I recently moved to the pearl (from windows mobile) and have encountered a problem with ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gavinfhall no está en línea Stack level 1

Question problem with a large (270MB) audio file

Advertisement

I recently moved to the pearl (from windows mobile) and have encountered a problem with the mutlimedia player. It plays music no problem however when I try and play a an audio book it crashes the phone. Its a large Mp3 file which plays fine on my PC and my windows mobile device (although the player was rubbish).

any thoughts?

Gav

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: problem with a large (270MB) audio file

Is it an audible.com file? If so, Blackberry doesn't support it. I wish they did as I have a library of almost 300 audiobooks.

no its not, although thanks for that, as was about to go down that route!

Its an MP3 file, and as I said I can play it on my PC and my previous windows mobile device. I get the player with the file name and the phone crashes and does a full restart

NerdWeez no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30f8565e

Onboard memory is 64 megs, then subtract the used space and you are left with available free memory. You can't play audio that won't fit on the onboard memory (I think). The way around this would be for someone to develope an audio player that streams from sd. Then sd bandwith may be a problem, I dunno. Btw, this could all be wrong, it is my educated guess.
    "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his soul?" -Jesus Christ

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

Nerdweez,

I do not think the pearl's ability to play media is limited to its availble system memory. Case and point, I have a movie that I have stored on my sd card that is around 300 mega and I am able to play it with no problem.

While I have no idea why the mp3 the original poster will not play, I don't think its because of it exceeding the available system memory.

BReady

doophus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E29EB7

Have you tried a third party app to play your book or just the pre loaded media player? I would try using "Multi Play" and see if that helps. It is free and much better then the pre loaded media player.

I've been using the preloaded player, I'll give Multiplay a go and let you know. if someone has had success with a 300 meg video file I struggle to see why i have a problem unless there is some arbitrary size limit to an MP3 file that prevents it lc
    locating the final "bit"

any way I'll give this other player a try

Gav

exactly the same problem with Mediaplayer from Dollars 5, maybe the file is corrupt somehow?

G

doophus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E29EB7

I think that was my best idea, I hope that somebody who is a little better comes along shortly.

Yclif no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2051259D

I don't think the size is the issue.

You know what, I had an MP3 file that for the life of me never got to work on the pearl, so i used this online convertor http://media-convert.com/ and ran the file through it. I know what you're thinking, why would I convert an already converted mp3 - well, it worked. I used it ever since and never failed me. Give it a try, what have you got to loose.

suckafree no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Yclif
    I don't think the size is the issue.

You know what, I had an MP3 file that for the life of me never got to work on the pearl, so i used this online convertor http://media-convert.com/ and ran the file through it. I know what you're thinking, why would I convert an already converted mp3 - well, it worked. I used it ever since and never failed me. Give it a try, what have you got to loose.
    yea try to convert it, my friend has one of those personal recorders and he put the file on his pc, and it said mp3, but we looked at it properties and it was encoded as mp2 or mp1, and windows has the codecs to play them

thanks guys "converting" teh file worked although the suggested media payer didn't I used "Switch" (can't post the url)

thanks again

Gav