Hi, My phone is about to die and I just noticed that it hasnt been ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ironzeppelin04 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask me=)

Pls Help Quick...

Advertisement

Hi,
    My phone is about to die and I just noticed that it hasnt been charging... the USB port on the phone seems to be dead since no usb cable or ac adaptor will charge it....
    Can I back up my phone to the sd card? If so how?
    I do not care so much about the programs but the numbers and messages I need, I know I have most of the numbers on the SIM but I do not know if ATT will take the SIM when I return the phone, the IT guy said it depends on the retail store most do not take them but some may...
    I could probably figure most of this out by searching my phone and/or forums, but I wanted to make sure I can do it since I only got about 10% battery life
    THANKS IN ADVANCED!!!

I know that I could probably figure out on my own or at least find something in other posts/forums but I only got less then 10% battery to do this
    Last edited by ironzeppelin04; 10-08-2008 at 10:51 PM.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    You cannot back-up to the SD Card. It will need to be backed-up to a PC with the Desktop Manager installed, which will be difficult if your USB port doesn't seem to be working.

This is where it becomes very important to do a routine back-up which I know is great in hindsight.

I assume you are not on a BES as these items are synced wirelessly and would be saved by the server.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    I do try to back it up as much as possible, but I am not sure if I have been doing it correctly, as I have only been in BB for less then a month! I am still getting used to how the phone and software work, and I know that my software has given me weird messages that make me concerned that maybe it has not backed up correctly...

And no.. unfortunately I not on a BES

thanks for quick response

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    When you do a back-up, you should select where to save the file, go to that location and see if you see any of the back-ups you have done.

I understand being the newbie. We were all there at one point.

If your BB isn't that old, what happens when you plug it in to a wall charger? Does the battery indicator show a lightning bolt over the top of it or does nothing happen?

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    It's a Pearl 8120... It used to show a "power plug" icon next to the battery, but now nothing happens, When I was on the phone with ATT getting a replacement setup, I took the battery out (to look for water damage, there was none) when I put it back in it was plugged into the AC adapter and I got the symbol but then it went away again.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    So let's rule out the issue with the wall plug...can you plug it via USB cable into a PC with the Desktop Manager and confirm it will not charge at all.

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    yes it is the same thing, well actually nothing!

sugarspicebaby1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Depending on where you bought it ATT will replace it. If you purchased from an ATT store - shouldn't be a prob. They will chk the water mark (in back by battery- if pink/red=water damage) and ask a couple basic questions about usage. Then should replace since still under warranty. I did something similar earlier this yr. If purchased else where (Best Buy, RadioShack,etc) you might have different circumstances but still give it a try.

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Thanks sugarspice,
    yeah I already talked a rep over the phone and since I purchased it online from the ATT store, he set me up with a full return/exchange. I just have to take it into the store, I just I hope either the stores are finally caring the 8120 (which I dont think that they are since the new FW hasn't come out for ATT yet) or at least get a temporary phone.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yeah, if you can't charge it all, you'll need to get a replacement.

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Kalebs dad, thanks for sticking with me.
    I should be ok, I just found the backups from desktop manager, and I just finished backing up my contacts to my SIM card (even did some of them three times just to make sure)... I work with hard drives a lot so I know the importance of never having too many backups lol...
    I am also surprised how long the phone last with 5% battery!
    Last edited by ironzeppelin04; 10-08-2008 at 11:54 PM.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yup, if you'll turn the "radio" off, it'll last quite awhile. Sorry we couldn't actually fix the issue but post back with any additional issues you have in the future.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    iron , did you try putting the usb charger only half way? or it doesnt charge at all?
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Oh, Believe me I will be posting quit a bit on here as I continue to figure this thing out... I am currently waiting for ATT to release 4.5 and I then I will try to get remote desktop working on here!

Thanks Serv,
    Yes I have tried that.... I did just find that if I reboot the phone with AC adapter (not usb) then it will charge until the cord comes out... Weird!!!
    I think I should just get it replaced since it has been less then a month!

All you members are GREAT HELP, I really do appreciate having a place to go when help is needed, and especially when needed in a hurry
    Last edited by ironzeppelin04; 10-09-2008 at 12:32 AM.
    As we all know.... What Goes Around, Comes Around