Hey everyone, I just got a 8100 and I'm already having problems. Like the title ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Mr_LuDe no está en línea Stack level 1

Phone not charging

Advertisement

Hey everyone,
    I just got a 8100 and I'm already having problems. Like the title says, my phone isn't charging. I plugged in the wall charger last night and the led on the phone didn't like up. I thought it was the charger but I checked the connection pins on the phone and one of them was missing. is this like normal on the 8100 or am I actually missing one? (Theres four pins but room for a fifth). I would post a pic but I can't

Gotyouopen no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Phone not charging

Is it a Brand new phone?

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3

In looking at mi 8130 (which can use the same charger) I see 5 pins. Looks like you might have lost one some how. Is this a new phone? If it is I would return it to the place of purchase. If it is a used phone then, buyer beware.....
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C

if its new, take it back and demand a new one!
    if its used, well... now you know why they sold it :|

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

When plugged in does your battery meter display show a charge symbol? Also can you connect it to PC via USB and get it to charge that way?
    If still unable to see it charging either of the above ways, take it back for a new one if within your return period.

jbanger no está en línea Stack level 2

I had the same problem with my brand new 8100......ended up taking it back and getting a replacement.......fwiw I could charge via usb though.....might want to give this a try?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mr_LuDe no está en línea Stack level 1

Its new.....I haven't tried charging using the USB. Do I need to install any blackberry software to charge it using USB. Either way I think I'll demand a new one.

Phone doesn't display anything when I try and charge it btw.

ChefScott no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    212c6ad0

Probably just a bad one, mine worked for a while and stopped charging too, luckily I had done a back up recently so I could re-install without loosing to much. I just called them up and had a new one in a few days

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_LuDe View Post
    Its new.....I haven't tried charging using the USB. Do I need to install any blackberry software to charge it using USB. Either way I think I'll demand a new one.

Phone doesn't display anything when I try and charge it btw.
    Regardless of what you find out about your problem, you DO NOT have to install anything to charge your phone via USB - simply plug it into the p-c via USB cable and it begins to charge.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Actually I read that the USB drivers from the CD have to be installed to get a full charging rate from the PC (BlackBerry 101 from www.discoverblackberry.com). It will say "Unsufficient USB charging" or something like that if they aren't. I have had that problem before even with the drivers installed.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Actually I read that the USB drivers from the CD have to be installed to get a full charging rate from the PC (BlackBerry 101 from www.discoverblackberry.com). It will say "Unsufficient USB charging" or something like that if they aren't. I have had that problem before even with the drivers installed.
    I could have sworn that the first thing I did when I got my first BB (7130e) was to plug it into my P-C via USB cable and start charging it. I could be mistaken - it was almost 2 years ago and I haven't existed in BB world without some version of the software installed since.

At:
    http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...00%20101132665

it addresses the following: (see cause/resolution #5)
    Battery in BlackBerry device does not charge when using USB connection to a computer

Doc ID : KB03972
    Last Modified : 2007-08-28
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment

• BlackBerry® device
    • SDR16694, SDR39937, SDR29770, SDR28539, SDR7956

Problem

The battery is not charging when the BlackBerry device is connected to a computer using a Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable.

Cause

This problem may be caused by any of the following:
    1. The USB cable is not properly connected to the computer or the BlackBerry device.
    2. The computer is in sleep mode.
    3. The BlackBerry device is connected to the computer through an incompatible USB Hub/card.
    4. The BlackBerry device is using a battery that was not manufactured by Research In Motion (RIM).
    5. The appropriate USB drivers have not been installed on the computer.
    6. The connectors on the data port may be bent or damaged.
    Note: When the battery is charging, a small battery icon appears at the top of the Home screen on the BlackBerry device.

Resolution

Cause 1

The USB cable is not properly connected to the computer or the BlackBerry device.
    Resolution

Verify that the USB cable is properly connected to the computer and the BlackBerry device.
    Cause 2

The computer is in sleep mode.
    Resolution

Verify the computer is not in sleep, suspend, or hibernate mode.
    Cause 3

The BlackBerry device is connected to the computer through an incompatible USB Hub/card.
    Resolution

Bypass the USB Hub/card and connect the BlackBerry device directly to the computer’s USB port.
    Cause 4

The BlackBerry device is using a battery that was not manufactured by RIM.
    Resolution

Insert the battery provided with the BlackBerry device or order a new battery from The BlackBerry Accessories Store at http://www.shopblackberry.com/
    Cause 5

The appropriate USB drivers have not been installed on the computer.
    Resolution

Go to your service provider's web site, then download and install the current BlackBerry® Desktop Software version and service pack on your computer. For instructions, see Upgrade Instructions.
    Cause 6

The connectors on the data port may be bent or damaged.
    Resolution

Test with a different USB cable or a different computer. Failing that, contact your service provider.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com