I was hoping to setup a POP3 account on my Pearl without a data plan. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

phuz no está en línea Stack level 2

POP3 on Pearl without data plan?

Advertisement

I was hoping to setup a POP3 account on my Pearl without a data plan. I went to cingular.com/blackberrysetup and gave myself an account, but when I try to set it up on my phone, it fails to "activate."

jdiiams no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a04078
    not sure bout the diff email names (imap, pop3, and so on. i do know that if you are running on a server, you need the BES data plan. the BIS won't work from what i have seen. BIS will take care of gmail, yahoo, hotmail premium. also the original 8100's when they came out wouldn't allow anything with the internet so people couldn't rack up outrageous bills for data usage. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiiams View Post
    not sure bout the diff email names (imap, pop3, and so on. i do know that if you are running on a server, you need the BES data plan. the BIS won't work from what i have seen. BIS will take care of gmail, yahoo, hotmail premium. also the original 8100's when they came out wouldn't allow anything with the internet so people couldn't rack up outrageous bills for data usage. hope this helps.
    Yeah, I already have my phone unlocked. I took care of that within the first 5 minutes. I don't have a BES server. I just have a standard plan, and want to use any gmail, yahoo, etc. account.

PIN/ID
    24a04078
    unfortunately, in my experience, only the data plan will allow you to finish everything. Try it for a month and see if you like it. if you don't, ditch it and just use the phone. key probs tho...

If by chance you do get on the internet by accident, you could die of heart failure if a 1K bill comes in.

NO MMS. can't send or recieve any multimedia. just text and text alone.

my best analogy when selling a BB to someone new is that the BB is the Porsche of phones. however, if you don't have the data package, you take away the engine that makes it a great car... just MHO

Quote Originally Posted by jdiiams View Post
    unfortunately, in my experience, only the data plan will allow you to finish everything. Try it for a month and see if you like it. if you don't, ditch it and just use the phone. key probs tho...

If by chance you do get on the internet by accident, you could die of heart failure if a 1K bill comes in.

NO MMS. can't send or recieve any multimedia. just text and text alone.

my best analogy when selling a BB to someone new is that the BB is the Porsche of phones. however, if you don't have the data package, you take away the engine that makes it a great car... just MHO
    I can get online with it, but I rarely do.
    And I DO have MMS on my phone (unlocked that with the new firmware) even though the damn AT&T sales reps said there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to do it without a data plan....crackheads.
    I just pay (well the company does) $0.25 per MMS, but since I rarely use MMS, its not a big deal.

PIN/ID
    24a04078
    i sometimes forget that i'm talking to Pro's here lol. well, the only other thing i can think of is the fact that since you don't have the data package, RIM doesn't know you want the email service. and since they don't know, they can't activate your email addy's to your phone. try adding the data package for a day, see if you can get your emails up and running, then turn it back off and see if that works. your best bet is to just call care or go into a store and ask to add that feature and stay there with them and then take it right back off.

tlmcclaskey no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    You will not get emails to your bb without the blackberry connect. Also the BIS will do POP3 email accounts.

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    lol how do you expect to get email, which uses *DATA*, without a *DATA* plan? Thats like asking how to get cable tv without having cable installed.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by javijavi View Post
    lol how do you expect to get email, which uses *DATA*, without a *DATA* plan? Thats like asking how to get cable tv without having cable installed.
    LOL, well...then I guess I'm a dolt! because I have full access to the MediaNET and MMS and SMS messages, and I don't have ANY type of data plan. Sure I pay per usage, but I sure as hell don't need a plan to use them.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Yes but email is considered data on a BB and for that, you need the data plan. Not MediaNet. Sorry.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by phuz View Post
    LOL, well...then I guess I'm a dolt! because I have full access to the MediaNET and MMS and SMS messages, and I don't have ANY type of data plan. Sure I pay per usage, but I sure as hell don't need a plan to use them.
    You said it, LOL, not us! LOL! And you will find that per usage adds up---better to get the plan. Media is FAR different from a data plan!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    You said it, LOL, not us! LOL! And you will find that per usage adds up---better to get the plan. Media is FAR different from a data plan!
    I guess if my company says something to me about it, I will add one. I don't NEED pop3 on my phone...just thought it would be a nice touch.