OK, first let me say that it is not my phone. It's my bosses. And ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jar8100 no está en línea Stack level 2

Possible Dead Pearl 8100

Advertisement

OK, first let me say that it is not my phone. It's my bosses. And I have searched the forums!
    It is a refirb. T-Mob (on Rogers) 8100.

It does not power up (no blinking LED, no white screen of death, no hourglass) nothing. It does nothing when the power button is pressed.
    When it is hooked up to the computer (via USB) the comp. says its there, then not , then its there, then not - stays that way (not there).
    The Pearl LED lights up for a split second and the light under the keyboard flashes (less than a split sec). The display does not even come on (no flash, nothing) and the LED under the trackball does not light either.
    If i try to do anything with BDM (Backup) it immediatly pops up that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. I know that there is no problem with my computer because I use it all the time with my Pearl.

This all started when my boss (after getting a call - from Rogers) got a bit pissed and lightly tossed the phone on the desk. I should state that it was in its holster. The phone slid across the desk and fell (approx 30 in.) to the wooden floor. After about 10 min. he picked up his phone , put it on his desk and then about an hour later wondering why he wasn't getting any phone calls tried to turn it on. It did not work, and he is all worried about losing the information on it.

I am in the process of reading about JL Cmder and OS re-install but don't know if getting the info off the device is going to happen or even if the device can be fixed.
    Any help Please.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    Sounds like there could be some internal damage done by tossing onto the table then the floor.

I think you'll probably be spending too much time trying to troubleshoot it. Instead, he should take it back to the store and get it replaced (hope he has insurance) although if it's less than a year old, he may get a warranty exchange if it doesn't show much external damage.

Nope, no insurance and it's a refirbished device and past the 30 day return limit (no warranty exchange).

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have had this happen on 2 previous devices myself. You will have to delete the Desktop Manager and ALL old Device OS versions off the PC. You can do this one of 2 ways:

1) Use the Control Panel to delete the BlackBerry Device OS and Desktop Manager versions.

2) Use the Registry Editor. Start>Run. Type in regedit. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software and delete the Research In Motion folder. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE and delete the Research In Motin folder.

Then find and reinstall both the Desktop Manager and Device OS from this site. Make sure it's the most recent for both. YOU WILL lose all information when doing this so it will be like the device came from the factory.

If you are on a BES, you can do a wireless activation to restore what was saved on the server. However, I am not that familiar with the process as I don't use this. Hope this helps.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    You can still exchange it. All carriers offer a 1 year warranty that will cover any manufacturer's defects (JUST DON'T TELL THEM HE DROPPED IT).

PIN/ID
    21DA38F3

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    try the store first better them to deal with it then you. then try the other. did he save any of the numbers to his SIM card?

@wxboss - That presumes that I get the hourglass or white screen of death (I get nothing!) just a millisecond flash from the keyboard.

@EricaJ - It was not bought from a 'carrier' store and the DM was a new install a month ago and the OS I only installed last week. It is on BIS.

@JCG3 - No SIM contact save, at least I don't think so (he's pissed and went home, left it with me)
    Last edited by jar8100; 03-17-2008 at 04:36 PM.

PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    The link I sent also helps in conditions where the device may appear to be 'dead'. If it can be brought back to life (excluding hardware failure) then this tip will be able to pull it off.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    X2 for what Erica said. If the issue is Software related, then the "What to do if the device isn't recognized" will help get you back on track. If its hardware related, due to the drop, most likely its damaged and will need to be replaced.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

So I go through and uninstall and re-install and all that and I can actually get it to read the PIN but...
    It gets to the 'Wait for device initialization' point and goes all the way through 'Reconnecting to JVM' and at the end it pops up with "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation".
    I must add that at NO POINT do I recieve the option to automatically back up and restore. At what point does that happen?

(just a thought) - in those instructions should there not be a 3a. or 4a. that says 'Start DM'??

SO my boss finally went into the store that he bought it from and they said since it was past the 30 day return policy (phone is 52 days old) that he would have to deal with the manufacturer or carrier. The phone is branded T-Mobile and his account is with Rogers (in Canada) that's not going to work.

So it appears like it's spare parts for now.

PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    Sorry to hear that, but I was pretty sure it was a hardware issue which would need to be handled by the carrier or manufacturer.

If anything, this is a lesson learned for your boss.

Unfortunetly It's a no fix problem for him, can't take it to Rogers because its branded T-Mob and he doesn't have a T-Mob account so not much can be done. Try and sell it as spare parts or keep it as spare parts for my phone. I've already had someone interested in the screen but I need to take it apart first to find out if there is the possiblity of a loose internal contact or any actual signs of damage (personally I think the motherboard is cracked)