue continued.

I finally got T-mobile to replace my phone. So I now I have a new SIM card, a new phone, and newly updated software. Here's the kicker - the call forwarding still shows Private Number when it comes up on my BRAND NEW PEARL 8100. It still shows up fine on other Blackberry Pearls.

I am completely lost on this one - if replacing the phone completely didn't fix it, what could be the issue (unless I got another defective phone, which would be a really weird coincidence).

Somebody please help!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Hey mm1334,

Do you have security enabled on you BB? If you do, is the content protection enabled for your address book?

Are the numbers that you're getting calls from in your address book?

Reddog187,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I have tried phone numbers in my address book, and phone numbers not in my address book - with no difference in results.

By "security enabled" are talking about is content compression under the security options general settings? I have tried having that both off and on - and i've tried it both ways for the address book setting under content compression. This was the first thing suggested by a RIM Tech guy who happened to be on hand at T-Mobile one day when I called. It has not made a difference.

Thanks!

Bueller?

I thought this site was supposed to be the best for this kind of stuff - can nobody here help me with this?
    PLEASE!!!!!!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Sorry for the delay...trying to wrangle the troops

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Is your Nextel phone also a BlackBerry?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thought maybe if it was, there was something with the Restrict My Identity setting and it being set to Network Determined.

Thanks for the replies, but no it's not a blackberry - it's an I580. Also, the settings on it must not be the issue because it shows up fine on other phones when I forward it somewhere else. And if I forward a different phone to my blackberry the caller ID still shows Private Number.
    Thanks !

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    i'm going to do some research and see what i can find
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    that actually sounds like a caller id issue not the device
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

PIN/ID
    LESS
    When you hit call from your BB does it display your number at the top of your calling list?

Mark's Theories:

It's not your phone, it's one of two things: the syntax of the phone numbers in your addressbook on your Berry (most likely) or a glitch in your OS. Switch with your friends 8100 again, but this time switch not only the SIM but also your data. Simply make backups of both phones and restores to the opposite phones. If the problem switches to your friend's pearl, then it's the phone number syntax or something in your address book; if the problem remains on your phone it's a glitched up OS that needs to be replaced.

Phone Number Syntax: When a call comes in, the network reports the phone number, and your address book application matches it to a number in the database and shows the name on the screen. If the numbers don't match, then the phone reports "unknown number" or "private number" depending on the OS. The difference in phone numbers is usually the "1" - 1-800-123-4567 as opposed to 800-123-4567. It can also be a number without an area code. 915-123-4567 is calling but your address book has the number as 123-4567.

Glitch in your OS: Find another copy of your OS from a completely new source. For example, if you're on Tmobile and are using their OS 4.2, then download a 4.2 from Orange, AT&T or Voda, and install it and update your phone. By doing this you correct several possible glitches that may be causing this: an actual error in the coding in part of the old OS (which means if you wipe and reload the same OS, you reload the same problem), or perhaps even an inadvertent change to your blackberry.alx file, or a missing or corrupted .cod - -

Since you're already replaced your pearl once, and the problem persisted, I'm leaning heavily to my first (phone number syntax) theory as the most likely to be correct - unless USBing your new 8100 to your computer made it update to the old OS.

GL -!!

Thanks Mark

Your replies are the best I've gotten, but let me pick your brain a little further.
    The new phone I got was doing this before anything at all was changed or loaded on to it. I stuck my SIM card right in it, had no address book or anything, and tried receiving a forwarded call. Problem persisted. Also, I'm not really understanding the address book issue. I get the private number thing regardless of who is calling and if the phone number is in my phone book or not. It also doesn't matter what the area code is - we have 4 common area codes in my area and I've tried incoming calls from 3 of them. I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking if that means anything to you - does that mean it's not the syntax thing you're talking about?
    Also, I've been through 3 or 4 different versions of the OS. I got some from T-Mobile, and some through another site that I linked to off of Pinstack. I've also ensured that my friend who has the same phone is running the same exact operating system that was downloaded from the same site. The problem has persisted through all the different operating system versions.

Here is another weird addition to the story - I found another phone doing what mine is. I've got another friend who just got a Pearl, so I tried forwarding my calls to his phone last night. "Private Number" popped up. I tried it again to my other friend's, and it still works on his. The only difference we can find between our phones is the actual phone number - most notably the area codes. Check this out and see if it means anything to ya:
    The phone FORWARDING the calls has a 678 area code.
    Both of the Blackberrys' that DO NOT work have a 678 area code.
    The one that DOES work has a 334 area code.
    I noticed that the FORWARDING phone forces a 1 before the area code in the forwarding menu for the number it's forwarding to (i.e.1-678-xxx-xxx), and I thought perhaps that had something to do with it.
    I just tried forwarding from another phone with a 678 area code though (no 1 before it) and the problem, of course, persisted.

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

RSCStacker

No, I do not see my number when I press the call button.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast