install stops 20% into "Installshield Wizzard" "Configuring Windows Installer" after about a minute and then ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pigman no está en línea Stack level 1

problem installing desktop software

Advertisement

install stops 20% into "Installshield Wizzard" "Configuring Windows Installer" after about a minute and then gives the syntax message for msi. i have tried everything from turning off virus spam tools etc and have tried it with CD that came with pear and downloads from bb and verizon. all same results. any ideas?l

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Re: problem installing desktop software

Are you installing on Windows Vista? If so, you need the latest version of Desktop Software -- Vista is picky about drivers. And hurry up before SP1 comes along and Microsoft intentionally breaks a few more things

Installshield can be picky -- a missing or misplaced TEMP directory is enough to throw it out of whack. Or a wrong-version DLL. I've had machines with as many as 5 coexisting Installshields, with its differing engines, kernels, versions, iUsers,...

Is the MSI Installer service active? I usually disable mine ... because I want to know when things install.

Could there be a bit of garbage left around from a previous install attempt that makes IS or MSI believe another install is going on -- in which case they abort?

pigman no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: problem installing desktop software

Thanks gkast1. The OS is Win XP Pro SP2 fully patched. Tech support had me unzip the download and then run the Blackberry Desktop.msi. This produced the same condition plus and additional error window (Illegal function call), however it then went on and completed the installation. This was for 4.2. I am going to back out and repeat today with 4.3 using this approach. However, I will first add back my c:\temp directory which was recently removed. We'll see how this goes and I'll report back.