Sorry if this is the wrong spot for a DM-related question. I just got my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Lynza no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DF2024

Problem connecting to DM with USB - BT is fine

Advertisement

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for a DM-related question.

I just got my first BB, a Pearl, about 5 days ago. I adore it. Everything on it works perfectly. The only problem I've had so far is connecting the Pearl to the DM using USB. I can do it with Bluetooth no problem, but I can't actually transfer any media with BT.

So far I -

- am NOT using a hub
    - have done the clean uninstall per instructions here
    - have tried every USB port on my computer
    - verified the computer can see the Pearl when connected, and it's getting a charge

When I get home I'll try -

- a different cable (my husband got a Pearl too after he saw mine)
    - a different computer
    - possibly another clean uninstallation

Can anyone suggest anything else? I feel like I've done something wrong or missed something.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Problem connecting to DM with USB - BT is fine

Sounds like you are headed down the right road to me.

Pulling straws here - maybe a restart of the Pearl with a battery pull before turning it back on.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead

What error are you getting?
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

PIN/ID
    23DF2024

I'm not at home, but it was basically "no connection found". It finds the BT immediately and adds "PIN#####" to it, but not USB.

did you got to(on dm)-options-connection settings-select usb by the drop down
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

PIN/ID
    23DF2024

Yep, that was the first thing I tried. I figured maybe it needed a hint to use USB. I did notice with the BT thought that as soon as it was connected it brought up a window asking if I wanted to use BT. Never did that for USB, and gave the same "no connection found" error. Thanks for your suggestions by the way.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by Lynza
    Yep, that was the first thing I tried. I figured maybe it needed a hint to use USB. I did notice with the BT thought that as soon as it was connected it brought up a window asking if I wanted to use BT. Never did that for USB, and gave the same "no connection found" error. Thanks for your suggestions by the way.
    Did you install Desktop Manager from the CD that comes with the 8100? The CD installs a USB driver for the Pearl.

Another Member had the same problem with an at-the-office work connection. Turns out he had installed DM from a download, not from the CD. When he installed DM with the CD he brought to the office the next day, the connection fired right up.

PIN/ID
    23DF2024

Yep, mine was installed both times using the CD (which goes against everything about drivers I've ever known ). I did the clean uninstall with the Pearl disconnected last night, then waited until the software was open to plug it in. Maybe that's the problem? I think I may have connected it prior to installing the software the first time I installed.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by Lynza
    Yep, mine was installed both times using the CD (which goes against everything about drivers I've ever known ). I did the clean uninstall with the Pearl disconnected last night, then waited until the software was open to plug it in. Maybe that's the problem? I think I may have connected it prior to installing the software the first time I installed.
    I would uninstall everything then reinstall. I would try a reinstall both ways. First without the Pearl being connected, the second time, with the Pearl connected.

Also, did you look in Device Manager to see if there are any exclamation points?

Also, what is happening when you press "Detect" connection in DM? I assume it says it can't find the Pearl.

PIN/ID
    23DF2024

Yep, when I hit Detect it gives the "no connection found" (or similar, I'm not where I can look at it right now) error. Devman looks fine - I see a Blackberry device under USB, as well as a Mass Storage device.
    I'll do the reinstall again tonight after I check on the other computer with the other cable.

You might also try installing from t-mobile.com/bbupgrade could be a bad disk.

PIN/ID
    23DF2024

Ok, it works perfectly on my husband's computer. at least I know my baby's not broken. Now to figure out what on my machine is causing issues.
    Going to update my VIA drivers next.

PIN/ID
    23DF2024

Wahoo! Ok, it took this:

I reinstalled the Via chipset, specific to my motherboard, and now it is beautiful lovely and perfect. Thanks everyone for their help! Hopefully this will be helpful if anyone else has this problem in the future.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Have you tried on your PC with Bluetooth turned off. It might be seeing the BT connection and therefore ignoring the USB.

Just a thought.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles