Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

you should have just kept the camera in and put tape over it when you ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

Re: Pried out camera, finally!

Advertisement

you should have just kept the camera in and put tape over it when you go places that dont allow cameras = p

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Re: FINAL ANSWER

Quote Originally Posted by sanjeevjoshi
    1. Black electrical tape over camera hole (underneath battery cover
    2. Fixed two black pieces from VHS tape covers in the two holes in the battery cover
    3. Additional insurance by black tape from below the battery cover

Whew!! But now I have a Blackberry Pearl with no camera, working perfectly (no java.lang errors, no theme issues with all themes exposed, no battery issue, no ringtone issue, no LED issue, no speaker phone issue, in fact - no issue at all .....)

How long will this perfection last I wonder...
    I was going to suggest covering the holes only. But I thought that would look like the camera was still operational in some manner [considering there are pinhole cameras the size of a knat's a**.]

Was going to suggest you make the one cover with a hole punch. It fit nice.

Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-13-2006 at 08:23 PM.

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~The cover you're looking for is probably not made, but you could try www.bbrepairshop.com. They have a plethora of BB parts(OEM and aftermarket). If anyone has it I think they would be your best bet. Good luck. You have shown you certainly have some creativity and cojones(and maybe a screw loose) when it comes to your BB. Keep us posted on your frankenstein monster of a BlackBerry.

sanjeevjoshi no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks Sanfrancisco! Did that cover for 2 holes. Then dropped a little epoxy glue to hold it forever...

Now I am thinking... is it time to drill holes for the speaker, now that the camera obliteration is complete? Sanfrancisco, what do you think? Is the mod worth it based on the difference in performance you saw? I think the vol of speaker is ok, although at higher volumes it rattles a bit.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Now I am thinking... is it time to drill holes for the speaker, now that the camera obliteration is complete? Sanfrancisco, what do you think? Is the mod worth it based on the difference in performance you saw?
    I personally think the speaker volume is terrible, and as soon as I saw that they had replacement backs, I drilled the holes in mine. So much better volume now. You could barely hear it before (Or atleast for me it was like that). Unfortunately though, RIM has the same crappy design for the next round of BB's that roll out. Guess their R&D department didn't have any issues. I hope they scroll through these boards and see that NUMEROUS people have complained about the speaker volume and NUMEROUS people have also drilled holes in their back cover to help the problem.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

I'm bookmarking this thread in case anybody ever says something about me going on about the camera in the Pearl.

As an alternative, your local hardware store should carry something called Plasti Dip. It's the stuff they dip the handles of tools in. I comes in black, and dries glossy, so you don't have the matte finish of the VHS case - haven't seen a vinyl one in maybe 10 years, though I probably have several in my VHS collection (10 years of F1 on VHS).

Very nice McGuyver solution though, SanFran.

Actually, if you sealed the 8100 in a plastic bag with say, the cap of a beer bottle over the trackball then dipped the bag in Plasti Dip, and let it dry, you'd have an instant case for it. I need to redip some wrenches anyway, so I think I'll try that on some sacrificial 7100's.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

drjman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C49B7

Anyone know where that link to the volume fix (drilling holes in speaker) might be?

ddn79 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: FINAL ANSWER

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    I was going to suggest covering the holes only. But I thought that would look like the camera was still operational in some manner [considering there are pinhole cameras the size of a knat's a**.]

Was going to suggest you make the one cover with a hole punch. It fit nice.

Sanfransico, you just made my day. lol

merrijm no está en línea Stack level 1

sanjeevjoshi,

Like many, having a camera on the phone creates a problem for me.
    I would love to know more detail on how to remove the camera without damage to the rest of the phone. Can you give a more detailed description of the procedure. I am assuming this is irreversible?? I am also curious if anyone (non-enterprise) has been able to disable the camera through the IT policy. It would seem to me that if you can disable it through an IT policy forced through BB enterprise, then there must be a way to do it if you are not on an enterprise server. I am planning to contact BB/RIM on Monday to see if a solution exists through this path.

If you could help us with your experience it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anybody seen or heard of battery door for 8100 without camera hole? I finally pried out the camera since I need to go into buildings where camera phones are not allowed. Amazingly, phone still works great.

Now, if I can find a battery door without the camera hole, it would be perfect... anybody hear of one?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

merrijm, welcome to PinStack.

If you are not allowed to use camera phones, having it disabled by a IT policy may not satisfy the security department concerned.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

mm
    mm no está en línea Stack level 2

holy jesus you all are INSANE.

i love it. this has got to be the best forum on the internet. period.

so, where might i find this "replacement back" you speak of? or do i really have to drill a hole through my case? i'm horrified. but the speaker DOES suck...

mm

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Hey Blackberry Addicts will do anything to avoid separation from their pet uh Handheld

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

sanjeevjoshi no está en línea Stack level 2

Moderator, lets make this a sticky, I am getting requests and queries,,,

Folks, I did not try the IT policy thing, most security guards are not savvy enough to trust IT policies, plus its bad for the image to walk around a secure building with an obvious camera in view...

Here's the steps I took:

1. Took out battery cover
    2. Used a sharp prying tool (you can use a screw driver with a pointed or small square head) to essentially lever out the camera. It snapped and came out
    3. I think this is irreversible, since it probably broke some connections at the back of the camera
    4. Covered up the hole with black electrical tape
    5. Used two black vinyl (from old VHS tapes) plastic pieces to fill the two holes in the battery cover (flush with the top), and dropped a little epoxy
    6. For added insurance, taped the two battery cover holes from the back with some more electrical tape
    7. "Hid" the camera application from the menu - I could also delete it using application loader, but why bother...

Now I am done...

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

1: This thread made me cry.
    2: I declare SanFran the McGyver of the board.
    3: This thread made me cry.
    4: You coulda got a cheap backup phone for $25 on eBay.
    5: In Connecticut camera restricted buildings ie Courthouses/Sikorski physically check phones for cameras.
    6: This thread made me cry.

secrecyguy no está en línea Stack level 1
    Anybody seen or heard of battery door for 8100 without camera hole? I finally pried out the camera since I need to go into buildings where camera phones are not allowed. Amazingly, phone still works great.

Now, if I can find a battery door without the camera hole, it would be perfect... anybody hear of one?
    EEK!
    ASK ME ABOUT NINTENDO WII

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast