So I went out a few weeks ago. Left my BB on the table and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

founder1856 no está en línea Stack level 1

Post Please help with 8100 Hourglass death

Advertisement

So I went out a few weeks ago. Left my BB on the table and apparently some seeped in. Needless to say I have been trying to get it to work again. I first had the blinking red light going and then I got a 507 error. I followed this thread(battery installed at the time) 10781-jvm_error_102_step_step_fix and now the only thing I have is the dreaded hourglass. So I held the usb connection to the blackberry and it works but since it is password protected and the trackball seems to not be working, I am screwed...Any suggestions? Anyone know about how much it costs to get the trackball repaired?

Thanks
    E

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Re: Please help with 8100 Hourglass death

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You said something 'seeped' in. I am assuming you mean water?

VeryBerry no está en línea Stack level 3

Because you have no trackball you can't input your password? I found one place online that sold the trackball and they are pretty pricey (bout $60). It's about $10 more for them to replace it with supposedly 24 hour turnaround.

EDIT: They also do quite a few other repairs and might be able to help you with what you need.
    Last edited by VeryBerry; 07-03-2007 at 03:09 AM.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Normally BlackBerries are pretty rugged, and can even take getting wet and come back, but they don't like that at all! Usually the biggest mistake made in attempting to revive a wet BlackBerry is not giving it enough time to dry out. Disassemble the device as much as possible without going nuts - remove the battery, dissasemble the track ball (search the forums for instructions), and leave it alone for two or thre DAYS in a warm DRY place.

When you go to put it back together, get a can of air and shoot a few blasts into the track ball mechanisim - HOLD THE CAN VERTICAL and shoot a few test blasts before shooting the mechanism to make sure you're not spraying liquid.

If the device comes up at all, plug it in with DM running. Even if DM doesn't recognize it, try running the Application Loader and reload the OS. Do NOT tell the App Loader to detect the device. If all else fails use JL_Cmder to wipe the device and then try to reload the OS.

Once again, the most important thing is to give it enough time to dry out completely. I've read several horror stories of BlackBerries getting soaked and coming back to life once given enough time to dry out.
    JerryD

founder1856 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks guys for all of your help. I took the tracking ball out and still nothing. At least the OS is working but now every time i try to put my four digit code to unlock the device and press on the tracking ball, two more digits get hit. I need to wipe the OS again and hopefully that will get rid of the password and solve my issue. Any help with getting rid of the password would be greatly appreciated

VeryBerry no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by founder1856
    Thanks guys for all of your help. I took the tracking ball out and still nothing. At least the OS is working but now every time i try to put my four digit code to unlock the device and press on the tracking ball, two more digits get hit. I need to wipe the OS again and hopefully that will get rid of the password and solve my issue. Any help with getting rid of the password would be greatly appreciated
    Go to Options->Security Options->General Settings->first line set password to Disabled.